Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris car rental--Who has used Europcar (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-car-rental-who-has-used-europcar-202761/)

Barb Apr 21st, 2002 10:14 AM

Paris car rental--Who has used Europcar

I read some of the old threads on car rentals in Paris and searched on www.autoeurope.com as well as travelocity, which gave me a rate of $204 for a rental of a 4 door standard size car w/a/c for June 14-20. (Europcar) I feel a standard size is best, since I am taking my brother and his wheelchair. I drive an automatic every day at home, so I'm used to it. This rate is about $100 less than Autoeurope so I'm wondering if Fodorites have successfully rented from Europcar, or through Travelocity? Also, any input on extras, ie insurance, would be appreciated. Thanks, Barb

tania Apr 21st, 2002 10:28 AM

We have rented through Europcar twice, once in Nice and once in Paris through Holidau house Travel. <BR><BR>Good prices in Canadian dollars. <BR><BR>A word to the wise: In Nice. they gave away our Auto transmission vehicle because we had not arrived by 5 PM. Nowhere was this said in the contract. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. YOU DO NOT WANT AUTO TRANSM IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE.

tania Apr 21st, 2002 10:29 AM

We have rented through Europcar twice, once in Nice and once in Paris through Holidau house Travel. <BR><BR>Good prices in Canadian dollars. <BR><BR>A word to the wise: In Nice, they gave away our auto transmission vehicle because we had not arrived by 5 PM. Nowhere was this said in the contract. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. YOU DO NOT WANT AUTO TRANSM IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE. The hills and mountains.

Ron Apr 21st, 2002 11:10 AM

We use Europcar on our annual trips and have always been satisfied with the service. We make our reservations directly.

xxx Apr 21st, 2002 01:17 PM

I'm curious. What is it about southern France that makes it inappropriate for an automatic transmission?

victor more Apr 21st, 2002 01:36 PM

I traveled extensively in Europe on a LEASED car fro Europe by car (europebycar.com) and they were great!! I understand they have rentaqls also nd they will translate your license for you for about US$9.oo<BR>I drove for about 9000 miles NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.

Sherry Apr 21st, 2002 02:36 PM

Barb. We rented from Europcar (through Auto Europe) in NIce last year. AND I drove all over the Cote do Azur with an automatic and no problems even hill towns. No problems with Europcar, either.<BR>Their only concern was that we not take the car out of France, specifically to ITaly.<BR>I also rented with Europcar in Spain.

Judy Apr 21st, 2002 02:47 PM

We rented from Europcar in Paris last year with no problems and have reserved a car in Nice this year. We were actually surprised at the lack of difficulty dealing with them.

Ron Apr 21st, 2002 05:26 PM

Regarding Sherry's answer-- we have a Europcar reservation to pick up a car in Paris and turn it to Milan, so this is not a problem.

Sherry Apr 21st, 2002 07:15 PM

Hi Ron. We didn't intend to take the car into Italy. I just thought the woman at the counter was over concerned if I was going to do so. Maybe it was just her manner. But I suppose she might be afraid that we were going to do it without telling them. <BR>It also could be that it was because we did not take their insurance. I used my credit card coverage. So maybe that is why she gave me that impression.

StCirq Apr 21st, 2002 07:21 PM

I ALWAYS use AutoEurope, and nine times out of ten, their affiliate is Europcar. I've tried contracting directly with Europcar, but they can never get me the great deals AutoEurope can. In fact, most times when I show up in Perigueux to pick up my car from the Europcar affiliate that AutoEurope uses there, they look at the price and tell me what a great deal I've gotten! In ever take the extra insurance, since I'm covered on my gold Mastercard. And I usually pay about $23 a day for a full rental of a mid-sized car that takes diesel fuel (which I love because it keeps my fuel prices down).

Christina Apr 22nd, 2002 12:13 PM

I've used Europcar in Provence, but as with others, it was through Autoeurope as the broker. I would be real sure to compare prices to make sure they include the same things (same insurance and other fees), because that is surprising that you'd get it cheaper directly since Autoeurope uses them. Anything can happen, though.<BR><BR>I rented a car with AT in southern France and loved it, and can't imagine why you shouldn't. I think even if you can drive standard, an automatic makes for a more relaxing vacation when you are driving in a strange area and on perhaps difficult roads, and a foreign language. I read French so that was no problem, but customs are different, signs, etc. The automatic I got was different than in US (technical name for the kind of transmission which we don't have in US, you still need to shift by hand but don't need a clutch, so it's much easier) and got very good mileage. I think most places may give away the kind of car you reserve if you arrive late and don't tell them.