Paris for 4 days with 15 yr old son

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprising my 15 year old with a 4 day trip to Paris mid February. I am looking for some interesting things to do. I don't think museums will be high on his list. Weather permitting, we will absolutely do the fat tire bike tour. We did that in London, and it was the highlight of our trip. I would appreciate any other ideas.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM

The catacombs might be of interest to a 15 year old. If he has any military interest, Hotel des Invalides/Musee d'Armee is great (and that's coming from a woman). If architecture is an interest, the the whole city is yours! The churches are also amazing. The climb up the towers at Notre Dame would be good and will provide an excellent view of the city. The climb up the tower at Sacre Coeur is also good.

Hard to answer without knowing why you are choosing Paris and/or what your son is interested in. Have a good time.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Surprise your son well in advance so he can participate in the planning. He will have so much more invested if he has a chance to do some reading and research ahead of time.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

It is a surprise because he thinks I am meeting my husband in London on a business trip, and didn't want to bring him because he would miss a few days of school. We will have the 10 hr flight to do some planning together. He has developed an interest in Paris because he is a first year french student in school and is enjoying learning the language. I would like to do as much of the touristy stuff as possible, but am hoping to get some ideas of things that might be more interesting to a 15 year old boy than hours in museums!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Then I will stick with my original answers and he might enjoy a cruise along the Seine to see all the monuments....really striking at night when they are lit up.

You might also add the Conciergerie which is where prisoners were help prior in their final days/hours before their appointment with guillotine. Many famous French were held there, including Marie Antoinette. Ste Chapelle is next door and is beautiful.

Paris also has a museum of natural history that is reputed to be top notch...check the Paris museum pass site to see what sites participate in the pass, days open & hours and links to the individual sites

Not a museum but the Opera Garnier is breathtaking...so opulent! You can take a tour there. If he has any interest in the arts he might enjoy.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:36 AM

Les Vedettes de Pont Neuf have a good discount if you pay in advance on their website: http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/ This is the company we always use for the river cruise.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:43 AM

www.pere-lachaise.com/perelachaise.php?lang=en

interesting historically culturally and fun/macabre too...

Chartres Cathedral makes a wonderful day trip

www.eurocheapo.com Paris other budget free stuff

Free roller blading and not so free Segway tours are fun...