Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Are boat rides offered in February ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:45 AM
Kau
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,<BR><BR>Some of the Fodorites have suggested a boat ride through the Siene and we are really keen on doing this, but I wasnt sure if these boat rides operate in the month of February. Any thoughts ? <BR><BR>Also, I would appreciate any information (suggested boat company, website, suggested ride, timings, rates, etc) that anyone has on these boat rides. <BR><BR>Please note that we are vegetarians, so we are *not* interested in dinner cruises, which tend to be a rip-off if you dont hog on the food ;-). Our interests are mainly in 2-4 hour boat rides during the day on the Siene.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance !
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:45 AM

The trips on the Seine run all year and take about an hour. Try www.bateaux-mouches.fr, www.bateauxparisiens.com and www.cpn-vpn.com.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:53 AM

Sorry, the last address should be www.vpn-cpn.com.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:29 PM

Kau: We have done the Bateaux Mouches (which leave from the Pont de l'Alma - metro Alma-Marceau I believe)and the Vedettes du Pont-Neuf (which depart from square de vert-galant- metro Pont Neuf). They both run all year, just on a more limited schedule.<BR><BR>We prefer the Vedettes du Pont Neuf ourselves because they are smaller (around 80 passengers vs. around 600). The experience seemed more romantic and intimate than being herded around like a bunch of bovines. Not glitzy. Nice little bar/cafe to have a drink before/after if you like. We like both day and night, but prefer the night cruise. Good value for the money IMO and it gives the ol' feet a much need rest at the end of the day, while still allowing you to experience of the city of lights. <BR><BR>While there are more companies, I don't know that they run in the off season.<BR>Have fun whichever you pick.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM

Looked up material from past trip 2 yrs ago in Feb (surprise valentines present)<BR><BR>re: Vedettes du Pont Neuf<BR>Nov-Mar 10:30a, 11:15a, noon, 2-6:30pm every 45 min (and a couple between 8-10pm for anyone else who might be interested in night times).<BR><BR>Exact times may have changed, but this gives you an idea. Their tel# was<BR>01 53 00 98 98
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM

We are also travelling to Paris the end of this month and had a night boat cruise on our itinerary. The Vedettes du Pont Neuf sounds perfect! <BR>A couple questions...(I know I could probably look this all up, but I appreciate first hand accounts!)<BR>Do the boats have indoor and outdoor seating (in case of bad weather?) Klondike mentioned a bar, is it on the boat (it seems a glass of wine would be appropriate!). Also, is there a tour guide, or is the tour on headsets?<BR>One more thing, Klondike, what is IMO...am I missing out on some lingo?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!<BR>Kristy
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Kristy, when I took the Vedettes du Pont Neuf two years ago, there was indoor seating and a live guide who spoke in English.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:19 AM

The boats don't have a bar. They all have bars on their landing stages so you can buy a drink before or after the trip, but the standard sightseeing trip only lasts an hour or so. It's obviously more economic for them to have one bar at their departure point rather than a bar on each boat.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:22 AM

IMO= In My Opinion
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info!!! Would you all rather take a night or day cruise, or possibly both?
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Kristy<BR>Day vs night is your call.<BR>In the daytime, you can make out some of the landmark buildings, though you are quite a ways below ground level so orienting yourself isn't all that easy.<BR><BR>At night, you have a lovely view of illuminated buildings, but perhaps less ability to distinguish one from the other, if you care about that. I've taken the night ride and liked it.<BR><BR><BR>On a short visit I don't know that I'd plan two trips, but you could play that one by ear.<BR><BR>I also vote for the Vedettes boat rides.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 04:36 PM

We are going on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf around sunset later this month. Recommend getting there 1/2 hour or 1 hour before cruise to ensure a nice seat?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:47 AM

Be sure not to choose a rainy time to go. If you are stuck indoors the windows fog and you can't see anything. Also, when we took the Vedettes du Pont Neuf in the rain the inside smelled strongly of gasoline.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM

I just got back from 5 days in Paris over Valentine's weekend. We took the Vendettes ride because of the colorful live commentary. The ride is lovely and it is nice to sit for a while after walking so much. The inside is cozy and warm, while you can also stand outside if you want a clearer view. Have fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

We just returned from a 5-day Valentine's weekend in Paris and also took the Vedettes du Pont Neuf cruise at sunset. We met a nice couple from Chicago on the cruise. Was that you?<BR><BR>We loved the cruise and commentary. It was comfortable inside the boat, but a little drafty in the seat next to the window. You could walk out on the bow to take pictures. I agree that it would not be advisable to take the cruise on a rainy day.<BR><BR>This is a BYOB cruise (literally). Bring on a bottle of wine, some bread &amp; cheese, and enjoy.