Paris- eating and sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a list of many things but always love hearing from people. I worked there years ago but now we are going as a family.
1. Would love some info on things you liked while you toured Paris.
2. Also, would love restaurant recommendations-- nothing super expensive. There are so many options in Paris but everyone has there 2-5 favorites.
3. Also, tell me about tours on the Seine. After being in Paris maybe 10 times, I never took a boat tour. Are there any good ones?
4. What about the bike tours? Which one would you recommend? Do not know if we will go to Versailles but think I would do the bike tour here--there is so much ground to cover.
5. Finally, what great shops. I really loved stores in St. Germain de Pres. Is that still a good area to see some wonderful stores? Thank you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Restaurant favorites from our trip last September. "Nothing super expensive" for us was less than 150 euro for two with 3 courses and a bottle of wine.

Le Buisson Ardent, Au Moulin a Vent, La Pie Noir, La Bièvre, Les Trois Carafes, and Le Cosi. All in the Fifth, where we were staying. Prices kept down by using discounts through The Fork. Full report in my trip report, The Peabody Papers: Paris 2017
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 08:49 AM

There are 3-4 companies that do Seine boat tours. I think they are all about the same, but you'll get people who swear you have to book Vedettes du Pont Neuf. I don't like their location myself, and otherwise, it's just a boat ride for an hour, I don't care that much to the details. Bateaux Mouches does have much larger boats, though, so you might have a preference on that score. I've used them and Bateaux Parisiens (that one for a night cruise as they do have small boats so I thought that might be better for that).

I don't care one whit about the commentary and don't much listen to it, so I can't comment on that difference. I just go for the boat ride.

Otherwise, I think they all have pretty much the same itinerary or trajectory.

For restaurants, I really like Relais d'Entrecote for a prix fixe steak/frites meal. There are a couple around Paris, I think their frites are some of the best I've had in Paris. It's moderately priced, but not cheap. I also like that they have profiterolles for dessert, my fave, which many restaurants do not. Dessert is extra, though, as well as drinks.
Le relais de l'entrecote | Le relais de l'entrecote

St Germain has lots of name-brand expensive stores, if that's what you want (Vuitton, Hugo Boss, Armani etc). Also there is one section with some arts/antique/book shops. What do you want to buy? If I wanted designer goods, I'd probably go to a grand dept store or rue St Honore, some place like that.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you AJPeabody and Christina -- very helpful. Yes-- true about St. Germain-- I do not want super high end stuff. Perhaps the equivalent to an Anthropologie here is what I am looking for-- I do not need to buy anything. I just know my purchases from Paris in the past have lasted forever.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Once again I posted and never showed up so am doing an abbreviated version. Valentine's evening was the first night the boats ran after all the flooding and it was still not able go under some of the bridges. We did Vedettes du Pont Neuf and really enjoyed it. We got an online special champagne tour for 17 euros. Great deal and we thought the girl doing the commentary was great. We aren't picky about where we eat and usually do the lunch meal out. We save the sidewalk cafes for evening drinks. We were staying on Rue Marie Stuart and had some good place to eat right there, Le Boui-Boui was good but since it is off Rue Montorgueil we did a lot of evenings there. We had a great lunch at Au Rond Point after visiting Jim at Pere Lachaise. Right smack by the metro but was great. We ate at Bistro Romain Cadires on des Champ Elysees because my husband's back was killing him and it turned out to be the most memorable meal because of our tablemate next to us. She was a WW11 Jewish survivor and was saved by the US paratroopers that landed in North Africa where her family lived. My Dad was part of those paratroopers. We both got teary eyed and I showed him pictures of him and she wanted to know how he did. She was beautiful in all her jewels and furs btw.
Shopping, ugh, my friend loves to shop and I hate it. I didn't see any special deals with the sales going on. I have always missed going to Galleries Lafayette and because of Kerouac's photos went this trip. I just wanted to see the building but my friend wanted to see every department. I will never get those two hours back... Shoes, I could have bought ten pairs but my 20 inch suitcase would not allow it. They do have great shoes. My freind bought frames and will get lenses put in them. She is in the business and bought something we don't have in the US. He coworkers told her they were ugly. I think jealous as we will be wearing next year.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 06:48 AM

We loved everything we saw and did in Paris. Some favorites are the Musee D’Orsay, tour of the Opera House, and climbing to the top of Notre Dame.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 07:55 AM

If you don't already read them, my favorite foodie blogs for Paris are Alexander Lobrano: https://www.alexanderlobrano.com/ and David Lebovitz: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/

In addition to their own entries and restaurant recommendations they have links to other good foodie sites.

And Fat Tire Bike Tours are my own favorite: https://www.fattiretours.com/paris

Last edited by jpie; Feb 24th, 2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add to post
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Bike tours - take a look at French Mystique Tours. https://www.frenchmystiquetours.com/

What area are you staying in? if in 6th or 7th, take a look at Poilane Comptoir for lunch. http://cuisinedebar.fr/

Also, Cafe Varenne at Varenne and rue du Bac. Nearby is a place that has a chocolate mousse bar and serves chocolate mousse in single serve paper cones. So good. Chocolate Chapon. https://www.chocolat-chapon.com/] https://www.chocolat-chapon.com/[/url]

If you like sole meniuer, try Allard for dinner.

We love the food tours by Paris by Mouth as you try so many different cheeses, bread, terrines, charcuterie, chocolates, etc..while learning about the neighborhood and the history of the food and the arrondisement.

For lesser known places to visit, consider Musee Marmottan (Monet heaven) and St Denis (burial place of French royalty).

I love St Germain, other do not but for me - yes, great little shops of all kinds. It may help if you shared what type of shopping you are looking for? Luxury boutiques, midrange stores, house/home, women's fashion, jewelry???

Maybe a lap around the Enfants Rouges market at lunch time to try a variety of foods for lunch.

https://parisbymouth.com/our-guide-t...nfants-rouges/

Can't help with the Seine boat tours- I have not taken one. I think O Chateau offers a Champagne cruise on the Seine that might be fun. I believe their group gets a private area upfront on one of the boats.

Seine River Cruise: do it in style in Paris with The Champagne Cruise

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is great so far. I will look at these sites and such. I was thinking shops like Anthropologie--nothing fancy. But this trip is NOT about shopping. It is about showing our kids Paris.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I live in Paris and do not like to spend more than 30 euros per person for a meal including wine. You can spend twice, five times or ten times as much if you like. People here will suggest those places to you.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kerouac
I live in Paris and do not like to spend more than 30 euros per person for a meal including wine. You can spend twice, five times or ten times as much if you like. People here will suggest those places to you.
And I spend similarly at home. But vacation is vacation and more specil so I spend more, as many people who like food as an experience do.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:42 PM

The recommendation of French Mystic bike tours is an excellent one , go on his website and we some of the reviews .He does some more interesting routes and destinations .

I also have taken the Fat Bike tours , almost all of them over the years .
My friend had to BEG me to do the first one and she offered to pay ! We took the Noght bike tour and loved it so much we booked the one to Versailles for the next day !!
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

kerouac- could you suggest some places to eat?
Anyone- how would you get from CDG to the place where we are staying? 5 people.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Close to Centre Pompidou and Les Halles, we love Pharamond, an affordable restaurant serving food from Normandy. It offers a delightful bistro menu, featuring Normandy specialties like tripe and andouillette.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 06:15 AM

signmeup

Did I miss something? You didn't say where you are staying. . Generally people think that after a long flight with possible jet lag a taxi from CDG is the best route. Since you are familiar with Paris, the crowded and more hectic RER might work for you.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

If you had a choice to stay in the 8th arrond.(close to metro stop Madeleine) or the 15th arrond. (close to metro stop Javel-Andre Citroen), where would you stay as a family? Goal here is to sightsee and enjoy Paris.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 09:51 AM

Javel is way out on the #10 metro requiring a change to get to must sees on the right bank. Madeline metro stop might be good for you because that end of the 8th puts you next to the 1st and 2nd and all of more central Paris.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Envierges- thank you so much. That is very helpful. It is all coming together and yes perhaps a taxi with adults and kids may be better from CDG. Will they take 5?
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 01:28 PM

If you go to the taxi line at CDG and tell them you are five they can signal a minivan size cab for you generally. Also I don't know if you know that taxi rates into Paris are now flat rates of €55 for a trip heading anywhere on the Left Bank and €50 for anywhere on the Right Bank. There is an additional supplement for the 5th person I think-maybe 4 euros.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 12:19 AM

For 5 people and more with luggage, I suggest G7 Van, a service provided by G7 the largest cab company in town. Order through their web site or calling +33 1 41 27 66 99.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -