Paris end Sept-early Oct. -- weather?

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris end Sept-early Oct. -- weather?

My husband and I are planning a trip to France Sept.18-Oct. 3. We'll be spending 5-6 days in Paris some time during that two-week period, depending on where we can get suitable accommodations -- hopefully a charming small hotel or studio apt. centrally located and with elevator. I've read many of the informative messages on this board and have tried some of the suggested hotels and apt. websites but with trade shows, etc. it seems pretty booked up already. Our budget is $200 tops. What have you all found to be the most efficient way to book a room -- e-mail or phone hotels directly or book through the travel sites?

I'm unsure also whether or not to insist on a room or apt. that has A/C. Seeing that the normal weather patterns have changed I wonder if a room in the center of Paris might get unbearably warm in the early fall? Any help on this would be most appreciated...anyone out there with a cyrstal ball?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM

<I'm unsure also whether or not to insist on a room or apt. that has A/C. Seeing that the normal weather patterns have changed I wonder if a room in the center of Paris might get unbearably warm in the early fall?>

it's been called one of the coolest, wettest summers in Paris history so far - the chances in any case of you needing AC in latter September is remote IMO
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM

<<< the chances in any case of you needing AC in latter September is remote IMO >>>

Then again it could be 100F

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I always book by email in Paris. That is one of the busiest hotel periods in Paris, though, so you've got that problem. I would never insist on air conditioning for late Sept, early October. I live in a hotter city than Paris, and don't even use it then (well, rarely, I can't remember the last time I had to during late September). Besides, a lot of Parisian hotels wouldn't turn it on at that time even if they had it.

I don't think current weather conditions indicate what it will be in September at all. I don't think weather works that way. In fact, often it seems the opposite, that if you have an unusually hot/cold July, it turns the opposite at the end of August, not that an unusual period will continue for months on end.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input -- I suppose it's really just a roll of the dice concerning weather. At this point I don't think we'll make A/C a priority and just hope for the best. RE: making reservations: will try the e-mail route and see how that goes. This whole board has been so helpful -- even without asking direct questions I've learned so much just from reading. Bravo!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM

In 2002 we went to Paris the 2nd week of Oct and it was rainy and in the high 40'sF to low 50'sF.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I consider that period to often be one of the hottest of the year in Paris -- with exceptions, obviously.

Considering the fact that more than half of my Parisian colleagues have admitted to using some sort of heating in their dwellings on today, July 10th, I'd say that weather for the rest of the year is anybody's guess.