Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris - Auguste Renoir (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-auguste-renoir-255350/)

Salli Sep 2nd, 2002 08:12 PM

Paris - Auguste Renoir

Plan to visit the Louvre and D'Orsay...<BR>Does anyone know of any other museums that<BR>have displays of Renoir's works? He is a<BR>special favorite of mine and I would hate to<BR>miss out on any that are in (or near)Paris!<BR>Thanks for your help...<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Christina Sep 3rd, 2002 09:55 AM

I think those are the main museums that would have his works. I believe the Marmottan also has a few--they were friends, you know (Renoir and Monet), so Monet had some of his works (the portrait of his wife may be there).

salli Sep 3rd, 2002 10:04 AM

Thanks Christina!

Carol Sep 3rd, 2002 10:19 AM

You will certainly see major works at the Louvre and D'Orsay, two of the most fabulous museums in the world.<BR><BR>However, depending on where you live or will be visiting in the future, there is a wonderful collection of impressionist art, including major Renoirs, at the Sterling Clark Museum in Williamstown, Massachusetts....if ever you are in the area.<BR><BR>

StCirq Sep 3rd, 2002 12:29 PM

The Mus&eacute;e du Petit Palais has some Renoirs. As does the Mus&eacute;e Marmottan.<BR><BR>So does the Orangerie, but alas that is closed at present.

topper Sep 3rd, 2002 05:49 PM

Salli Sep 3rd, 2002 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions...I knew that the Musee de l'Orangerie was closed (such a disappointment. However, I thought I also read that the Mesee du Peitit palais was also closed. Does anyone<BR>know if this is true?<BR>Thanks again everyone!

anon Sep 4th, 2002 06:03 AM

Yes, the Petit Palais is closed for renovation.

BTilke Sep 4th, 2002 06:14 AM

Salli, while you're in Paris, have lunch at Au Petit Riche on 25 rue le Peletier in the 9th arrondissement. This restaurant was a favorite hangout of many Impressionists, including Renoir, and still has a 19th century Parisian ambience (the food is a little fresher, of course). It's very much open and not expensive. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Giovanna Sep 4th, 2002 07:01 AM

Salli: Since Renoir is a favorite of yours, it would be lovely if you could visit Les Collettes, the estate where he spent his last years, in Cagnes-sur-Mer. We had planned to visit on our trip in the South of France last year, but sadly time didn't allow. We had visited Giverny and Monet's house and gardens on a previous trip and absolutely loved it. As noted above, Renoir and Monet were friends, and we thought it would be perfect to visit Renoir's house and gardens. Maybe someday!

Diane Sep 4th, 2002 07:24 AM

I'm lucky to live near enough to DC to visit the National Gallery's Impressionists collection from time to time. There are some lucious Renoirs here, too. You will find the D'Orsay to be simply divine. If I could go back in time, I'd want to be a friend of Renoir's. His people always look so happy and in love.

Salli Sep 5th, 2002 09:08 AM

Merci everyone!<BR>I have seen some of Renoir's works in the<BR>Boston museum and in the Smithsonian.<BR>I agree with Diane...his people do usually look very happy and content with<BR>life.

Robdaddy Sep 5th, 2002 11:59 AM

While in Paris, you will of course, visit the Louvre...but you will see no Renoirs there, nor works by any of his contemporaries.<BR><BR>The Louvre collection ranges from antiquity up through about 1850. The other museums already mentioned will have the "new" stuff.<BR><BR>Have a great and safe time. Get drunk on Paris. I'm envious.

Beth Sep 5th, 2002 12:22 PM

http://www.realfrance.com/rt/artfourn.htm is the website for the restaurant where Renoir's Boat Party was painted. My friends had dinner there and raved about it. When they told the staff they were painters, they were given posters of the place. I was exhausted that day and decided not to go - bad move. <BR>

StCirq Sep 5th, 2002 12:31 PM

I had lunch at the Maison Fournaise last November. It should definitely be on your list if you are a Renoir fan. It's the restaurant in the painting "Luncheon of the Boatin Party." <BR><BR>It's a very pretty restaurant. I thought the food was just OK, but the setting was lovely. It's on the Ile des Impressionistes, which is fairly easy to get to on the RER (if you walk in the right direction when you arrive, as I did not).

Salli Sep 5th, 2002 06:52 PM

Thanks to everyone...lots of nice suggestions! Exited about our trip...only 8 more days!

Larry Sep 5th, 2002 08:34 PM

You can see Renoir's Paris house at No. 6 rue de l'Abbreuvoir, near the Lapin Agile in the Montmartre area (it's a few doors down from a bistro called Maison Rouge). Unfortunately, it's not marked as a historic site or anything like that. Also in Montmartre is the Moulin de la Gallette, which was immortalized by Renoir in his painting Bal du Moulin de la Gallette.

topper Sep 9th, 2002 06:07 PM

topping

Helen Sep 9th, 2002 06:26 PM

Back in the States, check out the Barnes Foundation. You'll find "180 Renoir paintings and 69 Cezannes"-quoting from my Frommer's book. Check out the website-www.barnesfoundation.org. Went on a jaunt to Philadelphia this summer and spent the afternoon at the Foundation. Advanced reservations a must. Easy access by bus from downtown Philly.

kk Sep 10th, 2002 01:55 PM

Salli, why don't you email me directly. I have a book borrowed from Howard that may help you. I will look it up when I get home from work soon.