Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris-can we do this in the afternoon/evening?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Patti Suttle

Hi everyone! We are within the "4 month mark" to our big trip and we are getting excited!! I am trying to make a few plans and need your help. <BR>On our first day to Paris I wanted to know if this would work out time wise. <BR> <BR>Arrive in Paris (via Eurostar) <BR>Metro to Hotel Muguet in the 7th <BR>Walk to Rue Cler and look around and sample foods! <BR>Walk to Eiffel Tower (prob. not go to top at this point) <BR>Walk to Champs Elysees/Arch de Triomphe <BR>Walk/metro back to Hotel <BR>Get ready for dinner-about 8:00pm? <BR>Do you think we can do all this from about 2:00pm on? (I really have no idea how long it will take to walk/metro to these areas and if we would have time to see the Eiffel tower, take some pictures and also, get to "take it all in" and enjoy it for a while, then do the same at the Arch etc. <BR>Thanks for any help. <BR>Patti Suttle

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:35 AM
janice

Dear Patti, <BR>It might be a little tight, but I think you can do it. Rue Cler slows down a little bit in the afternoon - the height of the market is in the morning, but there's still plenty to see in the afternoon. Most of what you want to do is pretty close together (at least by my ambitious walking standards) and if the weather's nice and your flight is on time you will be okay. You may want to make sure that you have a little cab fare tucked away after you've been to the Champs Elysee/Arch - in case you're wiped out. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:41 AM
StCirq

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. It will only take you abnout 10 minutes from rue Cler to the Tour Eiffel. From there it's a longer walk over to the Arc de Triomphe, but not bad. By the time you've walked the length of the Champs Elysées you may want to jump on the métro, but even if you make a circuit and cross back over the river behind the louvre and meander home on the Left Bank, you can do it all in 3-4 hours. If you get tired, sit at a café!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:18 PM
mbb

Patti <BR>We are right with you during the same time frame - mid June! We also have reservations at Muget. I had a terrible time choosing a hotel so I hope it is nice. I can hardly wait either.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:36 AM
Beth

I'm also going to be at the Muguet in early June -- I'm starting to get really excited about the trip.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Patti Suttle

Mbb and Beth <BR> <BR>We are leaving June 21 for Ireland, July 2 for London and July 5-9 Paris-so I won't be there at the same time as you- If you are back before June 21 would you post your opinions of the Hotel Muguet? Let us know about your trip while you are at it! There are far too few "trip reports" here IMHO. <BR>I am really excited too! 6th trip to Ireland, 4th to London but FIRST to Paris!! <BR>Also, thank you so much for the info. <BR>to Janice and StCirq!! Your replies are just what I needed to hear! <BR>~Patti

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Beth

Yes, I'll be happy to post a trip report -- I agree that I wish there were more of those on the bulletin board, as they often contain the most useful information. I'll be back just before the 21st, so hopefully it will be of some help to you.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Jayelle

Your plan sounds good with exception of trying to walk to the Champs Elysees. My opinion is that its a little too far for the time that you have. If you want to go there on your first afternoon, I'd suggest taking the metro both to and from. Otherwise, you'll be wiped out by dinner time.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Pat

Are you on a vacation or in a race? How long are you going to be in Paris? Relax, what's the hurry!!!!! Sounds like it's your first time in Paris. Chill, do what you can do and just soak up the atmosphere. It's a very special place.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Sue

Hi, Patti! I don't think you're too ambitious, especially since you include a possible metro back. As for the Champs E. being too far, in the 80s we were with students on a bateau mouche and I could hear a roar from the boat. I remembered that France was playing for the European soccer championship in Paris that night, so I put 2+2 together and hustled the kids up to the Champs E, where celebrations galore were going on and the street was full of people, not cars. We made it in no time, and the kids were just amazed that I knew that was happening. (Point being, it's easy to walk up there from the Pont d'Alma.)

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:07 PM
mbb

Patti <BR>We are also going to England, Germany, Italy and Spain and won't be back until July 5th. I will post however when I return.