Paris day trips: other châteaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Favorite day trips from Paris besides Versailles? This June will be my fourth trip to Paris. I have been to Versailles and Chartres cathedral before. I would love to hear opinions on what people prefer between Vaux le Vixomte, Fontainebleau, Malmaison, and Chantilly... Or any others. I have some mobility issues due to nerve damage in my feet/ankles. I can walk but I wouldn't consider myself able to walk all day long so need to take in to consideration what is closest to respective train stations, etc, to save my feet for the good stuff. Thank you.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
June would be a very nice month to see Giverny. Train from Gare St.-Lazare, then shuttle bus from the station to the garden.

http://giverny.org/
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Some good photos: http://giverny-france.com/
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 03:53 AM

Giverny will be spectacular in June, go as early as possible to avoid the worst of the crowds. I found Chantilly a little cold and sterile, but would suggest the gardens at Vaux le Vicomte could make that a worthwhile trip in June as well.

There is a lovely small book called "An hour from Paris" available on Amazon, that lists many day trips from the city by public transportation. I've forgotten who first recommended that on this board, but owe that Fodorite a great deal of thanks. We even used it last week when we had business in Paris for which we allowed two full days and took only a half an hour.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Perhaps not on the level of the ones you mentioned, but easily accessible from central Paris. It would probably more castle-like than some of the others (though I've only been to Versailles for comparison).
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 08:33 AM

You can look at this thread if you want to see a list of the 20 or so most popular day trips from Paris, including links to official websites and train instructions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#55885554
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Giverny is beautiful.

I would also consider Fontainebleau--long walk from the station but you take a bus from the station which stops right at the entance.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM

June is prime rose season and on the south if Paris somewhat near Orly is http://www.lhaylesroses.fr/roseraie which is just stunning.

For either Fountainebleau or Vaux le Vicomte plan on a taxi to and from the train stations.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:47 PM

June is prime rose season and on the south if Paris somewhat near Orly is http://www.lhaylesroses.fr/roseraie which is just stunning.

For either Fountainebleau or Vaux le Vicomte plan on a taxi to and from the train stations.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:53 PM

I thought Provins was one of the nicest day trips I've been to from Paris - lovely old town - a bit hilly but short enough train ride from Gare de l'Est

Auvers-sur-Oise is one of my favorties - better to me than Giverny as here throughout this small town spread out along the Ourq (?) River are many copies of paintings done by Van Gogh and other Aubvers denizens right at where they executed the paintings.

Like one of Van Gogh's final painting in a corn field with dark skies and black crows circling overhead done just before he shot himself - the room he died in in the local hotel is still there, blood stains and all.

Well those are two of my favorites - tops for me are Chartres, Reims and Versailles (to me actually a part of Paris)
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

very interested in the roses. Thank you for all of your comments. And for the links too. I will definitely do the taxi from the train station for some of these. I've always been interested in Reims as well.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 02:35 PM

I enjoyed Compiegne and its chateau a bit better than Chantilly but if you like horses go to Chantilly - both these towns are easy short train rides from central Paris.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 03:08 PM

For Fontainebleau there is no need for a taxi as the bus to the château is adjacent to the train platform. Just get off the train and walk a few steps and look for bus #1.

For Vaux you might need a taxi but in high season there is also a shuttle bus from the train station in Melun but it only operates on weekends and holidays from the end of March until early November. The 2015 shuttle schedule won't be available until after the New Year but it should be pretty similar to the 2014 schedule. The château website has details on the shuttle bus schedule.

http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/us...ations/access/

There are also bus tours from Paris to both of these châteaux (ParisCityVision) and you can see one or both on the same day (details on château websites).

Provins is a nice day trip and it is just under 1-1/2 hours from Paris (Gare de l'Est). When you arrive at the train station you'll either need to wait for a bus to get you to the upper town or take a taxi. Details on the tourist office website.

If you look at the link I provided you'll find instructions on the website you need to look for train schedules and prices to these châteaux as well as what types of tickets options you'll have. If you won't have a Navigo card then you'll want a one day Mobilis pass for zones 1-5.

The château in Chantilly is 2km from the train station and you can either take a bus or taxi once you arrive there.

The Rose Garden in L'Haÿ les Roses is lovely but there's also a rose garden right in Paris in the Bois de Boulogne called Parc de Bagatelle:

http://www.parisinfo.com/musee-monum...c-de-Bagatelle
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Re Chantilly: there's still quite a bit of walking involved to get from the stables to the chateau. The grounds are extensive but there are golf carts for rent. Enjoy your trip in June!
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 05:53 AM

"Perhaps not on the level of the ones you mentioned, but easily accessible from central Paris. It would probably more castle-like than some of the others (though I've only been to Versailles for comparison)."

Be nice if I had included to what I was referring: Vincennes.