Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris: Connection between train stations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-connection-between-train-stations-582881/)

marcoroll Jan 18th, 2006 10:59 AM

Paris: Connection between train stations

My wife and I will travel by train from Milan to London, via Paris. We're not sure if 2 hours are long enough to go from Gare Bercy to Gare du Nord (including getting tickets, checking in etc).

Milan to Paris (Artesia, overnight train)
Arrive Gare Bercy at 0823

Paris to London (Eurostar)
Leave Gare du Nord at 1019

I did some research and know that I can take the subway -- take line 14 to Gare de Lyon, switch to line D to Gare du Nord. But just don't know whether 2 hours would be enough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christina Jan 18th, 2006 11:11 AM

yes, it should be fine. They aren't that far apart, and because you are coming by train, you will have no wait time for luggage. As for getting tickets, you never know, but it shouldn't take so long that you have a problem with that 2 hour time frame. They do often have really long lines at train ticket windows, and Gare du Nord is no exception -- but half hour at most, I'd think (and that's probably a little high), for the tickets.

PalQ Jan 18th, 2006 11:23 AM

Yes two hours enough - i assume by tickets you mean metro/RER tickets - there can be long lines at Gare du Nord for these if you don't use the machines but i believe you're talking about buying them at Bercy, a quiet metro station just opposite the Gare du Bercy where Artesia trains arrive - buy one ticket that will take you all the way to Gare du Nord (keep ticket as you may need it to exit thru gates at end)
I question why you must take the 10:19 Eurostar as they often run twice an hour so why put such little time in - real threat is that the Artesia night train may be late - not uncommon in my experience with night trains.

marcoroll Jan 18th, 2006 11:34 AM

Thanks Christina and PalQ. What a prompt response!

When I mention "getting the tickets", I mean picking up the tickts for the trip Paris-London at Gare du Nord (as I'll order online and pick up tickets there).

In terms of getting the 1019 train to London. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, Paris-London runs once every 1.5 hours (approximately). The next one after 1019 will be 1143.

Thanks again! ;)

ira Jan 18th, 2006 11:34 AM

Hi M,

www.ratp.fr says you will have to walk from Gare Bercy to Gare de Lyon (8 min). From there it is 8 min by RER D.

Gare de Lyon is very large. Figure on 15 min for getting lost.

You have plenty of time.

((I))

Robespierre Jan 18th, 2006 11:39 AM

You're going through Paris without stopping? Do you have to?

Were it me, I'd book the last possible Eurostar to London that night, and kick around Paris until I had to leave.

Instead of a single <i>ticket &quot;t&quot;</i>, I'd buy a <i>carnet</i> (ten tickets for 10.70&euro;) or two <i>Mobilis</i> passes for 10.80&euro; and visit a few favorite sites/sights.

If they haven't been shut down by <i>Operation Vigipirate</i>, the left luggage facility at Gare du Nord will stash your gear.

Here's a nice overview of the city by bus:

<b>http://tinyurl.com/c2tgo</b>

PalQ Jan 18th, 2006 11:49 AM

The Bercy metro station is right by the Gare du Bercy so i wouldn't walk the 8 minutes to Gare du Lyon - i just did that walk in December - didn't seem like 8 minutes to me though isn't very far. I'd hop the metro at Bercy as once you get to Gare du Lyon it may take you several minutes to find the metro.
I'd book the 11:43 Eurostar to be sure and not rush.
Tickets thru RailEurope can be as low as $90 Paris-London so compare to online prices. Even if going thru eurostar.com they may be higher as i've found RailEurope often has cheaper prices than on their web site www.raileurope.com - i always recommend calling BETS (800-41-2387) to check on Eurostar prices before buying - they will search for cheapest fare it seems often not on Raileurope or eurostar.com for some reason and won't charge the $15 RE handling fee. I'd book the 11:43 especially if you have to retrieve your tickets at Nord station as lines could be long at windows or machines - maybe another reason to get your hands on tickets before leaving.

ira Jan 18th, 2006 12:04 PM

&gt;...I'd hop the metro at Bercy

The Bercy station serves the no. 6 and 14 lines. They don't go to Gare du Nord.

It would save time to walk to Gare de Lyon.

((I))

PalQ Jan 18th, 2006 12:16 PM

You may be right - but how about taking the metro from Bercy to Gare de Lyon and transfering there to RER D that goes direct to Gare du Nord - the walk with bags could be more than 8 minutes - i don't know which is better so your scenario may be the best bet - depends on how folks walk and how much baggage and baggage with wheels OK. ??? If ratp site says to walk i guess tips the balance.

Robespierre Jan 18th, 2006 01:41 PM

Anyone ever transferred from 14 to the RER at Ch&acirc;telet? I've done a lot of <i>correspondances</i> there, some of them pretty easy and some real hikes. But I've never had occasion to use 14, so I don't know if it's easier or harder than at Gare de Lyon, which is a real maze.

RonZ Jan 18th, 2006 03:15 PM

Why not just take a taxi?

RonZ Jan 18th, 2006 03:32 PM

Or by city bus. The 87 from Bercy Station to the end of the line [Champ de Mars] and then changing to the 42 at the same stop.

PalQ Jan 19th, 2006 08:53 AM

Back to original post - it's not whether two hours is enough, but 90 minutes as you must check-in for Eurostar at least 30 minutes early to be guaranteed getting on the train due to airport-type security. I think the 10:19 train is cutting it too short, esp if the night train is a bit late.