Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris apartment: Ile St. Louis or Rue des Boulangers

Mar 11th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

D'accord Paris experts...we have narrowed down our September apartment rental to two locations:

Ile St. Louis OR
Rue des Boulangers (5 Arrondissement, off Boulevard St. Germain)

I know a bit about Ile St. Louis, but nothing much about the other area. Anyone have comments?

Merçi.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:59 AM

If you can decide on no other reason than location since you like both equally, I would choose Ile St Louis, myself.

I don't know rue des Boulangers area well, but my fleeting impression is that isn't a particularly charming street nor immediate area. It's right near a large Univ. of Paris branch which dominates, and is a small street running between metro stops Cardinal Lemoine and Jussieu. It is not off bd St Germain, although that is not too far away. That location would be more convenient to those metro stops, though. Perhaps someone else knows that street better or some apt. on it.
Mar 12th, 2005, 06:11 AM

It would be nice if the decision were that simple, but for me it would be more complex. I've looked at some apartments on Ile St. Louis and have been turned off by their locations there. Where on the island is it? If it faces the main central street, I'd be wary, as that is a constant parade of tourists night and day. Is it a ground floor (several I looked at were) where you'd have to keep all the draperies or blinds closed as people constantly walk by? Or is it in a fifth floor walk up "attic" without airconditioning that might be hotter than hell?

Of course, similar problems can happen with the other location, but I find the actual placement of the apartment within a location just as important as the area where it is -- maybe even more so.
Care to share the websites of the two?
Mar 12th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Oh, by the way. If the one on Ile St. Louis happens to face the water, and is above the first floor -- grab it!
Mar 12th, 2005, 06:23 AM

I agree with Patrick. Check out the ile apartment very carefully. September will be better than August, but the flip side is that you may find the area a little too calm depending where on the ile you are. The appartment in the 5th will probably have easier metro access if that matters to you, and you will be very close to all the shopping and restaurants and neighborhoods that most of the folks here like in the 5th and 6th. The neighborhood around that street is really nice. The Arabe institute has a really interesting teashop and hammam. But of course, it really depends on what you are looking for.
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM

hi,

I stayed in an apartment on Rue des Boulangers last year for two weeks and loved it. If its a VRBO, perhaps the same one. The street is very quiet; just a short street between two major ones. No trees or greenery , just older residential blocks , a couple of restaurants and stores. I loved the neighbourhood for food shopping and convenience. Metros one block away.

If it is same apartment and you would like info on it, let me know.

Pat
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

THANKS EVERYONE...

The apartments are VRBO 5967 (Rue des Boulangers) and VRBO 51644 (Ile St. Louis).

The Boulangers is top floor (a plus), no elevator (a minus). Ile St. Louis is 2nd floor facing Rue St. Louis en L'ile, near the church of the same name) but no river view.

We've always wanted to stay on Ile St. Louis, but wonder about noise--street and from apartments above. Rue des Boulangers is probably quiet, has a view of Notre Dame in the distance.

I KNOW Ile St. Louis is upscale; I have no idea about Rue des Boulangers in the 5th.

Sounds like I'm complusing (true), but it's an important anniversary trip and, well, that's probably worth compulsing about.

Again, I appreciate all your helpful coments.

Dave White

Mar 13th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I don't think rue des Boulangers is remotely upscale, and I'd never pay $200 a day for an apartment that is a fifth floor walkup or whatever. The glimpse of Notre Dame's spires would be unimportant to me as I'm sure that's overstated and I'm usually mostly in a place when it's dark. The other place sounds better to me, but I'll admit I just thought the ad for the one on Boulangers sounded like the owner was a jerk and I had a visceral dislike of it and him or her. I just thought the stuff about no nasty foreign suprises, and how it's no fun to eat out twice a day when you are paying in dollars was obnoxious and stupid.

IN any case, you obviously like them both, so my personal reactions aren't important as you can decide how important those things like the view and elevator are to you. I just didn't think the one on rue des Boulangers even looked very nice, though. It looks cheaply decorated and in poor taste to me (that clock over the sofa is really ugly and the floors look entirely bare). It probably will be quieter, you are right.

For a week and a special anniverary and at that rate, I'd just stay in a hotel, I'll admit, I think it would be nicer, but I know lots of folks want apartments. I'd rather eat out myself.

One thing you didn't mention, did you actually get sizes of these apartments? that could make a difference if one is a lot smaller than the other.

Mar 13th, 2005, 08:32 PM

hi again,

looks like this is the same place that we stayed.

negatives: up four flights of stairs,
no dryer, the bathtub was not a full length tub

positives: up four flights of stairs meant I could eat more!
At least it had a bath.
Great french windows in both bedroom and living room overlooking garden next door and on to Notre Dame.
Well equipped, lots of CDs and books, quite roomy ( we were three women ) extremely quiet ( we kept the windows open all night.
never had any sort of problem with owner, their rep was there to meet me and very helpful.
We all really liked this apartment and would rent it again.

Pat
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM

I must admit the one on Ile St Louis is a puzzlement. It looks as if the living room and bedroom look out onto a courtyard, but when you see the courtyard, it doesn't look as if the trees are tall enough.

The only "street" with 3 bus lines is the Pont de Sully on the far east tip of the island.

Just to throw an idea out: for $1750/week you could get a real two-bedroom. It is a little further from the main action (in the 6th, but not so close to the Seine--I'd guess Metro Vaneau line 10). It's rented by an Indiana doctor (I think) named Randall Smith, who contributes here sometimes. Click on La Cigogne to see the apartment and you have to return to the home page to see rental stipulations and price.

http://www.lacigaleparis.com/