Paris flea market - Clignancourt / Saint Ouen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have read absolutely every imaginable opinion about the principal flea market in Paris.

"It's wonderful."
"It's horrible."
"I didn't know you had to go under the expressway."
"I didn't feel safe."
"Pickpockets everywhere."
"I go there during every trip to Paris."
"I went once and will never return."

You get the picture. On top of that, the guidebooks are very ambiguous about it and hem and haw a lot about whether it is worth seeing or not. Yes, no, don't bother, etc.

So I have finally made a photo report about the flea market. I went there yesterday and took all of these pictures. Naturally, it will be a lot more crowded if you come during the summer. More things to buy, more police, more pickpockets, more Baby Milo (what on earth is Baby Milo? -- wait and see), and of course unbearable crowds...

So, if you want to see if this is the sort of thing you want to do or not, take a look at this: http://tinyurl.com/yk72vx6
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Soo much fun! I went there last year and loved it. Loved the way you captured the high to the low of the market. The Baby Milo is too funny because my grandson is Baby Milo! Now I have to go back to Paris and buy something. Think my husband will go for this?

I was so bummed out last year because our photos were lost because of a corrupt flash card.

Thanks, as always, for your off-the-beaten track photo reports.

Paule
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:30 AM

My favorite place for sensory overload! Great photos as usual. And I liked the "creepy rabbits"! There is something for everyone.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM

bookmarking...

Thank you Kerouac, this flea market is on my short list for my next trip to Paris. It's been suggested to me that to locate the object I was most interested (antique mirrors, books and chandeliers) to go directly to those particular aisles first but, I do see there would be so many distractions along the way.
Thank you again!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the photos.

If anyone is interested strictly in the antiques and collectibles markets at Clingnacourt/St Ouen, I've used this book for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Antique-Flea-M.../dp/0500281122
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Wow, thanks. I could see spending a day there...but then, how to get that fireplace mantle back home
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM

kerouac

Thanks-a picture is worth a thousand words. Your pictures are always a welcome and helpful contribution.

I have been several times, but it has been over 3 years since my last visit. Gotta go back. I have never found a great bargain, but I have found several items not usually found in my area of Texas.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks, guv.

Them Baby Milo hoodies is da BOMB, yo!!!!!!!!!

I want one!

Thin
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps I should quickly buy some shares of Baby Milo.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Omg, I'm in Paris now and just spent 6 hours at the Saint-Ouen yesterday too, looking and touching everything. My companion was looking for a chandelier so I took tons of photos of those we liked! Ranged from 1200 euro all the way to 9000 euro. Real beautiful stuff.

Re the silver. I also love silver and am drawn to them but searching for a particular item is much, much cheaper on Ebay, specially for unique serving pieces.

I still loved the market (btw, it was 29 degrees today!--freezing!) and felt it was like being in a museum, but with the option to touch or buy something! (I didn't though).

Should've bought Baby Milo stuff for my nieces but didn't know about them until now. Thanks for your post!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Loved it, thanks so much for posting the pics. I think Baby Milo is part of Bape clothing, which is short for Baked Ape or Space Ape or something like that, I can't remember. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Anyways, fantastic photos!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM

The Bathing Ape.

Thin
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks! I took my sister here last year. We laughed at the "scary" neighborhood. My sister lives in East Oakland. That walk from the Metro was easy peasy compared with getting from the curb to her house at night!

And she's still kicking herself for not buying a copper pot there.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 01:23 AM

That's it, Bathing Ape. Guess I'm the one who's baked.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Baby Milo is definitely getting a lot of comments on various places where he was mentioned. I'm sorry. Really I am.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the photos, they are great. I went there twice, both times by myself (a single, older woman) and had no problem (aside from sore feet later). Since I am limited as to waht I could carry (flying back to LA) I just looked the first time, until I saw a stall with football (soccer) shirts from previous years for major EPL and UEFA teams. My former boss is a rabid football fan so a couple (at a quarter of what I would pay elsewhere) were the perfect gift for him.
When I asked for a three week vacation (we weren't supposed to take all of our vacation at one time) I was gratned it...IF I would bring him some more shirts. I booked a room at the Etap nearby for convenience (ok, huge, pay parking) had to look around for the vendor, scored a couple of unique shirts which pleased the boss very much. He had a competition with a friend (they're both from Argentina) and he said Pablo wouldn't be able to match them.
I loved looking at the antiques and people watching even if I didn't buy anything else. And like I said, I felt safe there, although whenever I'm in public I always try to have a 'don't mess with me personna', wherever I am (except in churches and museums)
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Wonderful photos, as always. I've been three times over the years and have probably covered less than 1/3 each time. Thanks for providing the bus routes--interesting way to get there.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:46 AM

Though I have visited the Clingancourt flea market, I think I like the one in Montreuil (Marché aux Puces de Montreuil). It's more of a one-off sort of place- seems to have fewer dealers and more ordinary people unloading their odd stuff.

We got a killer weekend deal at the Accord Suitehotel right on the spot a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the weather was miserable...

Rick
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:33 AM

I have been a number of times over many years, and it is an interesting experience but the prices are absolutely eye watering. I've stopped and much prefer shopping at the smaller true "flea markets" and brocantes that may be in various spots around Paris on any given weekend. These can be not only fun but affordable. I will say that my parents lived in Paris in the 20's when this REALLY was a flea market and had great buys.
For Celticgirl, "going to the particular aisle" is going to be very difficult. It is a rabbit warren of small shops (weekend places for shops in Paris proper) and large "malls". It isn't "organized" into "aisles for this and that". It is truly VERY high end antiquing.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the great photos Kerouac. I'm going to have to stop reading your post though, I've only got 6 days in Paris this May and every time you make a recommendation I put it on my "to-do" list. At this rate I need 15 more days already and I haven't even gotten there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -