Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Attitude apartment problem (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-attitude-apartment-problem-705865/)

Micheline May 17th, 2007 07:49 AM

Paris Attitude apartment problem

We are leaving June 4th and one month ago rented an apartment in the Marais with Paris Attitude. Now that I have paid Paris Attitude their agency fee I'm supposed to deal with the owners. I've written to them 4 times introducing myself and with requests for bank info and they have never replied. I forwarded these inquiries to Paris Attitude and they gave me the bank info. for wire transfers, etc. After I sent the wire transfer to the owners I wrote Paris Attitude telling them of my concerns since I have heard nothing from the owners and now they are not replying! I did a search on Paris Attitude and it seems ok. but I'm really losing sleep over this. I've tried calling PA and keep getting an answering machine. Am I missing something here?

enzian May 17th, 2007 08:46 AM

I certainly hope that you are not missing an apartment. I have no familiarity with this agency or their procedures, so I am mainly responding to bring your message to the top where it will be seen.

I suggest you keep calling and e-mailing the agency for confirmation. Good luck!

Micheline May 17th, 2007 10:37 AM

Thanks Enzian. I will keep trying.

likeswords May 17th, 2007 11:48 AM

For what it's worth, I suspect that although you are feeling the pressure of time, perhaps the apartment owners are not and are simply taking their time getting back to you. I found that this was the case when I rented through a similar agency - my being in a hurry didn't seem to influence the speed of their responses. Good luck, and keep us posted.

wabashcannonball May 17th, 2007 12:12 PM

I would (politely)think of a few important questions (such as: where do I pick up the key? Who do I call with urgent rental issues? What is the fastest way to reach the rental from the airport?) and request a prompt response from the owner within a set amount of time - i.e. 48 hours or state that you would like a complete refund. I would be nervous too with a complete silence on one end. I would call as well.

Did you pay the full price or only a deposit? .

I'm fairly sure it will work out (as it usually does) but it would be better to know if you're getting messed over BEFORE you get there, y'know?

Christina May 17th, 2007 12:21 PM

I suspect likeswords is correct. They are in no hurry, so don't see the big rush. Actually, it does seem worse than that since you've written four times. Well, that's why I won't deal with these private owners, and def. won't deal with agencies who take fees and then do nothing for that fee, just say you are on your own with the owner -- but it will probably be okay, they are just flakes and inconsiderate, I guess. Some of these companies like Paris Attitude probably are just an answering machine and computer. However, their website says they belong to the Paris Con & Vistors Bureau and the British/French CC, so things should work out.

I'd be a nervous wreck, also.

PalenQ May 17th, 2007 12:47 PM

and if you complain too much when you do get to the apartment they may not appreciate it!

Micheline May 17th, 2007 01:07 PM

I paid 150 euros to the agency and 270 euros to the owner and I'm to pay the balance to them on arrival plus a security deposit. I'm trying to keep my cool with the agency but I've let them know that this is becoming a grave concern. I've been very careful with the owners and only asked if they've received my deposit and informed them of the time of our flight arrival and questioned whether that's too early and if it is could we drop off our luggage. I'm making an effort to keep my cool with them but I'd like to wring their necks! Thanks for letting me vent.

cocofromdijon May 17th, 2007 01:13 PM

Poor Micheline, what a shame!
We all cross our fingers for you!

wabashcannonball May 17th, 2007 01:20 PM

Ah. I wouldn't worry so much then. They'll want their money as well. I would communicate that you want to plan your first day, and so therefore, how they typically arrange meetup, etc, please correspond very soon!

It can be a real nailbiter though!

grandmere May 17th, 2007 02:09 PM

Today is a holiday in France, Ascension Thursday; that might account for why you're not getting an answer today. But I get the impression you've been trying for longer than today.

Your post reminded me of an incident with a travel agency (and this was a referral from the manager from the hotel manager, whom we'd never met, of course) in Greece to whom I'd given my credit card number, been charged for island trip, etc., and I tried to call them several times for a few days and got no response. I was getting frightened, too, and when I finally reached them, they said it had been Easter week in Greece, and they'd been closed for a few days.

I hope your situation is an "All's well that ends well" case, too.

annhig May 17th, 2007 02:20 PM

hi, micheline

how did you pay the money to the agency and the owner - if by credit card, you may have a come-back if things go wrong. [oops, just realised you paid by wire transfer, so that won't work]

if you don't hear soon, I suggest writing saying that if you don't get a satisfactory reply by [pick a date] you will consider the contract broken by them and will go elsewhere. That should ginger them up!

as suppliers of accommodation, we always try to reply within 24 hours, even if the booking is months in advance - it tends to instill confidence! [which you are understandably lacking].

it could be of course that they are on their hols, but they should make the agency aware of this so that people like you don't start to panic.

hope it all gets sorted,

regards, ann

Micheline May 17th, 2007 02:40 PM

Thank you grandmere. I do feel a little better now that I know today is a holiday. This is the first day that I actually called the agency and left messages for them to please reply. And my email messages were getting a little frantic. Never to the owners though. Coco I wish we were going to your place first. I did use a credit card for the money to the agency. So maybe I can get that back if it doesn't work out. But then I'll have no place to stay in Paris!

Micheline May 18th, 2007 06:06 AM

I heard from Paris Attitude this morning. They said that the owners are expecting us and they give us the code for the apartment. Thank you all for your replies. So relieved!

cocofromdijon May 18th, 2007 06:12 AM

Well done! I'm soooo glad for you!
à bientot and have a great stay in Paris!

NeoPatrick May 18th, 2007 06:21 AM

OK, I know this sounds like locking the barn door after the horses ran away, but let me see if I understand this.

You first paid the agency their 150 euros -- OK, no problem. But then you were supposed to deal directly with the owners to pay the other 270 euros. When they owners NEVER responded to your enquiries, you sent them the money anyway? Sorry, but that never should have happened. If I never heard from the owners how to make the transfer and gotten a few basic questions answered first like "who will meet me", I certainly wouldn't pay them money anyway! As soon as they didn't respond with the "how" to make the payment, you should have contacted Paris Attitude and said you would NOT pay the balance until you heard from the owners. I can't believe after they refused to respond to you, you got the information from the agency and paid them anyway.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

NeoPatrick May 18th, 2007 06:22 AM

Ah, got sidetracked and didn't see your last posts until I posted my response.

But this is good advice for next time -- frankly, I think you lucked out by paying them before you heard from them.

Micheline May 18th, 2007 02:50 PM

I emailed the owners for the bank address and when they did not reply I asked the agency to get the information for me. The agency said that once I sent the $$ the owners would get in touch with me. Well they didn't and they never have so yes NeoPatrick you are right. I was lucky, I think. I still have to meet them when I arrive and they don't appear to be too friendly. I was panicking because even the agency didn't reply to my emails after I sent the owner money. Instructions from PA after I sent the agency fee - 1. Sign and send back to PA the contract. 2. Send $ to the owner by wire transfer. 3. Get in touch with the owner. I'll do it differently next time but I thought if I didn't send the $ the agency would just keep their fee and I would be without an apartment and $150. (ok I'm just sounding more and more stupid).

PalenQ May 18th, 2007 05:57 PM

Personally with such events i would immediately e-mail the agency and ask for a refund of my money - with the very real threat to cancel the credit card charge if i don't get a confirmation. I mean after all your patience to go thru such angst - take the ball and be proactivate - to hell the ramifications. my opinon of course.

jbf1 May 22nd, 2007 02:50 PM

You know, I was just liasing with Paris Attitude for the booking of an apartment. We intend to spend a week in July in Paris.I got a prompt response from them with regard to the cost and process of renting the apartment, but three times now they've completely ignored my requests for parking facilities and questions on how far it was to the nearest metro.I'd be interested to see how you fare.