Reload this Page >

Paris During the Christmas Holidays

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Susan

I'll be in Paris for one week just before Christmas. First of all, I get cold if the temperture dips below 70! I am preparing myself with silk underwear and all the appropriate clothing. I'm also investigating hotels that let me control the heat. I'm aware that it will be dark early (and cold!) so I will need to find evening activities that are held inside. I'm at the beginning stages of looking for holiday events such as church concerts. Can anybody recommend from experience any particular memorable event that they attended at Christmas time? Any suggestions will be welcomed. PS The reason I'm going during the holiday season is that my daughter is in college and getting time with her is very precious and this is the only time we can put together one week throughout the entire year. This is her high school graduation gift from me. Actually, I'm the one who is gifted to have someone special as she in my life!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Scarlett

What a lovely Christmas treat!<BR>We usually stay at the D'Anleterre on rue Jacob and the rooms always have more than one radiator,which can be both good & bad! But the really good part is they are easy to turn off/on and adjust.<BR>Silk undies are a great idea,remember the flannel pjs and warm fuzzy socks.<BR>St Chappelle is memorable at all times, I would think Christmas would be breathtaking.The church at St Germain des Pres has Christmas music/mass.And just to go sit in Notre Dame for an evening service would be wonderful.<BR>I don't remember the name,but there is an Anglican church in Paris for all the expats and they do Christmas,in English,with candles and music.<BR>Some of the museums may have chamber music concerts also, they do in London.<BR>This is so great! I don't know you but I am happy for you!!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:54 AM
s

sorry-I should remember to proof read.<BR><BR>It is the D'Angleterre Hotel,44 rue Jacob

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Burta

Paris will be chilly in December so dress warmly. It is a lovely time to visit though. I have posted before that Paris is just a fairyland at Christmas. And there will be many interesting things to shop for at Christmas. Despite the weakness of the dollar, there are many things less expensive in France than the U.S.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Burta

For our December trip we stayed at the Best Western Trocodero and had a beautiful view of the Eiffel Tower. The hotel was above a brasserie that we enjoyed very much and right across the street from a metro station.<BR><BR>Despite it's "budget" connotations elsewhere, we have stayed in a couple of Best Westerns in France. They were not inexpensive, but the locations were great. One, the Hotel Chapeau Rouge in Dijon, had a one-star Michelin restaurant that we adored!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Sue

I spent Christmas in Paris with my daughter when she was doing her 3rd yr. from college in France. It was warmish and raining when I arrived on the 22nd, and I was roasting in my winter coat. By a few days after the holiday, however, I was glad I had it. When we went to Strasbourg, where she was studying, I got out the silk glove liners and the woolen scarf! The temperature varies, just as it does in most temperate zone areas. <BR>I have been to France a few times in cold weather, and the hotels (inc. my favorite little budget 2 star in Paris!) have always been toasty warm.<BR><BR>We attended a concert at the Eglise St. Germain, and it was lovely. Ste. Chapelle probably has concerts at Xmastime, also, altho the stained glass windows are more beautiful when sunlight is streaming through them. <BR><BR>I have wonderful memories of this trip with my daughter, and I think she does, too. Years later, she is now married and pregnant with her first child, and we did another trip to Paris in May, going to our favorite places and knowing that it will be quite a while before we "do Paris" again in this manner. What a special time this will be for you and your daughter! Memories for a lifetime!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Seamus

I did the same a couple years ago, and it was terrific. Do bring along the thermal undergarments, gloves/ scarf/ hat and perhaps a folding umbrella. Most radiators have a control knob so you can adjust as you prefer. <BR>You'll likely find Christmas markets (Salon de Noel) around town. Some/ most charge a token admission and offer all sorts of nifty gifty little things. The department stores are also fun, and in some of the train stations (Gare de l'Est and others) there are merchants in the vestibule selling French goodies (sausages, wine, cheese, etc.) Museums tend to be less croweded, so enjoy. If you've not been, go to the Muse Jacqmartin-Andre. Versailles (the town with the famous chateau) is a short RER train ride away a great place to see at the holidays. The merchants get together and decide on a theme, then decorate their stores accordingly. We got some great Christmas presents, and had the best hot chocolate ever in Versailles.