Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris busy in Sept? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-busy-in-sept-686206/)

McCooper Mar 8th, 2007 04:00 PM

Paris busy in Sept?

I have been looking for hotels in Paris the first two weeks in September 2007, and notice a lot are already sold out. Is there a big event/events going on in Paris in early Sept? I have done a bit of searching but haven't been able to find out. Thanks for any help.

lmlweb Mar 8th, 2007 05:18 PM

it is still tourist high season. I think the high season goes on until end of September.

Pausanias Mar 8th, 2007 05:24 PM

Last year there was a fashion show in September.

robjame Mar 8th, 2007 05:27 PM

This year there is Rugby World cup

Peteralan Mar 8th, 2007 05:27 PM

Yep Pret a porter fashion shows are on in September and accommodation can sometimes be tight. Good luck!

McCooper Mar 9th, 2007 03:02 AM

Thanks very much - mystery solved!

kerouac Mar 9th, 2007 03:08 AM

After a 3-month lull, trade shows and conventions totally fill the hotels in September and October. You can still find rooms without too much difficulty in the 1-star hotels during those months.

Rastaguytoday Mar 9th, 2007 07:08 PM

Check out two web sites that will help you. www.google.fr (yes, the French version of google) and you will get 5-10 times amount of hotel hits and most hotels have an English translation.

www.venere.com is also helpful, though I just use this site to see comments and then book with the hotel directly.

In France, August is a low season and September begins high season again.

Stay on the left bank. I'm a fan of something near St. Germain.

gypsy2_25 Mar 9th, 2007 07:18 PM

Why do you say "stay on the left bank"? That's the second time I've heard that...and I'm going to stay on the right this September. You worry me...

Girlspytravel Mar 9th, 2007 07:26 PM

McC-September is the highest of the high season in Paris-this past September, I decided to extend my stay, and not only could I not stay at my residence/hotel, there was not one single hotel room in the city-all the way out to the airport-for one of those nights. Everything was sold out. On the weekend it changed, but the problem during the week is that there are, in addition to the mass tourist rush during this period, a great number of trade fairs/conventions going on in the city. The weekends are okay for the hotel situation, but during the week all the rooms are taken.

If you are planning on Paris in September, you better book your hotel room as far in advance as possible, if you want a hotel room of choice.

Sep

Travelnut Mar 9th, 2007 07:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with staying on the Right Bank. After all, that is where you find "le Marais", Opera Garnier, Canal St Martin, Place des Vosges and so on.

Rastaguytoday Mar 9th, 2007 08:29 PM

gypsy2_25

I've stayed on the right bank for business. It tends to get 'empty' east of the Champs. If there are specific areas then that might be OK, but not for me.

St. Germain (in the 6th) is my favorite because it's pretty central to many attractions. Luxemboug Gardens, Notre, d'Orsey, ATMs on St. Germain.

Also good metro connections.

Lots of restaurants, some good some bad; lots of people and some good shops.

Your choice.

McCooper Mar 10th, 2007 06:04 AM

Thanks sooo much. I am so glad I asked this question - I had no idea Sept was so busy in Paris. Since my last post I have found a number of available hotel options, but I am not sure now that we want to go in September, if it means that everything will be very busy and overcrowded. I too love the St Germain area - we stayed there when we visited before and rushed around doing all the touristy things. Our idea this time was to go back, stay in that area and just soak up Paris, sit in cafes etc.m, ease into our holiday for a few days before we head on to London for a week and then Scotland for another week.
Thanks

ira Mar 10th, 2007 07:47 AM

Hi McC,

> I am not sure now that we want to go in September, if it means that everything will be very busy and overcrowded.<

Paris is a major (if not THE major) world-class city.

It is never empty.

Sept is a very good time to go.

((I))

happytotravel Mar 10th, 2007 08:09 AM

Hi, we are going in September this year, and also had a hard time finding hotels,(I found the very popular good value hotels to be booked, but I found some more expensive ones to have rooms, I also found more available in St. Germain, and close to nothing in the Marais). We went in late October last year and Paris was packed, so I would find it hard to believe its going to be any more crowded. I don't think its a problem for just soaking up the culture, so to speak.

StCirq Mar 10th, 2007 09:15 AM

McCooper: As a tourist you won't even notice any difference in how "busy" Paris is in September. It's a big, busy city at all times of the year and conventions, etc., won't affect you at all. Nothing will be any more "overcrowded" than usual.