Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris-Frankfurt Want to spend the last night in Paris but train leaves to late? Help?

Paris-Frankfurt Want to spend the last night in Paris but train leaves to late? Help?

May 8th, 2000, 11:15 AM
diane

Flying out of Frankfurt on July 2 with US Air and the flight leaves at 2:15 pm Checking the train schedules it seems that I can't get from Paris to Frankfurt in time to make this flight. It doesn't seem that far.
Am I reading this wrong? Any ideas. HELP?
If not Paris, then where, NOT Frankfurt.
Wanted to spend the last night in Paris.
But open to another suggestion.

Hopefully the train and travel experts are out there. Thanks for writing.

May 8th, 2000, 12:55 PM
Paula

Perhaps this will break your budget, but there are several 1-hour flights from Paris to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. I know this because we are flying into and out of Frankfurt, although we too will spend our last night in Paris, hop a plane at the crack of dawn to catch our other plane out of Frankfurt. The ticket cost $97, which is actually cheaper than second class on the train, but we had to purchase them at the same time we purchased our other tickets. It's about an 8-hour train ride from Paris to Frankfurt, so I'm not surprised you can't make your flight. Hope you find the answer you want, but it might involve sleeping on an overnight train or shelling out some extra $$$.

May 8th, 2000, 01:16 PM
scigirl

Depending on your trip plans you might also consider spending the night halfway to Frankfurt. Possibilities include Koln, Amsterdam, someplace in Belgium, etc. all of which would put you a only a few hours by train from Frankfurt. This would give you a chance to see a little bit of some place other than Paris (if that is where you have spent your trip). Good luck.

May 8th, 2000, 02:55 PM
diane

Open to flying if I could get a $97 fare. Do you know how to find that? As for other cities... well I would prefer a quaint French small town, or perhaps
Swiss? Any suggestions. The bad part is I would have to leave Paris in the early evening and arrive somewhere strange in the dark, check in and then enjoy breakfast etc. then train to Frankfort to arrive by noon? Hope I can work this out with someone's expert help. Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.....

May 9th, 2000, 01:58 AM
Tahiti Bob

The train #1611 is leaving Paris at 00h21 and reaches Strasbourg at 00h57. Then you have to change 2 times to get in Frankfurt at 09h02. So you still have an evening in Paris and then a short night on the train. Or take the direct night train leaving Paris between 10 and 11pm (with sleepers).

I found this on www.sncf.fr (french railways) by choosing Paris to Francfort VIA Strasbourg. there maybe other alternatives with late Paris departure via Metz or Bruxelles.
If you are ready to spend the afternoon in the train and not in Paris, I would suggest to stop in Strasbourg. It's on the way to Frankfurt and you can do some sightseeing in the evening (cathedral, old houses and canals in "Petite France" quarter).
The problems with small towns is that there is not much to see or to do in the evenings. And the trains connections are less frequent and you still have the catch the international train on the Paris-Francfort line.
For airfares, try www.tiss.com, it's a consolidator with often good prices.