Paris: Fleurie vs Bretonnerie?

Jul 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Paris: Fleurie vs Bretonnerie?

I will be in Paris for 5 nights, 12/30/06 through 1/3/07 and, since this is over New Year's, want to make my reservations now. I could use some input on these two hotels. Based on my prior 2 trips to Paris, both of these areas appeal to me and make sense georgraphically, in terms of what I'll be sightseeing. I'm a solo traveler, and although I'm out and about most of the day, I usually have dinner in my room and rest my feet. For that reason, I'd prefer a room that's not super tiny (I don't need Hilton sized rooms, but want more than 3 feet around the bed!) I also like charm and a TV and minibar. Both the Hotel de la Bretonnerie and the Fleurie seem to fit the bill. Based on reviews/messages, it looks like I'd have to get the "charming" room at Bretonnerie (150 Euros) to get a decent size. At the Fleurie, a single room is 150 and a standard room is 190. So, does anyone know how the sizes of the Fleurie's single room and standard compare? (In my travels, I've found that Eurpean single rooms are usually tiny so I usually reserve a double room.) Also, any thoughts comparing the ambience, decor & street noise between the two hotels? Thanks very much.

Jul 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM

We had the "charming" room at the Bretonnerie. You would need the large room if you would like to bring food home and have dinner in your room. Breakfast is in a cave-type room on the lower level. Oh, I just remembered that the charming room had a view of a very uncharming large auto repair place.

But we like it and we especially like the street. It was lively, and lively at night. Shops, clubs, a small theater... lots of people. The street had attractions for gay people, but I enjoyed the lively atmosphere and the fact that someone was always outside (although we probably never got back later than midnight, if that).

It is a bit of a walk to the metro, but on busy enough streets. If I remember correctly we used the Hotel de Ville stop most of the time.

Oh, plenty of food shops around if you want to bring in dinner. I am coming up with memories as I type so please excuse the exclamations.

The staff were adequate. They did everything we asked, but not exactly with huge smiles. But still, it was all timey and well done. Reservations, shuttle service, etc.

I hope this helps.

Search this Thread