Paris and the ballet Giselle-tickets

Sep 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Paris and the ballet Giselle-tickets

Hi, can you please advise me of the best way to buy 2 tickets for the ballet Giselle at Opera Garnier on one of these dates: Oct. 5,6,7,8 or 9?
the last time I checked, the ballet was sold out. However, I can't find the page I explored about the ballet tickets so I don't know where to check again. If anyone can tell me the site and the process for booking, that would be great.
And if the ballet is still listed as sold out, what is the best way to get tickets once I am in Paris? What's the best time to show up at the box office to find out if any tickets are available?
I would be so grateful for advice, as my traveling companion would really love to see this ballet. Best, Emily
Sep 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM

You could try this site, which still shows that tickets are available.
http://inspireddiversions.com/eventf...cfm?id_eve=200
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Try the official site:

http://www.operadeparis.fr

You have to register (I think) to but tickets on the site but it's free and simple.

The ballet still shows sold-out on the site, but tickets do actually pop up now and then so keep checking regularly-- even hourly. Also, if you telephone the box office they sometimes have tickets that don't show up on the website. The other thing you can do is to show up at box office on the day of the show when they sell last-minute returns. I wish I could give more specific info about the box office returns day of show, but maybe someone else remembers more specifically how it's done. I just remember a queue of people and quite a few last-minute tickets available. Friends got tickets that popped up on the website the day before show.

I hope you manage to see it. We saw their Giselle three years ago and it was wonderful.

Above all just keep trying as you stand a good chance of getting seats. Good luck!
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM

Typo: I meant to say "buy" not "but".
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM

well, given that is only a few days away and the beginning of the season, I wouldn't place any bets that you have a good chance of getting seats at the regular price, they do sell out there. No harm in trying though, the best way to try in Paris is simply to go to the Opera Garnier box office and ask. I tried myself as I have an account with them, and they will not sell for Oct 6,8, or 9 (those other dates you name, they don't even have a performance of Giselle, I don't think). They will sell them for 9/28 and 9/29, though. I checked a regular French ticket broker, also (ticketnet.fr), and they also said those dates are sold out, and so did FNAC. Now by French law, I believe those ticket agencies only get charge a very small admin. fee, whereas foreign companies can mark up sales as much as they want.

So if you really want one at any cost, you might try that place listed above which is British, although you are paying a lot for the ticket marked up that way. They wanted US$175 for a ticket and the top fee at Garnier is 87 euro, which is only around US$129. And the ticket you got may be more the 64 euro ones at Garnier, I'm not sure if those can be called orchestre or not. Anyway, it is expensive.

If you don't want to pay that, and I wouldn't, I'd just keep trying online and go to the box office where there.
Sep 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Any time I bought tickets for the Ballet I telephoned the Opera house from London and made payment over the telephone and the tickets were posted.......choice of French or English speaking receptionists available...that was my experience.

Also many times in Paris I visit the Opera house in the afternoon and get tickets for the evening performance. Not fantastic seats but for the price of about 10 euros it was good value....never was not able to get tickets.....maybe just luck.
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello again. I am having trouble figuring out the internet ticket sale process. I want to keep checking for availability of Giselle. So I went to the Paris Opera Web site. I have a password/registration, so I typed that in. That took me to a page that just shows a heading for "Wozzeck" and "Pass converges". I can't find the place to search for Giselle.
Can someone help me?
Sep 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Hi Emily,

Maybe this page link below will help you:

http://www.operadeparis.fr/cns11/liv...ex.php?lang=en
Sep 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Just go to the main page and click "calendrier" and then the month you're looking for-- you'll see all the performances listed by date, and the ones with available tickets have a little orange dot ("R" on the French page and "B" on the English).