Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris apartment, 3 or more bedrooms, for family of 7? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-apartment-3-or-more-bedrooms-for-family-of-7-a-864057/)

CaliNurse Oct 23rd, 2010 12:53 PM

Paris apartment, 3 or more bedrooms, for family of 7?

Seeking recommendations for a large, 3 or more bedroom flat in Paris to accommodate four adults and three kids (aged 9--13). Prefer Rive Gauche,, 5th, 6th, or 7th, but that is of secondary importance. Hopefully we can find something for no more than $4,000/week--and even that is quite a stretch--but heck, if i have to work longer hours for the perfect place, so be it!

(I'll post something similar for London...so if you know of one there, head on over to the UK tag!)

Merci beaucoup a tout

sassy_cat Oct 23rd, 2010 01:24 PM

I've booked this apartment for 6 in July 2011 but it sleeps 7.
It's well within your budget but most importantly for us it also has two full bathrooms (I'm traveling with 3 teenage girls!).

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_52.htm

Good luck with your search!

Alan_CT Oct 23rd, 2010 01:27 PM

We (four adults) stayed here this fall. Great residential location, view of Eiffel Tower etc. New to the market it still needed some finishing touches, but was great overall. The bathroom layout - two with tub/hand showers and two w/c, works for groups and is a great value. Not sure what the price would be for 7.

http://bit.ly/cjNeBw

CaliNurse Oct 23rd, 2010 02:50 PM

Oh, these are wonderful suggestions!! Thank you Alan and Sassy!

Alan, i'll check pricing for larger groupls. And yes, in both cases , more than one bathroom is needed--my granddaughte is a teenager, and there will be three other women

Sassy, i booked a different vacationinparis flat for June, for just two people. How did i miss your recommendation then?

This larger family flat is for Summer 2012.Yes, starting search early, as trip will be to London and Paris, and i'm expecting big crowds in London (and fewer available flats) due to the London Olympics.

Thanks agin to you both.

surfmom Oct 24th, 2010 02:29 PM

We used Paris Vacation Apartments and they have some larger ones - I don't know if in the right arr. tho? I would use them again -they were great!

http://www.parisvacationapartments.c...pva-paris.html

We loved the Palais Royal location - the 3 bedroom apartment was above our 2 bedroom.

One bonus thing about their apartments - they are large! in addition to the fact they sleep alot - so there is room for 'stuff' - backpacks, suitcases etc. Some apartments are so tight that you are tripping over everything. (I have a morbid fear of putting clothes away in cupboards and drawers - I tend to leave them behind).

Looks like their St. Germain might be an option - although pushing your budget a little ?

Judy Oct 24th, 2010 02:55 PM

We've rented from Paris Vacation Apartments, also stayed in the Palais Royal location. I would certainly look at their larger apartments. They were great to work with and delivered exactly what they promised.
We are renting from them again next year.

surfmom Oct 24th, 2010 03:02 PM

cali, other things to look for when looking at apartments:

- walk up vs. elevator
- on site property management vs. absentee owners (I was impressed when the check in person noticed burnt out lightbulbs and their maintenance guy came by the next day to replace)
- washer + dryer (vs. some are washer only)
- # of bathrooms (bathtub was a plus when mine were little, but not needed now)
- walking distance to metro and specific station (for example, I hate RER stations even though they service more lines, they are SOOOOOO big!)
- a minor bonus is dishwasher vs. none (are you eating in a lot ? we ate in a lot for dinner)

also, there are good recommendations on slowtravel - have you checked them there ?

CaliNurse Oct 24th, 2010 10:56 PM

Merci beaucoup, Surfmom and Judy!

Thank you for mention of Paris Vacation Apt--good to know you've both had great experiences. I love St Germain, but Palais Royale area with that great little tea shop in the covered arcade (A Priori Tea?) .....

OK, going to check those places now.

Surfmom, thanks for your mention of the budget. I appreciate your awareness that it's a consideration. ( Thanks also for your response about London--darn, wish i still had all those Starwood points!) As i wrote, if the apartment is absolutely the right one...well, I'll pick up a whole lot of extra shifts at work, knowing it's for a good cause!

CaliNurse Oct 25th, 2010 09:54 PM

All the 2 and 3 bedroom rentals via Paris Vacation Apts look fantastic!!

Thanks too for the checklist/hints, Surfmom.

Ah yes--leaving things behind!! Once did that at pre-cruise hotel, leaving all warm-weather and swimwear in a drawer.

apersuader65 Oct 26th, 2010 01:27 PM

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_210.htm

Just under your budget of $4,000.00 for seven.

CaliNurse Oct 26th, 2010 11:21 PM

Apersuader, thank you!!! Just thinking there can't be another great option...now this!! And it's in the 6th--arrondissement magifique!!
I'm using VIP for a smaller flat in Paris in June. How did i miss the one you mentioned while checking for a larger flat?
That's what Fodors friends are for!

inspired_traveller Oct 27th, 2010 02:45 AM

I think www.Beau-Paris.com has something for 8 people. It was 2 apartments in the same building. I rent one of them and it was great. Maybe you want to check it out.

jhaskell Oct 28th, 2010 07:04 AM

I reviewed numerous apartment sites when I booked the apartment we booked for our stay December 22-29 for 8 persons. As you have found.....accommodations for 6+ persons are more difficult to find. Much depends on how many bedrooms and full and half baths your require. I finally used VRBO to book our apartment. I have used VRBO on several other ocassions for domestic and international rentals and have always had pleasant experiences.
The other thing I would advise is that you decide which area would be most convenient for your party....is the apartment centrally located to what you want to visit or to the Metro for you to utilize for transportation.
I also find that selecting the apartment is part of the excitement of the trip preparation. Good luck.

CaliNurse Nov 6th, 2010 02:05 PM

JHaskell, would you be willing to say the VRBO # you chose for your large group? Thanks for your advice. Yes, the search is part of the fun!!
INspiredtraveller, thank you for your recommendation of Beau-Paris agency--i will check, especially as you have stayed with them.

Apologies that I have not been back here sooner to again thank you ALL for your thoughtful and thought-filled replies!!

jhaskell Nov 7th, 2010 11:20 AM

CaliNurse,
Our VRBO apartment is # 216531...located in the Marais....4 BR/3.5 baths with5 WC's. We are a group of 5 adults and 3 teens. The owner is also providing an inflatable bed for the two teen boys...so I think it will meet our needs. The owner has been great to work with in making our plans. I don't know when your trip is planned but I will be glad to give you feedback on the apartment when we return if your trip is not planned earlier than our Christmas trip.Good luck in your quest!
jhaskell