Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Favorites? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-favorites-792091/)

frenchwow Jun 25th, 2009 07:14 AM

Paris Favorites?

My Paris favorites-what are your favorite spots? Goring back in September and hope to discover new spots in the 5th/6th... Going to try Petit Prince, Tournelle, Willi's,and Boullion Racine and visit Orangerie, Canal Martin, Viaduct des Arts and the Luxembourg. I have been to Paris many times. Looking for something different and wonderful. Any not to be missed favorites?
best little known museum Musee Jacquarte Andre.
great seafood Huitre et Demie on Mouffetard.
Best ice cream Berthillon on Ile St. Louis.
Best onion soup Bar at the Intercontinental off Rue de Rivoli.
Best duck Chez Cousin at Montmartre.
Best French cabaret Lapin Agile Montmartre.........

frenchwow Jun 28th, 2009 06:59 AM

Any replies for Paris Favorites?

ira Jun 28th, 2009 08:24 AM

Hi f,

>Best ice cream ......<
The Gelato at http://www.amorino.fr/boutiques.htm

They have several shops in the 5th and 6th as well as down the street from Berthillon on the Ile. You can do a taste test.

Check out the Parc Monceau while you are at the J-A Museum.

((I))

grandmere Jun 28th, 2009 09:53 AM

Best macaron--Laduree

elcon Jun 28th, 2009 09:57 AM

Best Lunch under 10 euros: l'as du Falafel(sp?). Soooo yummy!

roamer Jun 28th, 2009 11:54 AM

Not in the 5th/6th, but if you are interested in off-the-beaten path parts of the city, I suggest quartier de la Mouzaia in the 19th (NE side of Parc des Buttes Chaumont), Butte aux Cailles in the 13th, ancien village de Charonne in the 20th. You might want to check www.ourparisforum.com for other suggestions. Enjoy!

avalon Jun 28th, 2009 12:40 PM

I'd hardly call the JacqueMart Andre little known! Try the Musee Bourdelle if you want a little known museum,

And I agree with Ira, I prefer Amorino over Berthillion!

PamEwing Jun 29th, 2009 08:00 AM

Best museum: Musee Rodin
Best view: 3rd tier of Eiffel Tower
Best meal: Le Cigale Recamier

PamEwing Jun 29th, 2009 09:28 AM

Please avoid Bouillon Racine like the plague! They seat all of the English speaking tourists together on the first floor and give the locals much better service upstairs.

BarbSG Jun 29th, 2009 04:02 PM

Just favorites.....

1. Standing in the hall of the Louvre and seeing the Winged Victory of Samothrace in the early morning sunlight....all by ourselves.

2. Sorry I know it's cliche but the Le Grand Colbert for dinner.

3. Walking home late in the evening on a rainy night and stopping for a cappuccino.

4. SHOPPING FOR SHOES IN THE 6TH.

nancy Jun 29th, 2009 04:40 PM

The Nissam Camondo house - excellent
Carnavalet museum - history of Paris
Jewish Museum - excellent
Parc Monceau as Ira said - lovely plus fun people watching
Day trip - Rouen. Plan the whole day; much to see.
Canal St Martin: I thoroughly enjoyed this view of Paris. Our guide (a very funny Englishman) was a highlight. Aprox. 3 hrs.
Trocadero Park (across Seine from Eiffel Tower) - no one every mentions this but I loved it as a great people watching place. Kids play in the fountain and others do fancy skating.

kismetchimera Jun 29th, 2009 05:00 PM

ira, do you know a good reasonable priced restaurant around the 5th or the 6th?

JayMazz Jun 29th, 2009 06:26 PM

"Forgive but never forget."

Le Mémorial de la Déportation on Ile de la Cité.

It is passed by so many ppl and they never know it is there. Not only a somber memorial, but a grand work of art, and when you factor in where it is located plus the historic roots of Paris, it is even more amazing. If you are able to really break down the elements of the massive work of art you are standing on/in front of, it becomes truly frightening and overwhelming. Most ppl don't quite get it. There is really no place to sit and enjoy it. That is kind of the point... the experience is to be quite unkind... and enlightening...

I know most ppl just stumble on it and they know WHY it is there if/when they see it, but I don't think many ppl take the time to take each design element into account.

If one walks away from this area with a knot in their gut or a feeling of sadness, then that person has experienced what the designer [Pingusson] has intended.

I have been there five times in three trips and have never seen another person at the memorial... (just don't go on a Saturday, of course!)

This is one of my special places in Paris.

~Jay

Luisah Jun 29th, 2009 08:11 PM

I agree with three previous posters. I think Amorino's gelato beats Berthillon's ice cream and I always make a vist to Le Mémorial de la Déportation on Ile de la Cité. I can't describe my feelings there. It's a sobering bit of reality in a city renown for beauty, if that makes sense.

JayMazz, I'm surprised you've never seen another person at the memorial. I think of several visits I've only been alone once. One time there were several students.

Best onion soup for me was at Brasserie Balzar on Rue des Ecoles in the 5th.

All time favorite: Ste Chapelle

frenchwow Jun 30th, 2009 05:56 AM

Grand Colbert-clever website. Prices?
I will make a point of the Deportation memorial. Thank you.
will have to check the Recamier too.
Nissam? not famikiar with it but will check into it.
Keep those suggestions coming. MERCI

ira Jun 30th, 2009 07:13 AM

Hi Kis,

>ira, do you know a good reasonable priced restaurant around the 5th or the 6th?<

Here is a little list of places that I often return to:

Bistrot de la Grille Saint Germain 1 r Guisarde Tel: 01 43 54 16 87
La Ferrandaise 8 Rue de Vaugirard Tel : 01 43 26 36 36 Not Sun
Maison du Jardin 27 rue de Vaugirard 01 45 48 22 31. Not Sunday.
Pizza Vesuvio 1 Rue Gozlin just off Boul St Germaine
Brasserie Lipp 151 Bld St.Germain
Leon de Bruxelles 131, bd St Germain 01 43 26 45 95
Le Petit Zinc 11 r St Benoît 01 42 86 61 00
Restaurant Vagenende 142 Boulevard St. Germain (331) 43 26 68 18
Be Bop, Le 8 r. Gregoire de Tours. (N of Blvd St Germaine) 01 43 29 24 52 (Jazz pianist plays until 23:00)
Fish 69, Rue du Seine Tel : 01 43 54 34 69
.................................................. ................
Hi FW,

>Nissam? not familiar with it...............<

In short, father furnished a Parisian Townhouse that borders the Parc Monceau as if he were an 18th C Duke. It is outstanding, if you are interested in being an 18th C Duke.

There is a sad story that goes with the museum.

((I))

oakglen Jun 30th, 2009 07:51 AM

Souffle Excess: the three souffle prix-fixe special at Souffle, on Mont Thabor in the 1st.

oakglen Jun 30th, 2009 07:54 AM

Aligote: mashed taters with Contal cheese & garlic, comes free with the Confit de Canard at Chez Flottes, just off Place Concorde.

brioche Jun 30th, 2009 08:52 AM

Many wonderful suggestions have been given - here are a few more ideas that may be helpful.

The best hot chocolate of the 3 places we tried it: La Charlotte De L'Ile, on Ile St Louis,(only if you like dark, thick hot chocolate - it was fabulous). Also, my husband had his favorite coffee in Paris there - very strong, Turkish-style.
(Laduree's hot chocolate came in at a close second, and Angelina's a very distant third.)

The best frites we had were at La Bourse Ou La Vie - those at Laduree were also excellent.

Another favorite food experience was sharing crepes from the stand in front of the Eiffel Tower on a cold, sunny day. It's fun to watch the crepes being made, too - those guys are pros!

Another wonderful place for crepes that we loved was La Crepe Dentelle - fantastic crepes, wonderful atmosphere. My husband had a salad there, also, and still remembers how good the vinaigrette was. (I make vinaigrette all the time , but have not been able to duplicate this one - next time we go to Paris, we will go back & try to get the recipe!).

Walking everywhere is probably our favorite thing to do in Paris. There's always something beautiful or interesting to see wherever you go.

frenchwow Jun 30th, 2009 12:13 PM

Chez Flottes sounds great
Have tried Angelina's will make note of others