Paris Family Dinner Five Nights

Old Jun 15th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Family Dinner Five Nights

Hi

We will be in Paris in early July for five nights with our almost 11 year old grand daughter (her first trip to Paris, but not to Europe) and will be staying at an apartment in the 6th on Rue Saint Andre des Arts.

We are looking for places for dinner that at casual, mostly classic and with good cuisine – AND – are reasonably family accommodating – no chains. Our grand daughter, who can easily handle a two hour meal, is not a picky eater but also not overly adventurous.

We would really appreciate your comments and suggestions on our possible dinner spots, mostly within walking (even if a long walk) distance of our apartment.

Le Bistro d’Henri

Bistro L’Estrepade

Balazar (an old favorite)

Café Varenne

Le Petit Pontoise

And as fall backs:

Chez Jenny (in the 3rd)

Little Brei

Brasserie de Ille St Louis (for a simple food break)

Also, will there be a problem in the following share arrangement (that we use when traveling in the US ) for the three of us. One first (or two) and two mains (or one first, one main and one menu).

Looking forward to any and all responses.

nb
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:04 AM

Also, will there be a problem in the following share arrangement (that we use when traveling in the US ) for the three of us.

Generally yes, what you are proposing would be awkward. At a minimum, it will be confusing. Traveling with a child gives you more flexibility but many restaurants frown on sharing main courses. If you are proposing ordering an entrée (first course) for the child as a main course, that´s understandable and most restaurants accommodate accordingly.

Sharing is not widely accepted (with the exception of Joséphine "Chez Dumonet") but sharing desserts is not usually a problem. Recently at Brasserie Lipp for dinner, I asked the waiter if I could share my wife´s dessert. He told be emphatically no. He also brought me an extra spoon.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Most servings will be smaller than you may be used to so sharing wouldn't work well a lot of p;aces anyway.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In terms of the plates the issue is timing for the staff, certainly sharing main dishes is difficult and my monther (who was tiny) you just order starters for mains and tell the waiter what was happening. (those steely eyes worked!)

I've been to a couple of places mentioned. They are a bit, .. inward looking.. my own favorite is the restaurant on the top of the Arab World Institute just because of the views. The top floor has the restaurant/cafe and a panarama deck which is free and looks out along the Seine

http://www.imarabe.org/preparer-ma-visite/restaurants
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 07:39 AM

Good cous-cous at the Monde Arabe rooftop place and mid-east delicacies plus an appetizing view!
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lebanese humous with lemon on the side and flat bread! It used do pigeon in fluffy light pastry but moved to Lebanese from Moroccan. This means you should get "Mezze" in which case the whole sharing problem goes away
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Some places charge you for plates if you want to share something, if they allow it. Dessert, okay, but main courses? Have never heard or seen that in France. It sounds like you don't intend to order anything for your daughter, just have her eat parts of other's dishes.

YOu really cannot split a prix fixe meal, which it sounds like you may want to do. They don't allow that.