Paris Day Trip - Senlis or Troyes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senlis and Troyes are about the last two towns on my list of day trips from Paris that I have wanted to do - having done practically every other possible one.

Q is - on my next trip I will have to chose one over the other and I would like input from anyone who has been to either one as to how you liked it or if you have been to both a comparison.

My impression the Troyes is a much bigger city and Senlis more like Provins, which I loved - a smaller thoroughly old-looking town. But I really have no real impression.

So Troyes or Senlis is my conundrum - guidance S V P!

Merci in advance.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM

We've visited both - Senlis last year and Troyes about 5 years ago. Both my wife & I prefer Troyes. Beautiful architecture, interesting & unusual museums, a few streets only 3 meters wide, and a nice "square". We stayed overnight. We walked around Senlis & thought it was OK. But in Michelin terms - it is not "worth a journey" - Troyes is. We preferred Provins over Senlis.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
DDA

I preferred Senlis. Troyes was one of the few towns in France that I did not particularly like. Difficult to remember exactly why- but I found it lacking the charm of most Fench towns. However, rather than a day trip, we stayed in Senlis the night before we flew out of France, as it is convenient to CDG.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM

One nice thing about Senlis is that you can also visit Chantilly on the same trip and both are easy to get to using public transportation from Paris.

I have really enjoyed my multiple trips to Provins and Senlis. I've never been to Troyes but I get the impression it is a larger town than Senlis with more to explore.

Seems like you can't go wrong with your choice!
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

zoecat - the Chantilly angle would be great - if going by train as I do you I believe have to get off at Chantilly, have some creme Chantilly and take a bus to Senlis - an SNCF bus I believe replacing rail travel on a line on which passenger service has been withdrawn - hop my railpass works on the bus if I chose Senlis and I may try for both this time.

But I have already seen the splendid Chantilly castle and loved it - but otherwise that may have tipped it to me.

Thanks for the comments. I'm leaning to Troyes right now. I like bigger towns in general.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

topping for other opinions?

thanks in advance!
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM

I haven't been to Troyes yet but I recently did a couple of visits to Senlis and Chantilly. I took a lot of photos of Senlis if you want to have a look at my report:

http://tinyurl.com/ch2odst

I really liked Senlis. I found it much different than Provins even though both are medieval towns. Troyes would definitely have a lot more to do in terms of museums and such but Senlis is really nice to wander around.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM

I haven't been to Senlis, but I liked Troyes well enough. It has a few interesting things to see and is generally a pleasant town, I don't ask for much else.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM

If you like tools, you might choose Troyes. It has a museum of 19th century tools of the trades that preceded the industrial revolution.

http://www.maison-de-l-outil.com/
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

again thanks all for your inputs - it helped me decide to try to do both towns next trip - not on the same day to be sure!