Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which section of Lisbon the best to stay in and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Neek

It seems everyone has an idea about which is the best location in Lisbon to stay? A lot of the hotels that are being recommended seem to be in the Baixa area. Some have said this is too far removed. A lot of other hotels seem to be in the area that my guide book refers to as "Rotunda" near the Parque Eduardo VII. <BR><BR>One person said that they stayed in a hotel in the business area but as they had no business to conduct it didn't do much for them. <BR><BR>Taking the trolleys seems to be the best way to get around and I imagine trolleys must be convenient to both areas.<BR> <BR>It would be nice to stay where there are lots of restaurants and "walk around" things to see and of course where it's safe to walk around. <BR> <BR>Which area do you think is best?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Georgie

I love the Baixa. It is quaint and romantic and everythng you could want. Nothing more exciting than staying in a place with such an "old world" view. Too far remove...I say not. We stayed in the Mundial and it was wonderful.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:41 PM
rebecca

Neek; I could be wrong here but "too far removed" from what. The things to see in Lisboa are a bit spread out, IMO. The Baixa, to my way of thinking, is quite crowded but interesting. We stayed at the Hotel Brittania (they have a car park under the hotel)and although a bit off the beaten path, I liked it very much. We walked everywhere or took the trolley. Whatever you do, DO NOT DRIVE IN LISBOA!!!! I was there last year and am amazed that I am still not driving around in circles trying to find my way. Good Luck.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Viv

I recently stayed in the Sheraton near Marques de Pombal and Parque Eduardo VII. I thought it was a great hotel, but the location was a little far removed. We had to take a taxi at the start and end of every day (although, taxis in Lisbon were so cheap we really couldn't complain). The Baixa would work out better for you since you'll be in walking distance to all the major trolley lines and elevadores.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:00 AM
GGinSF

The Baixa is very central, in a little valley between the hill of the Bairro Alto on one side and the Alfalma on the other. I stayed in the Bairro Alto, which has lots of restaurants, bars, etc. but I found to be a little run down in places (fine restaurants but my hotel's street was less than ideal). The Baixa is much more clean and appealing as far as a place to stay. Where ever you stay you should be prepared to do some hiking up stairs, or take trams or funuculars/elevators.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:06 PM
clara

I lived in Lisbon for several years. When I first moved there I stayed in two hotels while finding an apartment and having it repainted. The first I stayed in was Hotel Florescente- it was a good hotel although I had a terrible room and it was booked solid so I couldn't change. I moved up to Pensao Globo in Bairo Alto because I felt like that area had more character- Baixa always seemed filled with tourists only after work hours. Although there are some great restaurants there, there are also fantastic places to eat in Bairro Alto. Some of it is a bit run down, but all of it has real life. Whenever I go back to Lisbon I always stay up in the area near Bairo Alto or Rato. I would never stay near Parque as it seems too "business travel" to interest me. There's not a lot to do there at night and no major sights beyond the Parque.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Gilda

I just came back from Lisbon. I stayed at the Avenida Palace, just across the street from Rossio, and it was great. This hotel is right in the heart of the city and within walking distance from many of the major attractions. If you are not driving, it really makes a difference where you stay.