65 Minute Layover in Dublin

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 Minute Layover in Dublin

I am traveling from Chicago to Madrid with a 65 minute layover in Dublin. I booked all of the flights together through Aer Lingus at their website, so I wasn't nervous, but I am a little bit now. Will I have to get my bags and go through security again? Will I have enough time? I land in Dublin really early in the morning so the airport shouldn't be too busy. Thank you!
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM

I think you need to ask Aer Lingus about the bags. Anyone else will only be making guesses. If you do have to get the bags and go through security again it will be VERY tight timing.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 01:16 AM

We have the same timing on a flight from Boston to Gatwick and from Paris to Boston.

Are Lingus (or Aer Linguistics as Apple wants to call it) does this for many flight every day.

As long as your ongoing flight is on AE don't worry.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM

Usually you are required to pick up your bags and go back through security only if you are switching airports for your connecting flights (happened to me once with BA, Gatwick to Heathrow--I will not do it again). If your next flight is from the same airport your bags are checked through...Easy enough!
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 03:32 AM

"you are required to pick up your bags and go back through security only if you are switching airports for your connecting flights"

Not so. In the UK, it's an absolutely unbreakable principle that anyone changing planes has to go through security again before getting onto the next plane.

I've not changed planes in Ireland. The bags will go straight through if both flights are Aer Lingus, but I'd imagine Dublin has the same policy on security as the rest of the British Isles (the rule was introduced as a result of Irish terrorism, which has done more damage in Dublin than almost anywhere in the UK). But Aer Lingus is highly likely to expedite your passage or hold the flight, so I personally wouldn't worry.

But if you worry, and don't get a definitive answer here, ask Aer Lingus.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM

It's not so much your bags you could ask Aer Lingus about as whether you must go through immigration screening in Dublin. Ireland is not a part of the Schengen passport agreement; Spain is. My guess is that you will stay inside a secure area and simply move to the departure gate. Some airlines run security checks at every gate. Aer Lingus should be able to fill in the details.
An hour for a transfer at any big airport is tight but as another post indicated, it happens every day. With a significant delay in arrival, the worst that will happen is AL will put you on a later flight to Spain.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM

As you are flying thru to Madrid with aerlingus you should be able to request your bags are interlined thru to Madrid without you having to do anything. .. but do check with aerlingus... they are a good airline

You ll be landing and leaving from terminal 2 Which is very modern and easy to use but Dublin airport is usually busy in the morning as lots of business travellers. ... the Madrid flight is comfortable enough. ... at Madrid airport there is a coach service into Madrid s Atocha station and it's €2.50

Also... another person giving advice seems to be confused about the Geography over here. ..Dublin is the capital of my country the Republic of Ireland and is not part of the UK. .... and of the British isles as we re not British.... lol. .. and terrorism was not just an irish affair
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM

You need to talk directly to the airline. I would assume that your luggage is checked directly through to Madrid. Also that you will stay airside in Dublin and never actually enter Ireland so no need to go through immigration.

I believe you will have to go through security again for the next flight - but Dublin airport is very small and if your plane lands on time it seems like you have a good chance of making it
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM

I've taken a flight from Chicago to Edinburgh with a layover in Dublin. Here is what happens -

1) I assume you booked Aer Lingus for a flight to Madrid and it made you layover in Dublin. In this case, no you do not need to get your luggage. Your luggage will be put on your flight to Madrid.

2) My layover was 85 minutes if I remember correctly and it was early in the morning. It was barely enough time to get to the next flight. Give yourself more of a layover if at all possible.

You have to clear Customs before you get on your next flight to Madrid. Once you get off your flight in Dublin, you will need to go to another terminal which will require you to go through Customs and another TSA-like security check.

The Customs guy only asked me where I was going and what I was doing, stamped my Passport and the next security line moved slow compared to what I am used to in the US. Then depending on the gate you may have a ways to walk.