Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris for Christmas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-for-christmas-276209/)

Amy Nov 27th, 2002 07:29 AM

Paris for Christmas

I'm going to Paris for Christmas, 21st - 26th, staying at Hotel Le Regent. I've never been to Paris before, although my travel mate has. Any advice would be appreciated!! What kind of weather can I expect? How can I get into Christmas Mass at Notre Dame? What are the must sees in December? I'm really looking forward to this trip, but need to do a little more research. Thanks ~ Aim

DearAnn Nov 27th, 2002 07:32 AM

The best research you can do now is type these questions into the text search, such as Notre Dame and see what you get there. <BR>Then you ask more specific questions.

Rita Nov 27th, 2002 07:47 AM

Amy:<BR><BR>I hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm green with envy. Please post a report so I can get some insight into Paris during the Christmas season.<BR><BR>Rita

Julie Nov 27th, 2002 08:13 AM

We were in Paris for Christmas a couple of years ago. We were unable to go to Christmas Eve Mass at Notre Dame. Seats were reserved by invitation only to persons who had done charity work in Paris. St. Eustache in the Les Hallles area is Paris' &quot;second&quot; cathedral and made a nice alternative. Actually its choir is supposed to be better than Notre Dame's. We went to Pied de Cochon for Christmas Day dinner (it's open 24 hours 365 days a year. Had Christmas Eve meal at our favorite Chinese restaurant in Paris, Chez Vong on Rue de Truanderie in the first arrondissement just off the Rue St. Denis, again in the Les Halles district. A beautiful restaurant.

xxx Nov 27th, 2002 08:49 AM

I second Rita's opinion: I am jealous! Have a great time and Le Regent is a great hotel to stay-not to mention the location, one of the best!!

Grasshopper Nov 27th, 2002 08:56 AM

Amy, Wait til you see how beautiful Paris is at Christmas. The Champs is so lit up. My advice is to go in the late afternoon to the Arch de Triumph and watch the lights go on and then walk to the Place de Concorde. Beautiful! Also, you can ice skate at HOtel deVille.

Amy Nov 27th, 2002 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the great advice, keep them coming!! I'll do my best to up date you all on my return. Julie, you mentioned you were there at Christmas time, what kind of weather should expect? I'm assuming I'll need a winter coat.

claire Nov 27th, 2002 11:27 AM

Hi, I too am off to paris for the christmas, and ahve found the replys to your message wonderful and helpful I'll most certainly be checking out the lights at the Arc, and go skating at the hotel deville, I cant wait - have a wonderful time xxxxxxxxxx

Wendy Nov 27th, 2002 11:38 AM

Amy I spent last new years in Paris and we had mixed weather. 2 days of cold rain, needed a warm trench coat, umbrella's, good boots, etc. The next 3 days were clear, sunny and cold. Needed warm coats, pants, scarves, gloves, hats, sunglasses. It's good to do the layer thing. I brought silk t-shirts to wear under sweaters. For all that outdoor walking around the hat, scarf and glovers were a must.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time! How could you not??<BR><BR>Wendy

jetset Nov 27th, 2002 12:30 PM

Hi:<BR>Yes we are going to Paris!! Actually starting from Paris all the way to the south of France to spend Xmas and come back to Paris to ring in the New Year !<BR>Just do your search on this board and you will definitely gather information you need.<BR>Have a wonderful trip!!

xyz Dec 2nd, 2002 09:20 AM

topping

RnR Dec 2nd, 2002 09:33 AM

In Parsi last Christmas, weather was in the 40s each day - and rainy one day. Thus, sweaters - scarf - hat - boots - umbrella - lined raincoat.<BR><BR>Suggest you make a reservation at any special restaurant you'll dine at.<BR><BR>See Hotel de Ville - ice skating rink - lights.<BR><BR>By all means see Notre Dame - go early!!<BR><BR>The Cheap Eats book is a worthy investment.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!!