Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Dinner Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-dinner-recommendations-1655275/)

Myer Jul 3rd, 2018 06:46 PM

Paris Dinner Recommendations

We'll have breakfast at our hotel and don't really eat a big lunch.
It's dinner suggestions we're looking for in Paris.

Our hotel is on the Left Bank but not restricted to that.

kja Jul 3rd, 2018 06:51 PM

Have you searched this forum? It's not an uncommon question.

And to provide any meaningful answer, I would think we would know your price range and your preferences, etc....

TPAYT Jul 4th, 2018 04:07 AM

If you’d like a gorgeous room at somewhat reasonable prices try Le Train Bleu at Gare Lyon.

Some people dress up at dinner but because it’s in a train station you’ll also see some in more casual clothes.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...de_France.html

Just don’t go if the weather is hot.....unless the’ve done something about the air conditioning.

Le Train Bleu is a place you will remember and sometimes see in movies or on TV. The food is excellent and beautifully presented.

Belinda Jul 4th, 2018 04:40 AM

A great place to look for and book restaurants is TheFork.com. You can put in an arrondissement or type of cuisine and get everything that is available. You can even look at menus and restaurant websites.

i will recommend a couple of places. Truffes Folies in the 7th or 8th. Everything features truffles. Book on TheFork.com for up to 50% discount. Les Ombres on top of Musée Quai Branley. I go for lunch for better value. Fabulous views. For a budget busting meal, L’Oiseau Blanc on the roof of the Paris Peninsula Hotel. Amazing food, excellent service and spectacular views.

AJPeabody Jul 4th, 2018 06:10 AM

You may want to check out my trip report
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...017-a-1480409/
from our trip last September. I'm wordy but the dining lists could be useful to you.

I second using The Fork or the French version La Fourchette, aided if needed by Google Translate. The reviews of the restaurants differ on the two sites by language of posting. Also, you can make reservations without calling the restaurant, often getting 20-50% off the a la carte menu.

denisea Jul 4th, 2018 08:48 AM

I am always happy with Allard in the 6th. The sole menuiere (sp?) is a favorite of ours to share as it serves two. For our splurge, we love L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (go to the one in the 6th, not the one off Champs Elysee).

We also enjoy Phillippe Excoffier in the 7th (especially if you love a souffle). Verjus in the first has creative cuisine and a very reasonably priced prix fixe menu (and we love the wine bar downstairs).

maitaitom Jul 4th, 2018 11:03 AM

Our favorite ... L'Ange 20 near Place des Vosges. Good food at reasonable prices. Reservations a good idea.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/lange-20-paris-france/

https://www.lange20.com/en/menus/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...de_France.html

Myer Jul 5th, 2018 03:36 AM

I guess I should describe our dinner style.
We are not foodies nor gourmet diners.

We are fine with a chicken salad, hamburger, roast chicken, steak frites, BBQ ribs, Crepes, etc.
A decent meal is all we'd like.

cilburke Jul 5th, 2018 04:01 AM

A number of restaurants on Rue de Buci would offer what you're looking for. Casual brasseries and good basic food at moderate prices.

Southam Jul 5th, 2018 05:45 AM

https://parisbymouth.com/

Myer Jul 5th, 2018 07:29 AM

cilburke,
You are probably correct in making that suggestion.

We were in Paris in 2012 and 2015.

In 2012 we were quite pleased with our dinner choices. However, in 2015, although our choices appeared to be quite similar (though probably not exactly the same) we just didn't find the meals as good (though we probably ordered similar meals).

I wonder if it was us or did we just not eat at restaurants that were as good?

AJPeabody Jul 5th, 2018 08:15 AM

Myer. your finding of similarity from one restaurant to another may be due to the expanding reach of central commissary cooking, sent vacuum-bagged and frozen for on-demand microwaving and a dash of parsley to any restaurant that wants a small cooking staff and a long menu. Now there is nothing wrong with getting a Picard-like experience when all you want is food, but if you want something not ordered off the commissary's wholesale list, look for restaurants with short menus, especially those that change from day to day.

bella9440 Jul 5th, 2018 08:25 AM

You may want to try Le Relais d' Entrecote in the 6th, they serve nothing but streak/frites. I would recommend getting there early before the doors open as there is always a line

denisea Jul 5th, 2018 09:02 AM

Agree with bella on Le Relais d'Entrecote. I would just find a few local cafes and check the specials to see what interests you. If you are staying in the 6th, then Les Editeurs, Marco Polo, Le Bonaparte and Cafe Danton are all places that we have had food that we enjoyed. Also, there are a number of small places located in the covered market (St Germain) that might be of interest to you.

Myer Jul 5th, 2018 12:45 PM

bella, denisea,

I looked up Le Relais d'Entrecote and while the menu was difficult to read it seemed to have a bunch of items. Maybe just off-shoots of the same thing.

You must be standing outside our hotel.

All of your choices are a block or so away.
Thanks.

denisea Jul 5th, 2018 01:46 PM

Oh good...we stay near St Germain de Pres church area or the Odeon area on most trips. if you enjoy small plates you can also consider Freddy's Wine bar (rue de Seine) . Also Cafe Breizh near the Odeon metro stop offers a great lunch combination with cider or apple juice. Super good (especially the salted caramel dessert crepe).

TPAYT Jul 5th, 2018 01:53 PM

Just back from Paris 2 weeks age.
Relais Entrecôte ....we’ve been there many times in Paris & Toulouse. We call it “one dish” because when we first asked for a menu the waitress said....”one dish.” That’s all they have been serving for for 150 yrs. Steak with peppercorn sauce (my husband gets it without) frittes, and salad. They do have a dessert menu with several items.

Les Editeurs....excellent onion soup and steak &frittes. Many other items also. Outside and main floor somewhat chaotic but upstairs dining room quiet and comfortable.

Marco Polo....a must on every trip.

Le Bonaparte...another good casual place

A short walk to Ile St. Louis. Here’s our favorites:
Sorza
L’lot Vache
Saint Regis....really casual & really good
Le Fleur en Isle....really touristy, casual & good

Au Bougnat...near Notre Dame, excellent food

bella9440 Jul 5th, 2018 02:15 PM

Tpayt is correct only steak frites served with a selection of wine and desserts... Relais Entrecôte is my go to on my first night as I am exhausted from my flight and the idea of waiting til 8ish to eat is just inhumane. The doors open at 7pm and I get there at 6:45pm. Be prepared the service is swift and curt, but I love the frites and always ask for seconds (;

Myer Jul 5th, 2018 02:19 PM

denisea,
You reminded me of a story.
Our first trip to Paris was probably well over 40 years ago. On those first few trips we stayed near the old Opera Building.
One day we ventured to the Left Bank, passed Procope and decided to come back for dinner in the evening. There was a couple sitting at the next table and their dog sat there quietly the whole time.
While walking around during the afternoon (obviously before coming back for dinner) my wife wandered into a little angular corner store owned by then two old men. She bought a sweater there.
As we were leaving my wife asked them to come outside so I could take their picture with her wife.

We didn't return for quite a while but on the next trip my wife asked me if I knew where that store was. I didn't have a clue.
A few years later we decided to return and stay on the Left Bank.
I took out the picture hoping to find a clue as to where the store was located.
As luck would have it the store was on a corner and there was a street sign on the side of the store.
The store was a block from our hotel.
The first day in Paris on that trip we went over to the store.
There was a young girl running the store.
She told us her mother bought the store for her about 6 years before. She bought it from two old men. She had no idea if they were still around.
On our last trip to Paris a few years ago we didn't think of going to the store even though we were very close.
Two days ago my wife asked me if I knew where the store is located. I told her it's a block from our hotel.
I guess we'll walk in and see whose running it now.

Myer Jul 5th, 2018 02:42 PM

bella9440,
The way to get past the time change is to get on their time as quickly as possible.
What I do is wake up very early on the travel day going. That way I'll fall asleep earlier than normal on the plane.
Then I make myself stay awake until 10-11PM before going to be. When I wake up in the morning I'm now rested and on their time.

I haven't as yet figured out the return.
I wake up very early for at least a week upon returning.