Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris -> Disney (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-disney-899790/)

mab3ru Jul 21st, 2011 11:43 PM

Paris -> Disney

Dear All,

I understd that I will have to take RER A from Paris to DisneyLand. Can anyone tell me whether i need to pre-book the tickets or can I buy on the spot? Does RER have daily schedule to the DisneyLand &/ or La Vallée Village ?

Thanks in advance!

madamtrashheap Jul 22nd, 2011 12:43 AM

The RER is part of the metropolitan train system of Paris and surrounds and therefore it's not possible or required to book tickets/seats on these trains. If you have a day pass (weekly pass) on the transport system for Paris, and provided you have Zone 1-5 tickets, you can use this on the RER to Disneyland. Otherwise, you can just purchase the required tickets (including Zone 5) at the station before you pass through the turnstile to the platform. Trains on the RER run every 7-15mins depending on the time of day and day of week.

As far as Disneyland Paris tickets, you can purchase these in advance (think there is a discount for doing so) online on the Dinsey site.

Ryan Jul 22nd, 2011 04:45 AM

Make sure you get on the correct RER train. The signs on the platform will show the stops that train makes with a light next to stations for that train. The trains run every 15 to 20 minutes. The park opens at 10. I might suggest you plan on being on the train platform by 9 as the frequency of trains slowed after the morning rush. We missed a 9:24 train and had to wait until 9:50 for the next one, which compounded the trip because the later train made more stops.

I would suggest you buy round trip tickets. You need to use your ticket for entry through the gates. On exiting at Marne Le Valle (Disney) you use the same ticket. Hold the return ticket for use later that day.

We spent a day at Disneyland Paris last week.

The rides were fun, but be prepared for really long waits.

If you have been to WDW in Florida, you might want to recognize the Disneyland Paris is very different. We found about half the employees to be completely disinterested and lacking that "Disney" friendliness. (At one point we made a game of finding an employee who smiled.)

The French have a much different view of waiting in line and personal space that Brits or Americans. They also smoke - everywhere including waiting in lines.

We thought it worked well to purchase our tickets ahead of time and print them out. Just be mindful that the FastPass readers had some difficulty reading the bar code a few times. (The attendant will help you. Just be prepared for their initial "there is nothing I can do" response. Actually, they can help you. Just need to be aware that "no" is often their gut reaction.)

We went to the movie park first and then the Magic Kingdom. The movie park isn't that big so were were in and out of there in about 4 hours (including lunch.) Two longest lines we had were in the Toy Story part of the movie park. If with young kids I might suggest you hit that area first.

We have been to WDW so many times that we didn't feel the need to hit every ride. We did look to go on rides that our kids knew (like Space Mountain) that were very different from what they know in Florida.

Sarastro Jul 22nd, 2011 03:43 PM

You can purchase tickets anytime but as madamtrashheap says there is no reserved seating. The RER A operates from about 6h00 to around midnight so you simply hop on the next departure noting the final destination, Marne la Vallee, as there are RER A trains which go to Boissy instead.

Cost is 7€. There are no return tickets (just two one ways) but you could purchase a Mobilis day pass for 14€.

xyz123 Jul 22nd, 2011 03:51 PM

I was gooing to suggest purchasing a Mobilis ticket (billet de mobilis) for zones 1 to 5 (pour les zones un a cinq)...it basically costs the same as two one way tickets from zone 1 to zone 5 but if you don't stay the whole day, you can use the ticket for the rest of the day throughout the metro and RER system within the validity of the ticket. The only problem I had is that the RATP which operates the metro system and jointly with SNCF (the French national rail) are withdrawing clerks at stations and want you to use the machines to purchase tickets and then you run into the chip and pin vs. antiquated US magnetic strip credit cards (the clerk seemed angry at me when I bought my mobiis ticket for bothering her when I should be using the machines according to her...pas de chip I kept saying; she finally sold me the mobilis ticket).

You need RER A4 with trains marked to Marie la Valle (parc Dianeyland)...it's the last stop on this line and as noted you need your ticket to both enter and leave the stations on the RER...also inerestingly enough, although it doesn't really matter, while metro trains operate on the right side, RER trains, being also part of the National rail system, drive on the left!

mab3ru Jul 24th, 2011 05:58 PM

Thanks all for the reply!

Btw The Mobilis ticket (billet de mobilis)can be use for Both metro & RER system?

xyz123 Jul 24th, 2011 06:27 PM

Yes....essentially the mobilis ticket is a lot like a one day travelcard on the London public transportation system valid for all forms of transport (Metro, RER, bus, tram) within the zones of validity.

mab3ru Jul 24th, 2011 08:24 PM

xyz123 - Thanks for sharing !! :)