Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris dress code?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-dress-code-226636/)

Kevin May 30th, 2002 05:51 PM

Paris dress code??

We are going to Paris mid-June. We plan to bring dress cloths for nightime (Jacket/tie, dresses) but we are not sure what to bring for walking the streets during the day. I'm thinking jeans and comfortable shoes (not tennis shoes) would be good. Will jeans make us stand out like true tourists or is this acceptable in Paris? Thanks.

Shannon May 30th, 2002 07:04 PM

Everything that you're thinking of is fine, but you don't really need to dress up. Even at nice restaurants, a jacket without a tie is fine.

xxx May 30th, 2002 07:32 PM

Oh PLEASE, not again. Wear whatever you want to wear. Parisians don't wear jeans, so yes, they'll know you're tourists - do you care? Jeans are hot and heavy - I never wear them in Europe for that reason. Is there some reason you can't find a pair of nice, chic capri silk pants and a simple top that wouldn't offend anyone and would be very comfortable to boot?

hmmm? May 30th, 2002 07:35 PM

A man in silk capri pants might attract the wrong kind of attention, don't you think?

aha May 30th, 2002 07:44 PM

But not at night in the Bois.

z May 30th, 2002 11:20 PM

the top tier restaurants, e.g., Taillevent, Le Grand Verfour and La Tour d'Argent, require that their male diners wear jackets and ties for dinner.<BR>can't advise you about appropriate dress for your street walking ventures, but, normally, the idea is to stand out.

egg May 30th, 2002 11:34 PM

Jeans in Europe even in the UK tend not to be worn by anyone over the age of about 35. Americans often look like mutton dressed as lamb. If you are below 35 and have a similar waistline then jeans will be fine.

demi May 31st, 2002 01:57 AM

Cotton or linen slacks or skirts would be a lot cooler ..Paris can be very humid! Dressy pants for women at night with a dressy top are as acceptable as dresses in the best restaurants, but at the top ones he will need the tie, but not otherwise.<BR><BR>

Hiho May 31st, 2002 02:15 AM

No Jeans, No jeans, No jeans. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. I agree on the capri pants suggestions, but dear, cotton twill rather than silk. (In homage to YSL)

Eric May 31st, 2002 04:57 AM

By God, wear jeans if you want to, a lot of people will be wearing them and not just Americans.<BR><BR>Always be yourself and don't worry.<BR><BR>

aj May 31st, 2002 05:06 AM

Just back from my third trip to Paris and every time I see jeans on the locals.(Mayabe not the country blue jeans.) In fact Parisians seem to dress the way we do just different brands. I prefer to wear black travel knits because they are easy to care for and I never wear jeans at home but if you want to wear jeans wear them! I would love to buy into the myth that all Parisian dress like fashion icons but it is just not true! Unless you eat at a very nice restaurant you will not need dress and suit. Have fun and pack light!

Howard May 31st, 2002 05:20 AM

Forget what the "fashion police" say about not wearing jeans. During our recent two-week trip there, we saw Parisians of all ages and tourists of all ages wearing jeans during the day. As for evening wear, you'll only need a tie at some of high-end restaurants. Otherwise, a sport jacket and open-collar shirt (or "trendy" T shirt) are fine. But, hey, take a tie just in case--how much room does it take in your suitcase?

runway model May 31st, 2002 06:32 AM

The Parisians may not be fashion icons, but the Italians wear the best shoes.

wjh May 31st, 2002 08:05 AM

I was in Paris last week and everyone wore jeans including my friends that live in Paris. The style was dark jeans (dark blue, black or grey) that look like they have never been washed. I saw people with every outfit imaginable. Bring clothes that you will feel comfortable wearing (comfort and style). wjh

Betty May 31st, 2002 08:40 AM

Why please tell me why this question is even answered? If the rumhead cannot do the search or can't figure out what to wear why worry.

Louis May 31st, 2002 08:54 AM

Betty<BR><BR>Go girl...."rumhead"....i love it!

Elsa May 31st, 2002 09:58 AM

We just got back a couple of weeks ago, and ANYTHING goes. There's so much to see that I doubt you'll even notice what people are wearing. As long as you are comfortable, that's what's important. Sneakers are the best if you do a lot of walking. The heck w/ looking "fashionable" in slides or heels!!!

critic May 31st, 2002 10:37 AM

Egg and Hiho: When were you in Paris last? Earlier this year we saw lots of locals wearing jeans, some of which (the jeans, not the locals) were obnoxious.

same May 31st, 2002 10:59 AM

Back too weeks: Lots of Jeans - darker ones, true, most wearers were relatively young and relatively slim.<BR><BR>Only ate at one three-star, but room was equally divided between tie and no-tie. All men wore jackets.

xxx May 31st, 2002 11:05 AM

And just how did you know they were"locals"?