Reload this Page >

Paris-Burgundy-Annecy/Alps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Janet

My fiance and I are planning to honeymoon in France this August. We have a little over two weeks. I'm looking for some feedback or suggestions on the following interary: <BR> <BR>- 4 nights in Paris <BR>- 4 nights in Annecy <BR>- 3 nights in Chamonnix <BR>- 4 nights in Burgnudy Area. <BR>(Annecy is for relaxing, Chamonnix for hiking, and Burgundy for wine tasting etc). We're renting a car on our way out of Paris. Nice stops and hotel suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks. Janet

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Elias

If I might be so bold, non! Burgundy and the Haute Savoie, done right, should be a trip onto itself. Spend 5 days in Paris. TGV to Geneve. Tour this lovely Suisse city and walk along lac Leman. Book a hotel in Annecy, a stunning, canal-filled town on Lac Annecy. Use this as your base. Visit Megeve, Chamonix, Evian-les-Bains, Yvoire (stunning little medieval town), Chambery, The Chartreuse, Aix-Les-Bains <BR>and spend one day on the lac on a steamer..have lunch in Taillores. <BR>Save Burgundy for the vendage in the Fall. <BR>Bonne Chance!

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Rex

Ever been to France before? to Europe before? speak any French? <BR> <BR>Not that the answers to these questions matter all that much. I think your itinerary looks sensible, perhaps borderline ambitious if you are inexperienced travelers in France. But what better time to be ambitious than at the beginning of your new life together in marriage? <BR> <BR>I recommend a celebratory dinner at l'Abbaye in Talloires, about 20-30 miniutes south of Annecy. <BR> <BR>Congratulations... <BR> <BR>And best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Janet

Rex: In answer to your questions: we've both been to France (train travelled) - Paris, Provence, Langedoc & (briefly Nice) - about 2 weeks in total time. Both have spent several months in Europe on different trips. I speak passable French. The main reason for my post is that we don't want to be too ambitious, but would rather keep a relaxing (but not too slow) a pace. But want some variety and to see a new region or two. <BR> <BR>What do you think of 10 days in Annecy/Alps as Elias suggested? <BR> <BR>Thanks again - additional thoughts would be great! Janet

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:03 AM
martha python

4 nights in Annecy seems like one too many, to me. Where you move it is your call (sorry, I guess you knew that, huh?)--I'd say Burgundy or Paris, but then I like wine and museums better than hiking. An extra day in Chamonix might be a useful buffer against bad weather-- the longer you're there, the better your chances of having a perfect day to be out and about. <BR>There's plenty to see and do in Burgundy sans vendage. <BR>And one more vote for a meal in Talloires. The dining room at the Hotel de L'Abbaye has a tasting menu that will leave you fat and happy. The restaurant next to the Hotel le Cep in Beaune (sorry, can't remember the name) does too. <BR>If you go into Dijon (good museum and some interesting buildings), have lunch at the Sauvage, 64 rue Monge (picture at <BR>http://www.ot-dijon.fr/hotel-sauvage.html <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Rex

Given what you've told me, I would NOT give up Burgundy to stay the whole time in Annecy/Alps. <BR> <BR>Lucky couple! No chance you're interested in polygamy, is there? (just kidding). <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Fred

In addition to hitting the individual wineries, there are a couple of good tasting places to sample various wines of the regions. <BR>In Beaune, the Tourist Office has "Safari" van tours of the vineyards that last about two and a half hours, three a day. Do not miss the Marche aux Vins <BR>In Beaune itself, go to the Marche aux Vins - fun wine tasting. <BR>Also be sure to visit the Hospice in Beaune. <BR>One of the best wine tasting places is Le Caveau de Chassagne-Montrachet <BR>Chassagne-Montrachet <BR>Take N6 to D113A <BR>tel: 80-21-38-13 <BR>fax: 80-21-35-81 <BR>They have tastings by the glass of all wines from the area, not just one winery. <BR> <BR>In the Beaujolais area further south: <BR>Le Hameau en Beaujolais (Deboeuf's) <BR>LaGare <BR>71570 Romaneche-Thorins <BR>Gives tour of how wines are made, history, soil, tasting, etc. <BR>Off the A-6, near Lyon. For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]