Paris favorites

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Nancy

Paris favorites

Second try posting this--I got notice of responses, but can't find the original or responses.

My husband and I will spend a week in Paris in July. Our first trip there. What are your favorite things to do/see in Paris?

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Bob Brown

This certainly is an open-ended type of question! The most enjoyable aspects of our most recent trip were:
a concert at Ste. Chapelle,
a visit to Musee d'Orsay,
a good meal - Paris has so many great places that a list would be very long.
Not far behind would be our visit to Versailles, despite the crowds.
And, for us, just seeing the stores and markets was fascinating.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Nancy: I've been to Paris many times since my first visit in 1957--and I can't quarrel with Bob Brown's list. The Musee d'Orsay wasn't there that first time (but a quick visit to the Louvre wasn't bad); and I loved Versailles and one could go on forever about the restaurants. Have a marvellous trip. Joan

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Rex

This is a little bit dated (June 1998), but it's some of the best advice I've ever read about Paris, distilled down to less than 2000 words:

http://travel.boston.com/world/europ..._paris_4.shtml

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 08:37 PM
Bob Brown

I don't want to get started on a list.
But I don't recall a visit to a city that proved interesting at just about every turn. My advice is to get two or three guide books, consult this forum with a search, make prioritized list of attractions that interest you. Then go for it as long as you have the energy.

I went each day until I was dead tired every night, but it was not at all the same kind of fatigue a stressful job produces. That sort of fatigue defeats the spirit. Our trip to Paris rejuvinated the soul. For us there was joy in seeing sights that were interesting and/or beautiful. In the case of the opera and the concerts, we were hearing sounds that were beautiful and inspiring. A few hours sleep and I was ready to go again. Even rolling out of bed to go see what La Brioche Doree had freshly baked was fun.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Lori

Just walking around the city, and never knowing what you will find around the next bend.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Lori

Everywhere, and everything in Paris is exciting and you can't miss having a good time! The Eiffel Tower is marvelous, go when it's just getting dark and watch the lights of the city come on all around you - we have been about 15 times and find it exciting every time! Also, go over to Montparnasse Tower (59th Floors) and see the city from that angle, you will get a different view of the Eiffel Tower. Just walking around the city is like taking part in history too, it is a great city for walking. As Bob said you can be practically dead at the end of the day from walking but it's worth it. Do take comfortable shoes (2 pair) you will need them. It's kind of a touristy thing to do but for the first time take the Bateaux Mouches trip on the Seine (do not take dinner cruise, terrible food and way overpriced). Not only do you get to rest your weary feet on the cruise but you see the city from the river as well. One of my favorite things is to hit the department stores on Blvd. Haussmann - Galleries Lafayette, Au Printemps, Marks & Spencer ... great fun! Walk the full length of the Champs Elysees and then the Rue de Rivoli, climb the thousands (or so it seems) steps to Sacre Couer and enjoy the view (and then take a walk over to the right of the cathedral and rest your feet in the small park there!). Visit Musee Marmottan (La Muette metro stop) and spend time looking at the huge Monet exhibit, this is one of my favorite places.

There is so much to do you will not run out of things believe me -- you will run out of time so plan a second trip soon

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Carol

Dear Nancy,

The hosted forum this week is on Paris and has lots of marvelous recommendations for things to see and do including a 4-day basic itinerary. Bonne vacance.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:00 AM
s

Nancy,
Please please please allow some "down" time so you can simply absorb the city from a cafe (or several). To me, this is the essence of Paris.

s.