Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris CDG Airport - Lodging for Early Flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-cdg-airport-lodging-for-early-flight-782021/)

Lyndell Apr 30th, 2009 07:19 AM

Paris CDG Airport - Lodging for Early Flight

We are looking for suggestions on where to stay for an early (7:15) flight to the U.S. out of Paris CDG Airport on June 17. We will be arriving on a June 16 afternoon/early evening TGV train from Provence (probably Aix) and hope to find something for ~100 Euros (or less). We stayed at the airport IBIS for about 100 Euros a few years ago and found it marginally acceptable but an excellent location. An internet check on rooms there this morning found much higher prices and no room available for our date.

Lyndell Apr 30th, 2009 08:08 AM

I'll try phoning directly later but a few minutes ago I did a search on hotel.com for a room for 2 persons. The results for hotels near the airport were:
Chaplain Rive Gauche not available
Novotel Paris CDG Terminal $346
Hilton Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport $520
Express by Holiday Inn CDG not available
Millennium Hotel Paris Charles de Gaulle$258
Paris CDG Marriott Airport Hotel $416
Kyriad Prestige Roissy not available
Suitehotel Paris Roissy Cdg not available
Suites by MdB not available

Palenque Apr 30th, 2009 08:34 AM

check www.accorhotels.com for lower prices at their Ibis or ETAP airport properties (not sure if there is an ETAP but friend just stayed at one of their airport hotels for about $100 - check also for specials they may have - also own Novotel

Christina Apr 30th, 2009 08:49 AM

Hotels.com is probably not the best way to find rooms, going to hotel's own websites might work better -- a lot of them area chains, after all, so they tend to have them.

The Comfort Hotel CDG Le Mesnil-Amelot says it has a room vacant on 6/16 for only 100 euro, and that hotel is only a few km away from the airport. It even has free airport transportation. go to www.comfortinn.com or maybe the choicehotels website.

Palenque Apr 30th, 2009 08:51 AM

a friend coming to States from CDG stayed in one of the Accor hotels and took the free shuttle to the terminals and reports that the shuttle was late coming and slow going - she nearly missed her check-in - defeating staying at the airport. So plan accordingly.

susanna Apr 30th, 2009 08:52 AM

I have always used Priceline for CDG, I bid for 4 star and about $100usdollars and I always get the Sheraton or the Hilton, you might consider this.

TimS Apr 30th, 2009 09:03 AM

According to www.accor.com, the Etap Hotel Roissy CDG Paris Nord 2 has rooms available for 16 June. There is free shuttle bus service to the airport. However, if the Ibis was "marginally acceptable" to you, be aware that Etap is one step lower in the Accor chain.

wondering Apr 30th, 2009 09:36 AM

Before you book, make sure you check the hours of the free shuttles. I know from experience ( a bad one) that sometimes they are late for that first morning run...

nukesafe Apr 30th, 2009 09:41 AM

We have always stayed in town, rather than the airport, and called for an early taxi. They have always been on time, traffic at that unholy time of the morning is very light, you get there quickly, and the meter does not run up in traffic jams.

:-)

Guenmai Apr 30th, 2009 10:23 AM

Suitehotel (An Accor Hotel). Very nice. All rooms 30 square meters big and two bathrooms and two showers and a bathtub. There are two Suite Hotels. I stayed at the one across from the restaurant and attached to one other hotel and next to another hotel. It was the second one on the shuttle stop, from CDG. Happy Travels!

CarolA Apr 30th, 2009 10:36 AM

If it's just the two of you...

You might try Priceline or Hotwire. I got the Shearton last year for around $100 a night. Use www.betterbidding.com for assistance to figure out what you might get.

Wou

Lyndell May 10th, 2009 09:22 AM

My online searches initially yielded nothing under $200 at or close to CDG. My wife decided to try and, until today, had little better success. Today she found a $78 price for the CDG Terminal IBIS on the IBIS website and made our reservations. She never did phone, so we don't know how that would have faired. Thanks to every one who responded.

kerouac May 10th, 2009 09:26 AM

If all you're doing is sleeping the last night, I definitely recommend the Etap Hotel, or else the Première Classe next door to it. Both of those are under 50€.

Challiman May 10th, 2009 09:37 AM

Lyndell, it is still a good idea to verify that there is an early morning shuttle as we had a terrible time with our reservations at a Holiday Inn at CDG. They assured us they had a 24 hour shuttle but that was not what we learned upon check-in. They had to call a taxi for us, but that had to be arranged the night before. Then, guess what, the "taxi" arrived with a Holiday Inn sign on the side of the van.
So, if you're planning on the shuttle, do all you can to verify the exact time it will be available and be aware that you may not be the first stop at the airport. Our whole point of moving to the airport was a stress-free morning. We were not happy with Holiday Inn there for several reasons, but the big one was their deceit about the shuttle hours and then saying they were calling a taxi, but it was still a HI vehicle. Of course, the taxi was not free.

kerouac May 10th, 2009 10:34 AM

I don't think there is a flight to the U.S. at 7:15 a.m. I think that the very first direct flight to the U.S. is the Air France flight at 8:25 a.m. (the reason it leaves so early is because it is the flight that replaced the Concorde so that people could arrive in NYC as early as possible)

Is your flight a connecting flight to another European city to get your U.S. flight? If so, check-in is usually open until 30 minutes before departure.

Lyndell May 11th, 2009 05:43 AM

We have to change planes in Frankfurt. There we have 45 minutes between flights. We were told that the change time should be adequate our flight to the U.S. from Frankfurt should be close to the flight we arrive on from Paris.

tejana May 11th, 2009 05:51 AM

Do not dawdle once you land in Frankfurt - 45 minutes will be pushing it. I hate transferring in Frankfurt or Munich because of German security rules these days (you have to clear INS for any transfer in Germany, and there are secondary security checks for flights heading for the US, even if you never leave the security area). Almost as bad as transferring at Heathrow.

kerouac May 11th, 2009 09:23 AM

For a Schengen flight to Frankfurt, check-in is open until 30 minutes before departure.