Paris: CDG to Apartment with 3 kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 5 - kids ages 13, 11 and 8 - will be traveling to Paris. I'm told our flat is a 5 min. walk from the Les Halles metro station, which I also know is huge. If it were you, how would you get from the airport to the flat? If it were just DH and I we'd take the train...but with the kids...?
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I'd take a cab, especially after a presumably overnight flight, luggage, young kids, RER rush hour(?), etc.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Take a taxi. I learned this the hard way: We (2 adults one child) thought we would use the RER. We ended up taking the shttle at CDG to the RER terminal, then the RER to Gare Nord, then a taxi to our hotel. 3 transfers with luggage and stroller. I am usually smarter than that (barely).
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:04 AM

I agree that with tired kids after an international flight, a taxi or shuttle door to door would be your best bet.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM

Don't even consider the train.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, but how many of us wil fit into one taxi? That is my concern with a taxi. What about the various shuttle services?
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:40 AM

The taxi guys at CDG will get you a taxi for five, no problem. Just indicate how many in your group and they'll steer you to a station wagon or van taxi at no extra cost. Make sure you get a Taxi Parisien - anything else is a con.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 11:48 AM
ira

Hi missy,

The following notes are from other posters

Taxi G7
01.41.27.66.99 English-speaking
01.41.27.66.66 Airport transport
Taxi Bleus
01.49.36.10.10 English-speaking

From CDG to Paris there are the Paris Shuttle (parishuttle.com), and the Bee shuttle (bee-shuttle.com) about 15 E each. Bee shuttle charges 90 E for 4 people in a private van. Paris Shuttle charges 120E for a limo.

Also [email protected]--make it to the attention of EVELYN

A shuttle might be cheaper than a taxi.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:03 PM

The shuttle will be much more than the taxi--about 45E plus some supplements (small) for luggage and extra persons.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Take a taxi!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Our children were almost exactly the ages of yours the first time we took them to Europe. Our first stop was London and my DH was so unhappy about the cab fare to the rail station he tried to convince me to take the RER to our apt. in Paris. We'd never been to Paris, and I didn't want to learn their rail system with 3 kids and too much luggage. Again, he was so unhappy about the cab fare to our apt. he MADE us take the RER back to the rail station to catch the train to Amsterdam. Long story short, we had three grouchy kids, 7 suitcases and many flights of stairs to go up and down to get to the RER. One suitcase ripped open (try asking for duck tape in French) and we got glares for holding everyone up. Finally ditched the suitcase and bought another. The moral of the story is, sometimes it just isn't worth saving a few buck when traveling with kids!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM

As long as we're comparing prices between a taxi and a shuttle, www.airport-connection.com (recommended by Rick Steves at Europe Through the Back Door) charges 35E for the first two persons (combined) plus 15E for each additional "adult." In missypie's case, only her youngest child would get the child's rate of 9E. So the total price would be 35+15+15+9=74E. As Gretchen says, one of the larger taxis (station wagon or minivan) would be cheaper.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Actually, Jayne, it's VERY easy to obtain duck tape in France - FAR easier than duct tape
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:50 PM

I always thought is was duct tape also until I read the label in Home Depot!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:30 AM

It is really duct tape, but some particular US brand labels theirs "duck tape" just to be cute, I think.

Here is an amusing web page in French about duct tape, and how drole the Americans are to refer to it as "ruban adhesif du canard". It's kind of funny, I thought:

http://www.adoptanescargot.com/ducttape.htm
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:55 AM

LOL - I wish I'd seen this prior to our suitcase debacle. By the way, all the clothes ended up in a big bag and we looked like vagabonds when we got to our hotel in Amsterdam (by taxi of course!).
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Dear Missypie,
Our two kids were 8 & 12 when we visited Paris for a few days in 2000. We arrived by Eurostar from London and caught a taxi to our hotel. The taxi lines were lenthy but moved fairly quickly - arrived around midday. Although traffic is usually a nightmare, it is easier to pay the extra and take a taxi. We don't speak fluent french and didnt want the hassle of arriving in a strange country with either tired or overexcited kids.
On our second visit (late 2003), we arrived at CDG near midnight. Again we decided it was quicker and less hassle to take a taxi, but make sure you find the official taxi rank - there were plenty of illegal drivers in our face trying to offer you a ride. We had arrived in the old terminal and got a bit lost trying to find the rank. By now I would think the renovations have been finished and you should find it easier.
During both visits we found that the Paris Visite passes (bought at home via travel agent) were very good value. Unlimited travel via Metro, RER and bus (depending on the Zone => 3-5 or 8) - makes it quick and easy.
On our way back home via CDG, we found that our Paris Visite Pass also allowed us free use of the Roissybus - which picks up from central locations in Paris every 15 mins and goes directly to CDG. We were comfortable doing this because (a) it was free and (b) after a week in Paris we felt like old hands using their transport system.
I hope you have a fabulous time - our kids particularly loved the Centre Pompidou (abstract modern art is always funny to look at); the Eiffel Tower; and dodging the dog poo on the cobblestones....
regards
Lori
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:52 PM

I should think that at least two of your children are capable of handling their own baggage, and in that case I think the RER is the best and quickest way to your apartment. As I recall, there is a lengthy flight of stairs down to the platform at CDG, but my aged wife and I had no problems with it. Since you are staying in an apartment, I presume you will have a washer, and can accordingly carry very little in the way of clothing. That should enable you to pack lightly. Crowding was not a problem when we arrived early in the morning, and in any event, you are getting on near the end of the line, so you should be able to find seats together easily. Practice shouting La Porte, Si Vous Plais, so someone will open the door for you when you arrive at Les Halles.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Clevelandbrown, are you related to my husband? Before kids we took the train with no problem at all, so he's convinced that we can do it with kids. Each of us will have a rolling carry-on, and some kind of back pack or messenger bag. Maybe I'll see how the kids are holding out after the longest flight of their lives, and play it by ear.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Les Halles has a lot of stairs and not all places have elevators or escalators. Depending on where you will exit on the train station, it does get difficult carrying bags up the stairs. The train is a cheap option but in this case with 3 kids, don't even think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -