Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris apartment rental contract (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-apartment-rental-contract-507526/)

marciabb Feb 27th, 2005 07:08 AM

Paris apartment rental contract

I'm wondering what should be included in a contract for renting an apartment. Any ideas?

Scarlett Feb 27th, 2005 07:11 AM

Have you gotten yours yet from the vrbo people?
We paid in full, since we booked so close to time of being there.
We pay a deposit which comes back right after we leave.
We do not pay any utilites, if we lose the keys they cost a LOT.
We had to pay in Euros so if you have a US owner, that will be nice.
Can't think of what else was included.

marciabb Feb 27th, 2005 07:21 AM

Hey Scarlett,

Nope, we haven't gotten ours yet. That's why I'm asking. We will pay a deposit, but they haven't told us what it takes to get the money back. that's one thing I want in writing. mostly, though, I'm wondering if you know the wording that keeps us from sending them our money and them not being who they've said they are and them having our money and us having no apartment. I can see why they can't send the keys without money, but I'd hate to send money and end up without an apartment. Being cautious about online scams I guess...

Scarlett Feb 27th, 2005 07:22 AM

Write to me at [email protected], I will tell you Everything :D

Patrick Feb 27th, 2005 08:28 AM

"mostly, though, I'm wondering if you know the wording that keeps us from sending them our money and them not being who they've said they are and them having our money and us having no apartment."

Sadly I don't think there is such a thing. What you seem to be saying is you want to know clear wording in a contract in the event that the people you are dealing with aren't legit and don't really have an apartment for you? The bottom line is -- if they are crooks and aren't legit, then it really doesn't make any difference what the contract says because it isn't worth the paper it's printed on anyway.
A firm like VRBO has pretty well weeded out such possibilities though.

Christina Feb 27th, 2005 08:44 AM

yeah, Patrick has it right. Crooks are not going to write a contract saying -- if we are frauds and taking your money without giving you an apartment, we will give it back, no questions asked, with interest. It would always be illegal to defraud someone, you don't need the contract to say that.

I think the most important things are amount of deposit and rent, condition and time period for refund of deposit, and what the rental fee includes (ie, along the line of utilities or not, phone or electricity charges, etc.). It should also state time you are allowed to get in and time you must vacate.

I think the contracts I've had do specify form of payment, and any exchange rate if they are willing to accept payment in USD. I've only dealt with professional firms, not private owners, though.

marciabb Feb 27th, 2005 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll just call the owners directly and chat a bit. You've all been helpful.