Paris apartments in the 16th - redux

Aug 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Paris apartments in the 16th - redux

Yes, I know, yet another question on paris apartments - I hope you'll indulge me but I am taking my mother to Paris in early October for her 60th birthday - it will be her first time there (my last visit was 2 months ago but I am already having withdrawal!) I cannot wait to show her this magical city.

My first choice, an apt in the 16th, is booked for the period so I have been considering 2 others, also in the 16th - one is a vrbo apartment (21652) and the other with vacationinparis (ID#92). Is anyone familiar with either of these?

Here are the links
http://www.vrbo.com/21652
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_92.htm

They are both probably a bit more than we need for 2 people, but the terrace/patio of the one on Ave Foch is very appealing - am I being too optimistic to think we might actually get some use of it the second week of October?

Also, my mother is an avid gardener [I on the other hand could probably kill an artificial plant] - will there be any gardens worth visiting that time of year?

Many thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Whiskey
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM

How early October? We are staying at the
http://www.vrbo.com/60877

There are early October dates available, but they may not fit your needs. I'm very excited about this apartment.
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Danna thanks - I looked at the apartment you are renting as well - its lovely but its not available for the full time of our stay.
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:19 AM

They both look nice. I'm pretty familiar with the 16th (where we always stay) and the first one's neighborhood is fairly quiet and residential, but there are cafes, etc. nearby. From the description, the owner sounds a bit...hmmm...controlling. I hope you are up to his/her standards.
The second one also sounds good, but reading the list the amenities, two questions: it says washer, but no dryer. If you think you might be doing any laundry while you're there, better ask. It also says cable TV "coming soon." If you want to watch any English language TV, you will probably need cable or satellite. So ask how soon is soon. If you don't want to catch any news in English, then it won't matter.
(Re the first one, ask if the washer and dryer are separate units or is it a combo unit. And for goodness sake, don't think of spilling even a DROP of anything while you're there!)
I forgot to check, but are both apts served by elevators?
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Have you looked at the parisperfect.com apartments? They are all lovely..you couldn't go wrong with them in any way.
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BTilke - yes I have always stayed in the 16th as well and have never been disappointed - I have actually followed up on the 2 points you raised and am waiting for a reply, although the lack of a dryer wouldn't be a huge deal for me - I tend to bring enough clothes for 3 times the length of my stay.

Gracejoan I did look at some of the parisperfect apartments as well - even though they are not in the 16th I know people on the board have raved about them. However, they require a 1 week min stay and we are only in Paris for 5 nights.
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:13 AM

For the VRBO, I know the area south of there a little better (or towards the Seine) and like it, but I wouldn't consider renting from that person -- he or she sounds like a complete jerk and is very impressed with themself and their designer furniture. Besides, the apt. doesn't look very comfortable to me -- look at that couch, you couldn't even sit back on it because it's just for looks, an iron frame.
Aug 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM

Whiskey, if you do decide to rent the VRBO apartment, please post a report. I've been curious about it for years and have always wondered whether there are any windows on the main floor; I can't see any in the photos.

As for the "controlling' owner, it just seems to me he/she wants renters who will care for a well-loved apartment. If it scares away those who might have a looser attitude, that's probably fine with her/him, and avoids some of the problems complained about in the "Apartment Owners" thread.
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Wow, Christina, that seems a little harsh. Of course the owner is proud of the furniture and the place; that is one of the nicest decorated places I've seen on the internet and obviously shows expense, taste, and care in maintaining it. I agree that the owner would be happy if showing that she's concerned about the upkeep will chase away people who eat on the furniture or are generally careless.

Regarding the comfort of the sofa, that may be true, but realize there is another complete sofa to sit on if you prefer, not to mention two comfortable chairs all in the same area. I'd take any of them over the common idea in Paris that a futon is something worth sitting on.

If one doesn't appreciate a well maintained and very finely furnished apartment then by all means they shouldn't stay there. But for those who do, it also explains why this apartment is quite a bit more expensive than so many places that remind me of my college dorm room.

whiskey, these are two very nice looking apartments and I think you'd be happy in either of them.
Aug 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM

The apartment owner specified that anyone who stays there MUST be "compulsively neat." That goes above and beyond wanting people to take care of the apartment. It makes me think the owner will call out the guards if there's even the tiniest evidence that anyone besides Felix Unger or Niles Crain was breathing there, let alone staying there.
We are careful of the places we stay at, but also don't want to feel like we have to tiptoe around. Doesn't sound relaxing.
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I haven't stayed at either of these, but I'd pick the non-VRBO one because of that owner. I have stayed in one particularly beautiful apt. in Paris and cannot even imagine the agency "speaking to" its clients in that manner. I guess it's different when it's an individual owner, but still.

"...always remember to wipe their feet... and take the key"? Jeez louise. Accidents do happen, after all.

Whichever place you choose, I hope you and your mother have a lovely time in Paris. Good luck.
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM

OK, once again it just shows how different we all are from each other. I consider myself "compulsively neat" when in someone else's NICE apartment and would feel totally comfortable in that very nice one. In fact I'd feel much more comfortable there than in one that showed signs of needing a good cleaning and replacement of worn or slightly broken items. But I know some people actually prefer a bit of wear and tear so they don't feel they have to be so careful. Different strokes for different folks.

Now what I do find funny is when I see an ad that says something "beautifully furnished apartment" and when I see the pictures it looks like a garage sale reject. When someone has a beautifully decorated and designed apartment with wonderful things, I'm not sure why someone would fault them for wanting it treated with the same care they have put into preparing it.

Aug 16th, 2005, 08:04 PM

The VRBO is something I bookmarked long ago.

I feel more comfortable dealing with someone who frankly declares his prejudices and requirements and expectations. Wish I had the courage to be so blunt about myself.

Someone who is fastidious would, one hopes, leave everything in good shape for you.
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies - yes the vrbo owner perhaps has a bit of the "apartment nazi" in him [and just so I don't offend anyone, that's a take on the Seinfeld "soup nazi" - "no apartment for you!!"]. But this does not bother me - the owner has emailed me to respond to some questions and seems fine and as others have said, I'm not going to fault someone for being a fastidious owner; its better than the alternative - and its not like I have to stay with him for the 5 days I think my Mum will be a bit more forgiving! I am leaning towards the vrbo apartment.

Any thoughts on visiting gardens in early October - would Giverny be worth a day trip?
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:51 AM

We wanted to stay in the vrbo apartment during September, but our dates were not available.

I've been in email and telephone contact with the owner Alex, and he sounds like a very nice person who has pride of ownership in his apartment. He has obviously gone to great lengths to make it not only beautiful, but functional and comfortable.

I am very territorial and would find it difficult (read that as impossible) to rent my apartment filled with my personal possessions and well chosen furnishings, to anyone.

I like that he is looking for that type of renter, it assures me that I will be staying in an immaculate, well maintained apartment.

Yes, accidents do happen and as an owner, I am sure that he has had his share, but obviously he accepts them or the unit would not still be on the market.

Go for it Whiskey, and be sure to let us know about the unit in your trip report. Enjoy your stay, and Happy Birthday Mom.

Nina
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I decided on the vrbo apartment and Nina you are right, Alex the owner seems delightful. I will certainly post a report when I am back. I actually owe a report from my May/June trip - I received so much useful information from people on this board prior to going and need to pull together my various scraps of scribbled notes into something sensible

BTilke (or anyone else for that matter), do you have any restaurant sugegstions in the area for a special birthday dinner? I've stayed in the 16th before, but a little closer to the Arc de Triomphe area most recently so I don't know this exact area (Ave Rodin) at all.
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:29 AM

The restaurant in that general area (actually more in the Auteuil section "below" where the VRBO apartment is) I recommend most often is Relais d'Auteuil, a Michelin-starred restaurant on Blvd. Murat near the Porte d'Auteuil metro stop. But it's not exactly in your neighborhood and I don't really think of it as being within walking distance. It's very nice though and definitely off the usual tourist track.
The VRBO owner should be able to recommend someplace. You could also go to Dokhan's up on Ave. Raymond Poincare for a birthday toast in their elegant, chic champagne bar.
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Hi whiskey,

Lovers of the 16th unite!

Do you like Lebanese food? We found a wonderful Lebanese place called "Le Bois de Vent, Fourchette d'Or de la Gastronomie Libanaise" (that's what the business card says), not far the the La Muette metro stop. DH and I love Lebanese food, and this was probably the best we've ever had. They had a special dinner for two, where they'd bring out 4 cold dishes, then 4 hot ones for 42 Euros. It was more food than we could handle and everything was absolutely fantastic. The staff was so welcoming! We were treated like kings.

Have a fabulous time with your mother...what a great place for a mother-daughter trip.

Aug 18th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Oops, meant to say that the Lebanese place probably wouldn't be good for the special birthday dinner, but rather a quiet, in the neighborhood meal.
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Whiskey, I'm so glad that you decided to stay in the VRBO Avenue Rodin apartment. Those of us who would also like to stay there (next trip) will be sharing it with you vicariously. (Hope that one bedroom isn't too crowded with all of us there.)

I'm not too familiar with the 16th, but several years ago we ate at Astrance, 4 r. Beethoven, (Passy Metro), 0l.40.50.84.40. It was a wonderful dining experience. You must book far in advance. You still have about six weeks, so it may still be possible to get reservations. I'm sure the owner Alex will have many recommendations.

What are your trip dates? (so I'll know when to start looking for your trip report).

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Nina

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO