Paris CDG taxi for 5 - one more time, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From lots of discussion in this forum, I understand that a taxi for 4 with luggage is not a big deal from airport to city. However, what if we add one more, as in our case for a May trip? Looks to me like the minivan taxis are big enough - after all, we'll be coming to our US departure point in mine, and even an extra person (for the taxi driver) seems doable. I do recognize that European minivans can be a bit smaller that in the US.

We prefer this to a shuttle for the timing convenience - maybe having a coffee and croissant in the airport, and so leaving on our schedule, rather than that of a reserved shuttle. If this looks to be a problem, please advise. Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Book a shuttle...airport-connection.com. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM

European mini vans are a lot smaller than those in the US when it comes to cargo space. We drive a Honda Oddysey in the US - standard 7 passenger van. In Europe last summer we rented one mini-van (people mover) for a portion of our travels. Our party consisted of 6 adults. Each of us had only a 21" rolling carryon bag and one other small backpack or other type of bag. We were barely able to fit ourselves and the luggage in the mini-van. The only way that we managed was to use the seventh seat for luggage as well as the very small cargo area in back.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM

No offense intended, but are any of the folks in your group "people of size" as they say on Southwest Airlines? If not, then you can probably get away with 5 passengers in a Parisian minivan taxi as long as there is not a whole lot of luggage. If more than one member of your group is pretty zaftig or there will be lots of bags consider two cabs, which still may be cheaper and more convenient than a shuttle.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Seamus, no large folks, and each of us will have a small on-plane carry-on, and a smallish checked bag like a 24" roller suitcase (so a little larger than the 21" allowed for carry-on). Sounds like we could fit into one minivan taxi, and so we'll try unless anyone strongly advises otherwise.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Guenmai---book a shuttle. It's the best way to go.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM

hey Mike, good luck with that -- what's the worst that can happen, you have to take two cabs or wait a while. I wouldn't call a 24" bag smallish, that's larger than normal so five of those, plus five carryons plus five people, on top of the driver -- sounds like a lot. But what do I know, they certainly have shuttle vans that big, but they aren't usually the taxis I see at the airport (which are smaller). I think there are some, but they aren't that common.

If the only real reason you are doing this is to have a croissant and coffee at the airport upon arrival (?), I would forego that experience, as enticing as it sounds. I am not serious, I hope you know.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM

You may have to wait a bit longer than most folks, but 7-person minivan taxis are fairly common at CDG these days. I took one all by myself last time I landed!

But if each of you has a 24" suitcase and carryon, it's going to be pretty tight. To me, that's a big suitcase, and the storage area in a 7-person van just isn't that big.

I think you'll squeeze in, but you may be jammed in there.