Paris and what other city?

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Kim

Paris and what other city?

We are going to Europe for 9 days counting travel at the end of April. We are starting in Paris and we were thinking of going to London for the other half of the week. Do you think this is a good "additional" city to go to or should we stay in just Paris? Is there another city close by? We have been to Paris and London but never to Spain or anywhere else around there. Thank you.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Doug

My choice would be to stay in or near Paris and travel outside the city. There are many incredible things to do and see in Ile de France, Loire valley and Normandy to name a few. Last night my 15 year old daughter watched the movie The man in the Iron Mask and exclaimed, look dad, there's Vaux le Vicomte.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Michele

Stay in Paris and do day trips to close by attractions. There is PLENTY to do with only 7 full days.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Rex

I look at a question like this in two ways: <BR><BR>what appeals to you? what do you have a special affinity for - - by family background, career, educational exposure, etc?<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>what is easiest and most affordable to get to?<BR><BR>I don't know anything about your interests, except that possibly I can infer that you like URBAN travel (but maybe you have simply never tried Europe travel in its wonderful smaller-town rural areas).<BR><BR>So here are places you can get to easily and cheaply:<BR><BR>Dublin, London, Liverpool and Glasgow (Ryanair, Easyjet or train to London - - though flying is cheaper)<BR><BR>Germany (Nuremberg) and Croatia (EuropeByAir)<BR><BR>Marseille, Nice (several)<BR><BR>Brussels, Cologne or Amsterdam (train)<BR><BR>AND the biggest news of all! (this is worthy of a separate post!)<BR><BR>Rome, Venice, Pisa and Milan - - on www.airlibexpress.com with fares starting as low as 28 euro (taxes included!) one way!<BR><BR>I would recommend that you try the countryside of France (Normandy, the Loire or Burgundy, for example) or Italy (better weather, naturally) - - but of course, you can choose very urban destinations with all these options as well.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:03 PM
top it up

up up up<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Jon

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Paris, Burgundy, and Lyon.<BR><BR>I am amazed that Lyon is so often overlooked as a vacation destination. It is an incredible city and now on my short list of favorite European destinations.<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>j.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Christina

I think London is a good city to go to if you want the variety. If you want something new, you might consider Amsterdam, as it's very close (only about 4 hrs by train or something), next to London. Those are the two major cities I think of (outside France) as close to Paris -- Brussels, of course, but it doesn't seem as interesting to many.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Max

Get north to Mt. St. Michelle. A Must!!! While there see St. Malo too

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:30 PM
garybear

Many interesting places outside of Paris already suggestsed. If you want one day out of France, I suggest Bruges Belgium. Easily done by TGV train via Brussels.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:29 AM
elvira

There is plenty to do in Paris and its surrounds - easy day and half-day trips that could fill nine days.<BR><BR>If you want to stay in France, you can go to Bordeaux and the wine region, or Lyon (I agree, a much-overlooked city), or the Loire Valley all easily reached by train. There are cheap airfares offered by easyjet.com to Nice. You can also go by train, but it'll take up a good chunk of a day (or take an overnight train to not waste valuable daylight hours).<BR><BR>Outside of France, good choices are London, Amsterdam, and Brussels/Brugges. The same easyjet.com offers cheap flights to Barcelona for a real &quot;whoo-ee&quot; change of scenery and culture.<BR><BR>My advice is to stay in Paris and do daytrips (you can even do London as a daytrip using the Eurostar or flying, or Brussels via the Thalys) - you've really got only seven days and packing up, getting to and checking into another hotel, getting the lay of the land is time-consuming.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Ron

There are plenty of interesting day trips from Paris to occupy your time, let alone things to do in the city itself. I have a day trip file I would be happy to e mail.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Alicia

I would vote that you should stay in France, for additional cities on countrside.<BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Rosa

<BR>Dear Kim,<BR><BR>I don't think London is a good &quot;additional&quot; city after the fast pace and noise of Paris. Exciting though both cities are, it's too much of the same thing regards pace. <BR><BR>I'd suggest booking seats on the Thalys train to Amsterdam. It only takes four hours, and you can round off your European trip in a relaxed, altogether quieter city, with plenty to see and do, but at a calmer pace.<BR><BR>I'm curious as to where you'll choose. All the best.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:20 AM
cat

Ryanair, Ireland’s largest international airline today unveiled details of its eighth new base at Milan Bergamo Airport. Speaking at a press conference in Milan, Ryanair’s Chief Executive, Michael O’Leary revealed that the airline would base up to four aircraft in Milan Bergamo Airport from the 6th of February next, and would operate over 30 daily flights to 6 international destinations (London, Paris, Brussels, Barcelona, Hamburg and Frankfurt) with fares that will start from as little as 9.99 euro one way. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:32 AM
toppers

to the top<BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:47 AM
marj

Amsterdam is about a 3 hour train ride away. It's a very easy trip by train, and Amsterdam is a great little city. We did a similar trip, 6 nights Paris, 3 Amsterdam.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Lynda

This Ryanair Bergamo announcement seems like pretty big news. I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about it.<BR><BR>