Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris: Cimetiere Pere Lachaise & Puces de Montreuil Flea Market (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-cimetiere-pere-lachaise-and-puces-de-montreuil-flea-market-752575/)

RGTraveler Dec 10th, 2007 09:46 AM

Paris: Cimetiere Pere Lachaise & Puces de Montreuil Flea Market

We enjoy flea markets and want to go to one while in Paris. The Montreuil flea market appears close to the Pere Lachaise cemetary, which we also want to see.
My question is are they within walking distance of each other and is it an area we want to be walking?
There doesn't appear to be easy metro stops between the two.
Thanks for a reply.

Christina Dec 10th, 2007 09:59 AM

I like Montreuil and have walked around it, there is nothing wrong with it or around Pere Lachaise, where I've also walked around the general broader neighborhood. No reason you can't walk there if you want, as you'll be doing this in the day time, anyway. I've walked from Pere Lachaise up to Menilmontant and then west all the way to the Bastille area one afternoon, just for fun.

I'd guess it's about 1.5 to 2 km between Montreuil and Pere Lachaise. That isn't that bad. The metro is pretty easy between the two, just take line 9 from Montreuil to Nation, and then transfer to line 2 a couple stops until Pere Lachaise. It may not be the most direct route, but it is pretty easy and is only ten stops total. I routinely take ten stops when going from my hotel in MOntparnasse to somewhere on the Right Bank.

Travelnut Dec 10th, 2007 10:03 AM

You can leave the flea mkt from Porte de Montreuil stop, go to Nation and correspond to Line 2 to Pere Lachaise... should take about 15 minutes or so.

You could walk it, but I don't know what the area looks like between the cemetery and the Montreuil metro stop. It would be about 1.5 km to walk.

Travelnut Dec 10th, 2007 10:03 AM

ha, hey Christina... you're a faster typist than I am!

kerouac Dec 10th, 2007 10:18 AM

It is an easy and pleasant walk through working class neighborhoods. One can learn a lot more about real people in such areas than in many of the upscale tourist districts.

PalenQ Dec 10th, 2007 10:25 AM

oui - i walked recently from Lachaise to Buttes Chaumont and on to La Villette and it's an interesting walk, similar to your trajectory but about twice as long and didn't seem that far

and an ordinary Paris - working class but fine.

I'd try to stay away from paralleling the noisy Boulevard Peripherique if you can and trek thru neighborhoods

as i remember it may be a bit hilly

WillTravel Dec 10th, 2007 10:54 AM

My daughter, aged 15 earlier this year (and she does look a little older), was accosted continuously by numerous young men when she visited the Montreuil flea market in February. She was fully dressed in winter clothes. She was adept at shaking them all off, but it was quite ridiculous. Just mentioning this in case any of your party are young women.

RGTraveler Dec 10th, 2007 02:50 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Being an inexperienced metro person I thought the transfers might be a little complicated, but from your comments it doesn't sound like it will be.

Travelnut Dec 10th, 2007 05:15 PM

The Paris metro is a cake walk. Even if you make a mistake, get off at the next stop, cross over and get on the next train going back to where you messed up.

The main thing to understand is that each line has a destination/name for each end (sometimes there is a 'split end', so be aware of that, just look at the map to find some of these, like Line 7 for instance)... You travel in the direction of one end or the other. There are stops along the way. Some stops on one line are also stops for other lines, ie. intersecting, so you can usually get off one line, follow a tunnel and get on another line. These are indicated by white circles or ovals on the metro map. There are blue and white signs with arrows on the tunnel walls at turns so you know which one to follow.

It's a good idea to know what the next stop is after the one you got on so you can tell right away that you are indeed traveling in the right direction.

Sometimes there are musicians or flower stalls or snack bars down there.