Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris&UK vs Ireland in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-and-uk-vs-ireland-in-november-271397/)

Jill Nov 6th, 2002 12:22 PM

Paris&UK vs Ireland in November

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I are meeting in London on the 23rd of November, leaving on the 30th. We need to decide if we want to spend a few days in London/UK and Paris or if we want to spend the week in Ireland. I am concerned about the time of year (ie tourist attractions and places to stay in Ireland). Can anyone give me any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks :)<BR>Jill

dave deighan Nov 6th, 2002 12:39 PM

Hi Jill<BR>First -we're biased. And we love Paris.<BR>But we think you should come to Dublin (great city) and get a taste of the beautiful Irish countryside. Easily done by staying in Dublin for a few days and then heading south for an hour into the Wicklow Mountins -thus you get both the city and countryside and get to meet both sides of our lovely country -vibrant cosmopolitan city and beautiful scenery - some of the most unspoily in Europe and so easily accesible from London. Have no worries - Ireland welcomes tourists all year round!<BR>Feel free to mail us back if we can help.<BR><BR>Kind Regards<BR><BR>Dave &amp; Valerie Deighan

Julie Nov 6th, 2002 03:11 PM

You will have a wonderful time no matter what you do. I spent a week in Ireland at the end of November in 1996 and loved it - out of 6 days there it only rained once. If you do go i highly recommend you head to the west to the dingle pennensula. One of the highlights of my travel experiences in life was a 30 km bike ride around this penninsula. Gorgeous!! Dublin is great too. Of course Paris is great too - I'm headed there next week for 8 nights. And I lived in London for 9 months and LOVED that so you really can't go wrong with anything you do. Have fun!!

Ann Nov 7th, 2002 07:27 AM

I like Dave's suggestion--a few days in Dublin and a few days exploring the countryside in Wicklow. That way you don't spend your entire vacation in the car.<BR><BR>Just remember that you won't have much daylight, but that's a good excuse to spend more time in the pub.

Ann Nov 7th, 2002 07:28 AM

I made it sound as if you have about 2 hours of daylight in Ireland, so wanted to clarify--it just gets dark fairly early this time of year, (4 or 4:30--someone can correct me on this), so use your daylight hours wisely.

Jill Nov 7th, 2002 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your input, I am thinking that we would actually like to visit some castles if we go to Ireland and maybe fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. If we fly into Dublin on Monday morning and out of Shannon on Friday evening, would we be able to get to Dingle and the Ring of Kerry as well as spend a day or so in Dublin or are we spreading ourselves too thin with the limited daylight? How long is the trip along the southern coast, is it worth it? Many thanks for your input :0)<BR><BR>Jill