Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   PARIS -ANYONE EVER HEARD OF HOTEL JARDIN DE PARIS ALESIA IN MONTPARNESSE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-anyone-ever-heard-of-hotel-jardin-de-paris-alesia-in-montparnesse-100378/)

Judy Jan 14th, 2001 02:09 PM

PARIS -ANYONE EVER HEARD OF HOTEL JARDIN DE PARIS ALESIA IN MONTPARNESSE?

HELLO! A GROUP OF 6 WOMEN ARE GOING TO PARIS IN APRIL. THEY ARE STAYING IN A BUDGET HOTEL IN PARIS CALLED "JARDIN DE PARIS ALESIA" IN THE MONTPARNASSE. I CAN FIND ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION ON THIS PROPERTY. NOT EVEN THE LOCATION ON A MAP!!! CAN YOU HELP? IS IT SAFE? CLEAN? COURTEOUS STAFF? THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Bob Brown Jan 14th, 2001 03:51 PM

Well, heard of is about all I can say. <BR>There is a hotel known as Les Jardins d'Alesia in the 14th at 34 rue d'Alisia. <BR>It is a small place near the Alisia Metro. Could this be the place? <BR> <BR>It is also near the Denfert Rochereau RER station. If it is the one, I would not call it "Montparnasse". You might be able to see the tower from there. <BR> <BR>

Larry Jan 14th, 2001 03:55 PM

Judy - please don't shout or yell - it give me a headache - find the Caps Lock Key and type reasonably or I will get Rex after you!!!!

Bob Brown Jan 14th, 2001 04:15 PM

Well, better search engine, better results. There is a hotel with that name listed as being at 147 Ter Rue D'alesia near the Plaisance Metro station. All I could find is that ithas 70 rooms and is rated at two stars. <BR>The location is south of the Montparnasse Tower by perhaps a kilometer. I have no idea what the Ter in the address means, nor do I know anything about the street. Never walked along it. <BR>Perhaps someone else knows more.

Larry Jan 14th, 2001 04:21 PM

Bob - which is a better search engine?? <BR>I know, the one that gives you answers, but which one do you like??

Mauralie Jan 14th, 2001 04:56 PM

Why is everyone doing Judy's hotel homework for her? Julie, to find it on a map, go to www.pageszoom.com and type it in on a map. Then, zoom out a bit. You'll see it's quite a distance from everthing you're probably planning to visit. But, so long as you're near the metro, you can easily go all over even though it may require several transfers to get where you're going. About the only good thing in the neighborhood I can think of is La Regalade, which most consider "worth the trip to the far flung reaches" (which ought to tell you something).

Diane Jan 14th, 2001 05:08 PM

Don't know a thing about the hotel or the area, but don't despair as long as you are near a Metro, you can get anywhere. We stayed in a non-touristy location (between Bastille and Place de Republique-- the 11th, I think) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Paris is a small city. It is wonderful. You will love it.

Bob Brown Jan 14th, 2001 07:00 PM

Oddly enough Yahoo turned up my second answer after Northern Light did not seem to find it, or I did not instruct it right. (Perhaps I typed falsely.) <BR>So I guess the answer is that the best search engine term is relative to the search. I seem to bang away until something falls out. <BR> <BR>I know some of you were asking why do the work for Judy. Well I have two great interests when looking at postings on this board. One is finding off beat hotels in Paris because I always learn something from the effort that might help me the next time I go there. The other is trying to figure out odd wad train schedules and see the differences that the various rail schedule search engines turn up. I found it amusing a while back when the hafas German site gave better answers for a tricky French schedule than the SNCF site did. I was sort of surprised as well as amused. <BR>Of course I will never know as much about European rail schedules as Ben Haines, but it is fun to try and see what I can find out. One of these days I just might go riding around Europe again on the train.

elaine Jan 15th, 2001 06:53 AM

Judy <BR>I don't know the hotel, but I will comment on the location. Denfert-Rochereau is the area that I stayed in on my first trip to Paris many moons ago. I do not recommend that location, only because it is a relatively long metro ride to get anywhere else you'd want to be, and your hotel appears to be even further south than mine was if it is near the Alesia metro stop. The Alesia stop is near the end of its metro line. <BR>Your friends ought to be able to find a better location, even on a budget. I'd bet their hotel was recommended by a travel agent, airline, or tour company.

Bob Brown Jan 15th, 2001 09:10 AM

I don't think my first answer was correct because the hotel name matched up better in the second search, which led to my second response. If I had to go and find the place, I would look in the vicinity of the Plaisance Metro station. <BR>Anybody got a guess (or actually know) what the "ter" in the address means?? <BR>The letter B is what my dictionary says, which makes sense, if it is 147B.

Jenny Jan 15th, 2001 10:34 AM

http://www.accorhotel.com/fichehotel...code_langue=GB <BR> <BR>This is a link to a little info. My husband and I are also staying there and this is all I have been able to find. From what I have been told it is in a safe residential like area and is clean. Hope this helps.

clairobscur Jan 15th, 2001 11:57 AM

I don't know how you call it in your country (the USA, I guess), so I'll have to explain it in a tortuous way. <BR> When a new building is build between the 145 and 147 (the 146 being on the other side of the street), it's numbered 145 bis (latin for second, AFAIK) if a new building is build in turn between the 145 bis and the 147, it's numbered 145 ter (third). <BR>Just wondering why you seemed to be so interested in this topic.

Donna Jan 15th, 2001 04:11 PM

Well, I found it on a map. And, I wouldn't stay there - the closest metro stop is Alesia. From there, no matter where you go, you'd have to transfer at either Montparnasse or Chatelet, stations most tour guides advise avoiding at night (some recommend avoiding them altogether). But, I agree with whoever recommended La Regade. The food is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Surely you can find something better for the same price.