Paris apt or hotel with 2 teenagers?

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris apt or hotel with 2 teenagers?

My husband and I and our two daughters, ages 13 & 15, are going to be in Paris for 3 nights in June. I have considered renting an apt b/c (if they rent for that short of a period) I believe it's typically cheaper than a hotel room (or two) but am wondering if we would be missing out on the hotel experiences of speaking with and getting guidance from the hotel staff, other guests, etc. by being by ourselves in an apt?
Any recommendations for a centrally located hotel or apt that is nice but not exorbitant?
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Hi Traveling Mom,

We stayed at the Hotel Du Lourve last June. We had a corner suite with a connecting room (via the one bathroom) for our two daugthers (ages 10 and 14 at time of travel).

The connecting room was 50% off. The rate included a very yummy hot breakfast in the morning in their resturant. It was great.

Our room over-looked the Lourve itself. We were able to walk every where in the short time we are there.

I just did a quick check and they are still offering the promotion. This is from their website.

Ideal for families requiring two rooms, this package offers a 50% discount on the second room and includes breakfast. This rate is subject to availability, please click the Book Now button to check your desired dates - if already sold out, our booking engine will display the best alternatives.

I booked it via email with the hotel not through the web. I wanted to be sure about the sleeping accomadations etc.

The hotel is what appears to be traditional Paris . We loved it. It has mixed reviews on Trip Advisor.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your time.

Oh and I do rent apartment usually, but we decided for our first time to Paris and not being use to overseas travel (our daughters) to do a hotel for our first stop. We did an apartment in Florence and Rome.

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM

vacationinparis.com...based in New Jersey. They have a large selection of apartments and you pay in dollars. They're easy to deal with. Apartments do have "quiet" clauses. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...I will check them both out.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

UGH...the Hotel du Louvre is booked for the Famly Package and a single room (King) is 550 Euros a night!
Oh my, this is my firt hotel booking attempt and I'm experiencing sticker shock!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM

550 Euro a night? Ridiculous. Look for an apartment. At least with an apartment, you won't have to eat all of your meals out. Food is expensive in Paris. You can go to the bakeries, markets, etc and get food and then fix up meals in the apartment and take lunches with you when you go out to sightsee. You can also eat whatever you want for breakfast if you have an apartment...and not just bread/croissant and jam basically. I always pack some aluminum foil and ziplock bags when I travel. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM

The Hotel Relais Bosquet has a one-bedroom apartment that sleeps 4 for around 200 euros a night, with a kitchen and washer/dryer, etc.

www.hotel-paris-bosquet.com
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM

550 Euros per nite! I was wondering why dawnnoelm didn't include the price.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM

LOL - I did not intentionally not include the price - Traveling Mom did not include her budget so I am not going to try to figure out what it is/was. Simpley sharing where we stayed last year and that we were happy with it. The way I looked at it was it was two hotel rooms including breakfast.

And I did pay a little less I believe last summer.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM

ttm: I had a feeling this would be your thread.

Since you are now staying a little longer in Paris, an apartment becomes a more viable option.

3 of us stayed in the #10 apartment at rentparis.com and we loved it. There is only one bathroom, but it is absolutely huge, with a tub and a separate shower.

There is also a full laundry room, with washer and dryer, and a sink and mirror.

Great location, too.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - i'll check out The Hotel Relais Bosquet and #10 rentparis.
I knew Paris was expensive but $750 a night for a single room seems a bit over the top. I don't really consider myself too budget minded but then again...
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM

travelin Mom - it is not a single room - I completely understand your point, but it is two rooms, with one being very large by European standards, a suite. You can most definately find less expensive and perfectly grand accomadations but I was simply sharing our experience.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM

adding more - not sure how long you are staying in Paris now - Tuscan said a little longer then 3 nights - we are renting this apartment in December of 08 - and someone else on the board has stayed there:
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/66709

I will say in advance that I am not sure on what the nightly rate would be ;-)
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

dawn - it was for a single room - they did not have any of the connecting "family" packages avlble (with the second room included in the rate). Thanks for the suggestion - would have been good had their been availability.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Dawn - checked out the listing - looks beautiful but booked the whole month of June. Checked out the others listed and there are some possibilities. Thanks. Will check out VRBO.com listings too! thx
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM

well, just so you know I am not nuts, I would not pay that for one room either and DEFINATELY not at that hotel for one night. I was okay with whatever (I am bad about remember what everything cost for that trip) but it was not 750.00 USD ...

That apartment is lovely. Contact the owners - [email protected]
Her name is Shelia - she is a lovely woman and they have purchased another apartment and are completely renovating it. She said it was to be done by June or July - not sure I recall. They are using the same construction company they used on the other apartment. This apartment is in the 4th - and not as large as the other link - but she said it would be very nice. It is 2 bedroom and 2 bath - with a sofa bed.
She is not currently advertising but said it was okay for me to mention it.
You trip in June might be too close for her to book - I think she might be worried about it not being ready - but send her an email - you never know.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I know there are advantages to an apartment, but you may also be able to get a reasonable room at a Novotel. Novotel typically allows two children under 16 for free, although you have to check each individual hotel's policies.

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM

If you rent an apartment, pay close attention to sleeping arrangments. Frankly a sofa bed is often counted as a bed for two, and I don't know many how consider them comfy, and especially when shared!
Also, apts most often do NOT have a/c, and in the budget range( and even the more expensive ones) only have ONE bathroom for four of you, yuck.
Tow hotel rooms at 100 euros each may be a better deal.

Check out Hotel Des Mines or Hotel Des Grand Hommes,. Unfortunately you have left it a bit late for the really good deals, and June is of course a VERY busy month.

PS Even if you get a hotel room as opposed to an apt. you can save lots of money by buying pop and yogurts and storing in mini fridge in room. Sodas can easily be up to 5 euros each in a restaurant, and they are small, so if you let your daughters order 2 each you have just spent more on their drinks then their dinners.!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:34 AM

If this is your first visit, I think a hotel would be best. You'll have some guidance from the front desk, and won't miss out on the quintessential Parisian experience- trying out many of the tiny but wonderful cafes in your neighborhood.

Why not try HOTEL BONAPARTE, Ira's fav? It's cheap, well-located, and gets very good reviews on this forum, anyway! Haven't checked it out on tripadvisor.

You could also try one of my favorites, HOTEL DE LA FLEURIE, which offers family accomodations. But my guess is that those are booked and that the hotel could be quite pricey for June.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We are also going to paris for three nights in june with our daughters the same age! We originally booked the Hotel Claude Bernard which had a family room that slept 4. The price was reasonable although I can't remember what it was. It is a three star hotel and breakfast was included in the rate. Instead, we used Hilton points and have two free nights at the Hilton and one night we have to pay for. So, you may want to check out the Hotel claude bernard and see if they have the family rooms still available. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -