Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris apt may not be available...please help me scramble for another choice!

Old May 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, all~

I just found out that my apartment on Rue de la Huchette in the Latin Quarter may not be available (while in the process of waiting for the contract, were notified by the agency that the owner received a request to rent it for the entire month, which unfortunately trumps our request for 6 nights). Anyway, I'm bleary-eyed from being online for the past 3 days and could really use your help to narrow down my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th choices...

NOTE: Can anyone tell me why the weblinks appear twice when I type them in once? I've also copy/pasted and had the same issue...only the second link actually takes you to the site.

7th Arr. St Germain

http://www.my-apartment-in-paris.com...dio/ref|S06094
Rue Dauphine
720 Euros or $908 US
AVAILABLE…great location (street leads to Pont Neuf), spacious and very modern furnishings (white/black/red color scheme), NO WASHER

http://www.ahparis.com/photos.asp?la...198&id_apt=148
Rue de Bellechasse
660 Euros or $818 US
NOTES: good location behind Musee d’Orsay and west of Latin Quarter, 3 ˝ blocks from Seine across from Tuileries, comfortably furnished

4th Arr. MARAIS

http://www.ahparis.com/payment.asp?id_renter=7199
Rue Froissart
400 Euros or $504
NOTES: very nice studio in modern building, ˝ block from Metro, not very close to the sights, NO WASHER

http://www.ahparis.com/photos.asp?la...201&id_apt=173
Rue Debelleyme
600 Euros or $756 US
AVAILABLE (per agency)…nicely furnished, comfy, not very close to sights

We are arriving on May 18th so I need to set up arrangements very quickly...I would appreciate any feedback on the neighborhoods that you could offer!

Thank you so much!

Christina
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM

Wow - you're leaving in 16 days and still pondering?!

Anyway, I like the first one the best.

Best of luck and make a decision.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:29 AM

Stayed in an apt near the 2nd, close to the d'Orsay. I loved the location, the apt looks cute. Its a very upscale area, much quieter than the other areas. Some folks like to walk outside and be in the midst of action at all hrs, not me!
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:47 AM

Travelbug,

Remember--heat rises!!

For that reason, I personally would not consider the apartment on the "Top Floor with Sloped Ceilings" nor the "5th floor Walk-Up"

Hurry and get your reservation confirmed.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:50 AM
Neopolitan

Since you mention Rue de la Huchette, here's a rather large and atmospheric studio that's on Rue St. Severin, very close to the one you may not be able to get. It rents for 741 a week, but I'm not sure if it is available on such short notice. It also has the advantage of being air-conditioned!

http://tinyurl.com/zbvew

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:10 AM

Hmmm, I would eliminate the Rue Froissart one, only because I like the locations of the other ones better (just a persoanl choice). Not sure if you are traveling before or after Paris, but for a 6 day stay is the lack of a washer a deal-breaker? Also, others can speak to the importance of A/C in May, but it seems to me that it wouldn't be a concern until late June through August?

Hope you are able to firm up your plans soon, it's stressful to think you are all set and then find out otherwise!
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

georgine...yes, forgot about the ehat rising thing (but more importantly, didn't catch the fact that the rue Debelleyme studio was a 5th floor walkup!)...ruling that one out...

bardo and hellokittie...right now, the studios on rue Dauphine and rue de Bellechasse are my top choices...thanks for the input!

Neopolitan, thanks for the reco (what a beautiful place and the location is just right!)...e-mailed for availability (or anything else they may have, for that matter)...

Grantop, washer is not a deal-breaker...most importantly is location (prefer nice walking areas near the sites but not against a charming neighborhood a little out of the way)...since I've never stayed in the Marais quarter, will only consider this if the other choices don't pan out...thanks!

Yes, 17 more days and homeless in Paris (still beats staying home in NJ for a week!)~

Christina

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:07 AM
Neopolitan

travelbug, I'm hoping that place is as nice as it looks. We've rented it for 10 days in July, as an effort to save almost half from where we've rented the last two times. Another advantage is that it's on the first floor (US second floor). That one you're looking at on the fifth floor (sixth US?) with no elevator would give me some pause, especially after returning from hours of walking.

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Neopolitan, I absolutely agree...it's sometimes very hard just getting into door of our B&B on the 2nd floor after walking all day and night! I've never stayed anywhere but in the Latin Quarter and just love the neighborhood and it's proximity to, well, everything! I'm such a creature of habit...I'm reluctant to try other neighborhoods (which is probably my loss...maybe this situation will force me into another quarter that I'll love just as much for different reasons)~

Anyway, if I don't firm something up in a couple of days, please look for a post reading something along the lines of "HELP...SEEKING SPACIOUS PARK BENCH FOR 2 IN GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD"

Christina