Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Apartment Ile St. Louis (Latin Quarter?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-apartment-ile-st-louis-latin-quarter-755769/)

GiuliaPiraino Dec 31st, 2007 10:36 AM

Paris Apartment Ile St. Louis (Latin Quarter?)

After hours of searching I finally settled on an apartment on the Ile St Louis which looked perfect. However, when I checked it on google maps, it turns out to be on the south side of the Seine, left bank which I'm unsure about.

It's on the corner of Pont De Tournarelle and Quai D'Orleans across from the Latin Quarter. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Paris,...p&ct=title

I am used to the right bank Marais area and I wanted to know if anyone had any feedback on the latin quarter which is just across the bridge. I see that it's a student/university area, which often means not so great, ie, loud clubs and hangouts, cheap shops, fast food, etc. I realize that it's across the bridge from the island but I would still like to know. I guess I just have no knowledge of this area so it makes me unsure about the apartment. Am I being neurotic? I know I am, but at least I embrace it right? I know the island is fine, it's just residential, but I would like to know about the other side.

Also, does anyone know if there is a Monoprix or Franprix near there?

Thanks in advance to all the Fodorites that make my travel life soooooo much easier. :-)

GiuliaPiraino Dec 31st, 2007 10:38 AM

Sorry here's the right map link

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...r&om=1>

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 10:49 AM

Have no worries. Just across the bridge from Ile St Louis is the Tour D'Argent, which does not serve student food :)

I've twice stayed in that Left Bank area, once near Jardin des Plantes, once on rue des Ecoles. There are many good restaurants in that area. When I was there I used the Michelin Red Guide and used it to find many good restos.

It is not a Sigma Delta Psi kind of area, busy at night but a "good" kind of busy. Street markets, Lutece roman arena, walks along the Seine, outdoor sculpture garden,etc...

There is a reason why the 4th(Ile),5,6th are the most popular areas to stay. There are no blaring all night parties around here (except maybe on June 21st)

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 10:52 AM

You could get your food supplies at Rue Moffetard market.

ekscrunchy Dec 31st, 2007 10:52 AM

I am sure there are others that can give you a more detailed answer, but the area opposite that address is NOT tacky and filled with cheap restaurants and student-ey businesses...you have to walk a bit for that.

When I stayed on the Ile last year, the supermarkets I walked to were those in the 4th near the St. Paul metro stop. The island is so narrow that I don't think it makes much difference (in convenience) to be on one side or the other..

GiuliaPiraino Dec 31st, 2007 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info, that's a relief because the apartment is fab! When you say outdoor sculpture garden are you referring to the Rodin garden?????? I missed that last time, I'd be thrilled if it was near by :-)

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 10:53 AM

There are some nice food/wine stores on the main street of Ile St Louis

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 10:59 AM

Nearest monoprix seems to be in the Marais, 71 rue St Antoine, corner of Rue St Paul and St Antoine, about 4 blocks from Ile St Louis

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 11:02 AM

Nope, Rodin is west of there, in the 7th, near Eiffel Tower (a long walk)

www.museums-of-paris.com/musee_en.php?code=399

There is also a place nearby where, on twi occasions, I saw people doing ballroom dancing outside, along Seine.

GiuliaPiraino Dec 31st, 2007 11:06 AM

That's good, I figured that Monoprix on Rue St Antoine would be the easiest, I used google pedometer and it looks like it's only .5 miles away, a lovely walk.

I'm so happy to hear it's not bad! In Scotland and Italy when we stayed in a university district it ranged from borderline to super grungy. What a relief!

mclaurie Dec 31st, 2007 11:07 AM

Are you going to tease us? Please provide a link to the apt. listing. ;;)

Apres_Londee Dec 31st, 2007 11:07 AM

As others have already posted, you have nothing to fear in the least. I would really recommend taking some time to explore the Latin Quarter on your trip. There are some very interesting and lovely things to see, such as the Pantheon, the Cluny Museum, the Luxembourg Gardens, the Rue Mouffetard Market, and St Etienne du Mont (just a few examples off the top of my head).

Michel_Paris Dec 31st, 2007 11:11 AM

You are staying in the area that I, if I had the money, would like to get a place, and I have checked at the real estate office on the main stret of Ile St Louis...keep the dream alive.

There are also some good restaurants along the Seine, Left Bank, as you walk up in the direction of Notre Dame. And many interesting side streets worth taking a detour for.

GiuliaPiraino Dec 31st, 2007 12:00 PM

Thanks, this is all good news. I think I looked at over 100 apartments, I was starting to have anxiety, there are TOO many! I'm looking forward to exploring a new area as we beat the Marais to death two years ago-LOL

avalon Dec 31st, 2007 12:22 PM

It's Musee de Sculptures de Plein Air and is fun to walk thru . There are alwasy people doing Tai Chi and it also close to the Jardin des Plantes.
Yes please tell us the apt information

Democat Jan 1st, 2008 08:28 AM

Michel, There's also a Franprix right by the St. Paul Metro stop, along with a decent boulangerie, as I recall.

elsiejune Jan 1st, 2008 01:00 PM

Hi Giulia, In a prior reponse to your request about "2nd Set of Eyes on Ile St.Louis apt", I noted the address of the supermarket nearest in the 5th, as well as other specifics about Ile St. Louis. Just search under my name or yours to bring up that thread. Happy New Year, EJ ((#))

ParisAmsterdam Jan 1st, 2008 01:31 PM

Hi Giulia,

Sounds like you're happy with your
choice. IMHO Ile St Louis is the best place to stay in Paris.

We never found the need to hit the
Franprix... there are 2 small grocery stores on the island. One will be just around the corner from you on rue des Deux Ponts. The other, larger and well stocked for its size is on rue St Louis en Ile... you'll pass it on your way to Berthillon! ;^)

If you cross the Pont de Tournelle
and can make it past Tour d'Argent
without going in, turn left on St Germain and walk along to number 6,
an Italian restaurant called Ciao Bella. Good pasta, good prices and
the owner/chef/waiter is a nice man
who speaks excellent New York English.

Rob

CarolJean Jan 1st, 2008 04:11 PM

The Ile is so small that it doesn't matter which side you are on. It is the best place to stay (IMHO) in Paris. We shopped the bakeries, small shops and wine store on the main street also went to the right bank for the small supermarkets. Mouffatard for the market. You will have a great time in a fantastic location. Don't sweat it just ENJOY IT. CJ

Anna1013 Jan 1st, 2008 05:07 PM

We stayed on the Ile this past May which was our 2nd trip to Paris - we loved it! From your map, it seems like we were just a few doors down from where your apartment is.

We really enjoyed it, and we loved that there was a creperie, post office, bank, restaurants, amorino, and berthillon within a few steps of our apartment! We got to try different ice creams from berthillon almost every night, and we walked over to the bridges on the nights to see Paris lit up!

You won't regret staying here, and the Pont Marie metro stop is literally just across the river at the edge of the 4th - and it's not that much farther to get to the St. Paul metro stop.

What time of year will you be there?