Paris Daytrip to Troyes.

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Daytrip to Troyes.

StCirq, Do not think your advice goes unheeded. This morning I awoke, checked fodors, and saw your recommendation about Troyes. Dressed, headed to Gare de Est and caught the first train there.

The city is quite medium/small. I had never even heard of it, but it evidently is the capital of Champagne region. The Centre Ville section of the city that was of interest to me covered quite a few blocks of both Midevil and later periods. Blocks after blocks of very interesting timber houses from the 15th century. A beautiful Cathedral, and about 9 other important Churches. It is an easy 1.5 hr. train ride, but seeing the majority if the sites in the old section (Champagne Cork Shaped area), takes a full day with lots of walking.
I think it was a nice change from Paris, and although we did not do the audio tour (The Tourist Office was closed from noon to 2pm- WHy would a tourist office close???), I probably would recommend it to others.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM

I really enjoyed Troyes. May of 2007 my friend and I stayed 3 weeks in Paris. We rented a car and drove one day out to Troyes. Too bad the tourist office was closed because I recall they were quite helpful and had a great map. Another day we drove to Honfleur, upon our arrival we saw 2 cruise ships, ugh. Troyes was a perfect break from Paris.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Hi, Intex.

I'm glad you saw that bit of advice and went to Troyes. I'd heard of it, but it was someone's (MichelParis maybe) post on Fodors that gave me the impetus to visit it. I thought it was a lovely day trip from Paris.

As for the tourist office, they close in many places in France during mid-day, even in high season. Got to go have a nice lunch, y'know?

Anyway, glad you went and found it interesting.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I was very surprised that it was so empty! In the main squares, where most of the tourist cafes were set up with chairs outside, there were maybe 4-5 tables of people having lunch. I kind of felt sorry for everyone, this still is High Season- September. Again I am surprised that even outside Paris, restaurants can be so expensive. Lunch for 2- 60 Euros.

Next week I am off to Strasbourg, hopefully it will not be too much for one day, if so, I guess I can find a hotel.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi intex,

<<I was very surprised that it was so empty!>>

we stayed a night in Troyes once on the way back from a skiiing trip. it was a sunday in March and after 4pm it was dead.

i don't think that it's ever hopping.

regards, ann