Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Apartment - VacationHomeRentals #19436 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-apartment-vacationhomerentals-19436-a-692188/)

Links13 Mar 29th, 2007 09:18 AM

Paris Apartment - VacationHomeRentals #19436

As the type of person who likes to do her research, I've been working for the past several weeks on finding an apartment to rent in Paris. My husband and I will be spending a week there in August 2007.

We've narrowed down our choices and our top pick is a one bedroom apartment in the 6e at 7 rue des Quatre Vents. We found this apartment on Vacation Home Rentals. It is #19436. The website is a resource for individual owners to post their properties for rental. (http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...oID-19436.html)

However, despite my searching, I've not been able to find a single review. I'm a little nervous about renting from an individual without any references/reviews to back me up. So far the owner has been very helpful and communicative. I have no specific reason to worry other than the fact this will be our first European trip and our first vacation apartment rental.

Does anyone have any information on this apartment, owner, or even neighborhood? Any information and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

gracejoan3 Mar 29th, 2007 09:55 AM

For starters: It does not appear to be air conditioned..........

Links13 Mar 29th, 2007 10:09 AM

True...but that isn't a big problem for us. It'd be nice, but isn't a necessity.

sparks Mar 29th, 2007 10:15 AM

Also, I didn't notice any mention of what floor it is on or an elevator. That can make a difference at the end of a day of walking.

NeoPatrick Mar 29th, 2007 10:22 AM

Next, I'd be curious about the square feet or meters. It appears they can't get back far enough to take much in the way of pictures -- not even one of any seating area. And I get scared when they describe it as "cozy". But is sure has a nice kitchen for such a little place.
Add me to the list who wouldn't rent a place in August without AC. Especially not at $187 a night. I rent a very large atmospheric studio for half that and it has AC.

djkbooks Mar 29th, 2007 10:25 AM

Even though this apartment does not have air conditioning, there are many huge windows and there appears to be much cross ventilation. So long as the curtains are drawn when the sun is shining in, and a fan is provided, you should be fine, unless there's a horrid heat wave during your visit. "Average" high temps for Paris in August are 75.

That you can make all payments with PayPal may be a huge plus.

The location is excellent and the apartment looks very nice.

Got a chuckle "refrigerator (full)" which probably means full sized as opposed to full of food!

NeoPatrick Mar 29th, 2007 11:05 AM

Are we looking at the same apartment? In the pictures I see, there is no evidence of any windows other than the pair of floor to ceiling French style ones in the bedroom. I'm not overly modest, but I don't picture myself lying there on that bed with those doors open at night facing the apartments across the street. Maybe that's just me, but even without any traffic noise, I don't see myself sleeping with those doors open.

Links13 Mar 29th, 2007 11:09 AM

From corresponding with the owner, here is some other info I know.

1. The apartment is located on the second floor. Each floor has only one apartment. (I do not believe there is an elevator, but that shouldn't be a problem - we're young!)

2. The apartment is 62 square meters.

3. There is a shower and a tub. (One of each! I even saw a photo.)

4. It is located between the Luxembourg gardens and the Seine.

5. It has a King sized bed in the bedroom.

NeoPatrick - While I'm okay with a studio (especially if it had AC), my husband is not. For some reason having extra rooms is important to him. But, just in case I can bend his ear...would you be willing to share info about the studio you like?

Thanks!

namaka Mar 29th, 2007 11:15 AM

When in Aug are you going? I'll be there from the 22-30 and the apt we are renting also has a king sized bed and AC.

If you are interested-

http://bienvenueaparis.com/apt-bourg.htm

amwosu Mar 29th, 2007 11:25 AM

I have no experience with the apartment but I like that it has a king sized bed (I think if you've gotten used to one at home it is tougher to sleep on a smaller bed on vacation). I also like that it has a tub, shower and washer and dryer.

Have you gone to www.pagesjaunes.fr and plugged in the address so you can take a photo tour down the street to see what the neighborhood looks like? I tried but I'm having difficulty with the pics.

Christina Mar 29th, 2007 12:35 PM

It looks pretty good to me as far as Paris vacation apts. go in that expensive area. NOt having AC is very common, so doesn't surprise me, and I think it looks fine otherwise. NO elevator wouldn't bother me at that floor and 62 m2 is a pretty good size for a one-bedroom apt in Paris (or for vacation rental).

Maybe Patrick is looking at another one or we have the rooms mixed up, but I see windows in both the living room area and the bedroom, and the double French windows are in the living room, not the bedroom (as far as I interpret it, they are next to a small sofa, which is a seating area which Patrick says isn't shown. Maybe he didn't see that photo, it's the last one. The second to last one also shows that room and sofa, but not the windows. The one in the bedroom isn't a pair and not floor to ceiling, as far as I see.

toulouse Mar 29th, 2007 12:56 PM

My husband and I have stayed in this general neighborhood many times. Looking at the map, you are very close to Boulevard Saint Germain, St. Sulpice, the Seine, etc. You're also very close to Carr. de L'Odeon. That will mean a lot of street traffic/noise. Even with that, you should really enjoy the area. We stay in that neighborhood because we enjoy the Luxembourg Garden so much. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

NeoPatrick Mar 29th, 2007 01:06 PM

Is my face red? One would think I've never used the computer before. I looked at the site at length, and thought I had seen ALL the pictures -- all four that are shown, but never noticed a slide bar to move over and see even more. OK, the place is quite spacious -- 62 sq. meters is great, and now I see the very nice looking living room. And I do love the area.

Since you asked, here's the studio I'm renting. It is a bit more "atmospheric" but not as upscale as the one you're looking at. Although it does have a king sized bed (or rather two full width twins together) and AC.

http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...numProduit=114

Christina Mar 29th, 2007 02:40 PM

We all do that sometimes, I find those slide bar things confusing, also, and sometimes I don't even notice them.

Sue3953 Mar 29th, 2007 03:08 PM

This apartment looks lovely, the neighborhood is super..I would grab it.

Links13 Mar 30th, 2007 06:00 AM

NeoPatrick - Had I only seen those four pictures, I would have been asking the same questions you did! Technology can be so helpful, but so troublesome too. Thanks for the info on the studio. I'll see how that flies.

Thanks to all of you on your comments about the neighborhood/area. Since this is our first trip, it's helpful to have these reassurances.

beaupeep Mar 30th, 2007 07:21 AM

I've stayed in the Hotel Quatre Vents on this street many, many times and absolutely love the neighborhood. At the end of the street is the insanely wonderful bakery, Gerard Mulot. You are a block from Blvd St Germain and around the corner from the Odeon cinema. There is a metro stop about a 2 minute walk away (Odeon). There are lots of lovely brasseries, restaurants, etc., and you are within walking distance of the Seine.

I would rent it and if you find it is really hot go buy a cheap fan at BHV. It looks lovely!

emeybee May 12th, 2007 11:51 PM

I stayed in this apartment for a week last December. It was great, just as the pictures describe. If you have any specific questions you can let me know.

Links13 May 14th, 2007 05:39 AM

emeybee-
Thank you so much for responding to this post! I'm so pleased to hear from someone who has stayed here previously.

I do have a few questions:

1. How was the noise level on the street? We plan to have the windows open most of the time for the air since it will be August and we'll need some circulation.

2. Did you find the kitchen adequately stocked with the necessary cooking tools? Anything you wish you would have had?

3. Was it clean?

4. How was your experience with the owners? They seem incredibly helpful via email.

5. It sounds like the neighborhood is nice. Any suggestions for food, drink, shopping?

Thank you so much! It's so wonderful of you to touch base and offer your help!

yeadonite May 22nd, 2007 07:28 AM

Is heat ever a factor for you? It will be 85 this week and it is only May. They are predictiong a very warm summer.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...57C0A9619C8B63