Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris doctor house calls (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-doctor-house-calls-1223932/)

Nikki Mar 18th, 2017 04:54 AM

Paris doctor house calls

I am in Paris, arrived about a week ago. The evening before I left Boston, I developed a cough and was wheezing. I went to urgent care the day of my departure, got antibiotics and cough syrup to take in case things got worse while I was away. Also an inhaler because I have a history of asthma which has lain dormant for fifteen or twenty years now.

After a week I was not feeling better and have been getting quite winded, even though I have canceled almost all my activities. I have been feeling like I'm living in the last act of La Boheme. Well not quite, but it did come to mind.

So today I called SOS Medecins, a group of doctors in the Paris area who are available, according to their website, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. An hour after I called a doctor arrived, examined me, diagnosed me with bronchitis and asthma, wrote a prescription to add to those I already had been taking, and charged me 80 euros, for which he wrote a receipt for me to submit to my insurance company.

I don't know whether the person on the phone would have understood me in English, as I spoke in French to him, but I suspect one could make oneself understood if necessary.

I believe I had read about this service here before, and I thought I would report on my experience.

WoinParis Mar 18th, 2017 05:26 AM

Good ! (Well I mean good move - sorry you are ill).
Fir the sake of others in case you need urgent care you call
1 emergency (100 ?)
2 go to nearest hospital
3 call SOS médecins'
4 go to a pharmacist who will propose a solution.

AnselmAdorne Mar 18th, 2017 05:27 AM

Hi Nkiki. I hope you feel better soon.

I called SOS Medicins when Susan became ill in Paris. We had a doctor in our flat within an hour. I think the fee was about 50 euros, but that was in 2009. It was a great service.

You will also be pleasantly surprised by the prices at the pharmacy when you fill that prescription.

StCirq Mar 18th, 2017 05:35 AM

Yes, healthcare in France is absolutely wonderful, and inexpensive even if you are a tourist and not part of the healthcare system.

Sorry that you are sick, but you're in a good place to be taken care of.

FuryFluffy Mar 18th, 2017 05:46 AM

Very helpful topic, thank you Nikki and the others who have posted. I agree that healthcare in France is great.

AGM_Cape_Cod Mar 18th, 2017 05:55 AM

Aw Nikki so sorry you are sick in Paris. I hope that you feel better soon and can enjoy the rest of your time there.

kerouac Mar 18th, 2017 05:56 AM

If you are ill but 'ambulatory' Monday through Saturday, you can also just walk into a 'Centre Médical' which are all over Paris (Google is your friend) and pay 25 euros to see a doctor. Most of them open at 7 or 7:30 a.m. (a lot of them are near the big train stations for the convenience of commuters) and are open until at least 8 p.m.

Nikki Mar 18th, 2017 06:18 AM

Thank you all.

Anselm, I have been thinking of you and Susan a lot this week. I am staying in the same place in the Batignolles. In addition to the intervening years, I think the SOS Medecins price might have been higher than the regular price because it is a weekend.

travelchat Mar 18th, 2017 07:08 AM

Nikki
Please keep us current on your recovery. Hope you will have time enough to enjoy Paris as you begin to feel better.

HappyTrvlr Mar 18th, 2017 08:19 AM

Nikki,
Feel better.
Several years ago while staying in Paris, I woke up in pain, unable to move. We also called SOS Medicins and were given an English speaking operator and Doctor. I think they answered in French but when I spoke English found a English speaker to help me. He came to our apartment, prescribed medicines that saved the trip for us. I believe I also paid 80€ and this was in 2008. SOS Medicines s a wonderful resource which was mentioned in information we were given about our apartment.

fuzzbucket Mar 18th, 2017 11:26 AM

SOS Medecins charges a set fee because they are off-duty doctors who come to your home.

The Emergency Room charges a lot less, depending on any tests you might need - but you will often wait a long time to be seen. You will have the bill sent to wherever it is you live.

I agree that the first course of action - especially if you are in respiratory distress or think you have broken a bone or have an appendicitis-like pain - would be to go to the nearest Emergency Room.
Most admit nurses speak English, and so do the doctors. Bring your actual passport with you.

annhig Mar 18th, 2017 11:57 AM

I can proffer you no advice but hope the treatment works and you feel better soon. What a rotten thing to happen when you are in Paris, Nikki.

TDudette Mar 18th, 2017 12:03 PM

Thanks for this, Nikki. I also hope you are recovered.

We were in Lyons when DH started having problems and the SOS docs were available then as well for €50. A wonderful service. I emailed DH's doc about it but he never responded! Figures, eh?

Please take care.

AnselmAdorne Mar 18th, 2017 12:21 PM

"I am staying in the same place in the Batignolles."

Oh my word. Almost overwhelming memories, Nikki. Take good care of yourself.

shellio Mar 18th, 2017 04:42 PM

I hope your recovery is swift Nikki. Glad you called SOS Medicins, it's a great service. Such a shame to spend your time in Paris feeling lousy.

Just a note for those not familiar with the service, my husband and I were both quite ill with similar complaints as Nikki's and we had to call SOS Medicins twice within a week. The second doctor disagreed with the 3 or 4 medications the first had prescribed and so we went out to get another 3 or 4. They do seem to like to layer them. The total cost was about 10 euros.

The doctor also arranged for a technician to come to the apartment to draw blood. The only thing we had to go out for was an X-ray (turned out DH had pneumonia, I bonchitis) and to get the prescriptions filled. Both the X-ray and the phamacie were just around the corner. About as easy as it can get.

cocofromdijon Mar 19th, 2017 04:28 AM

So sorry to hear that a bronchitis and asthma spoilt a part of your trip. I don't know when you're going back home, but I'd be delighted to show you Dijon on a day trip, to help you forget about that naughty period (and meet you at last). Think about it! :)

Nikki Mar 19th, 2017 09:32 AM

I wish, coco! But I think I had better save my breath for shorter excursions while I'm here this time. Flying home Friday.

cocofromdijon Mar 19th, 2017 10:14 AM

Another time Nikki I hope! Enjoy the rest of your stay and take care.

jpie Mar 23rd, 2017 11:05 PM

Saving for future.