Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Day Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-day-trips-753294/)

arronm39 Dec 14th, 2007 11:11 AM

Paris Day Trips

Going to Paris from January 18th-24th and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on day trips? I've looked at numerous day trip tour websites but haven't seen much feedback about the tours. Fountainebleau looks interesting, as well as Loire valley castle tours.

Michel_Paris Dec 14th, 2007 12:46 PM

I assume this is not your first trip to Paris? If yes...we'll talk :)

For bus tours, Parisvision and Cityrama are the two biggest and most popular.

Fat Bike tours may be another organized group you might want to check out.

On your own, the most mentioned locations here are Versailles, Giverny, Auvers sur Oise, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Reims, Dijon, Troyes, Vaux le Vicomte...

libanio Dec 14th, 2007 12:51 PM

Depending in your interest visiting Chartres is a good suggestion.
Take the train at Montparnasse. In an hour you will be at Chartres.
The whole day-trip could take six hours.

ira Dec 14th, 2007 12:55 PM

Hi A,

With only 6 nights, first visit, January, with your mother, I recommend against daytrips.

You'll have enough to do in Paris.

However, Chartres, Malmaison and Versailles, as well as Fontainebleau, are very easy to get to, and you don't have to purchase a tour.

((I))

arronm39 Dec 14th, 2007 03:33 PM

Michel & Ira, this isn't my first time in Paris. I've been once before for a couple days, but the main focus of our trip was the Dordogne region (hikes/tours/etc). Just looking for some interesting sights outside the city. Chartres definitely sounds good. I'm assuming the return ticket via train is reasonably inexpsensive?

ira Dec 15th, 2007 06:07 AM

Hi A,

Train schedules and prices for Chartres are at www.voyages-sncf.com

You can also google your destinations for info on how to get there. Not all require SNCF.

((I))

JudyC Dec 15th, 2007 03:26 PM

Reims is another interestign destination for day trip, 45 minutes train from Paris Gare de l'est.

dakotapie Jan 10th, 2008 01:34 PM

If we were to go to some of these locations via train, is it reasonable to get around without having to worry about other forms of transportation? We'd love to go to Versailles and Fountainbleu but don't want a ton of hassle getting from the train station to these places. Do cabs run?

ira Jan 10th, 2008 01:55 PM

Hi D,

>If we were to go to some of these locations via train, is it reasonable to get around without having to worry about other forms of transportation?

Yes

Sue4 Jan 10th, 2008 02:02 PM

Versailles is an easy daytrip via the RER. You can walk over to the castle from the RER station, no need for a taxi.

Chartres is also an easy walk to the cathedral from the train station.

I would not do a Loire Valley tour, with only 6 days in Paris. That is definitely worth more than a daytrip.

aggiegirl Jan 11th, 2008 08:03 AM

I did a Loire chateau day trip tour and was glad I did it. I got to see Chambord and two other wonderful chateaus. I think my total time in Paris was 6 or 7 days and even with the day trip to the Loire and another excursion to Versailles, I saw a lot and had a blast.

LADYLYN Feb 11th, 2008 06:08 AM

did a Loire chateau day trip tour and was glad I did it.

Can you tell me which tour co you used? My daughter and I will visit Paris for the second time in April. We would like to take one day for a visit to the Loire Valley. Is it possible to to see one or two of the Chateaux and do a wine tasting on the same day?
I did see one tour company LinkParis.com. The cost was $167 + rail of $106. Don't know if this a resonable price or not.

EmilyMB Feb 11th, 2008 06:32 AM

bookmark

Robespierre Feb 11th, 2008 06:42 AM

I think 6 days is plenty of time to get a good feel of both Paris and a nearby sight or two (no more than an hour in transit each way). There is nothing intrinsically more attractive, historically significant, or interesting <i>inside</i> Paris as there is <i>outside</i> it.

Versailles, Chartres, Fontainebleau, and The Loire are within easy reach by train. The rail company has even packaged some of the sight admissions with train fares: http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...oisirs/lang/en