Paris and South of France over Easter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People gave me so many great ideas on a thread for "outdoor Europe". Really excited to start to plan our final family trip for a bit (twins: college tours next year followed by college tuition bills).
We are going loosely April 19-28 (flexible by a day or two).
We are thinking 3 nights in Paris and then heading to Avignon, renting a car and staying in some of the smaller towns to explore, hike, etc.

BUT with Easter, not sure what will make the most sense as far as things being open (i.e. food). Paris first or Paris at the end?

We would prefer to rent apartments which seems pretty easy in Paris. Not sure about in smaller towns yet. We also like an apartment because my son is a diabetic and it helps to have a fridge and some food on hand.

What towns have people enjoyed using as a base to explore? We can definitely do more than one. Thank you. I planned the best trip to Greece from all the helpful people on this board and I am confident I will end up with a memorable vacation to France with all the great tips.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Suggest you use a multi-destination flight search to consider flying into Marseille Provence airport and home from Paris. There is local train service from the Marseille airport to Avignon (or you could spend a couple of days in Marseille itself, using a shuttle bus from the airport.)
https://www.marseille-airport.com/

Avignon is a good base; here is the link for the tourism agency with info on the region:
Site officiel de l'Office de Tourisme d'Avignon

However, because the central city is walled, parking is a challenge. I would make day trips by rented car rather than moving from hotel to hotel. Fast train to Paris. Flying home from there is easier because your flight will start at a more civilized hour than if you need to make a connection from another city.
https://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Last edited by Southam; Oct 18th, 2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: corrections
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 06:05 AM

Personnnaly I would recommend Aix en Provence over Avignon as a base. More lively and less touristy.
Avignon is perfect for a daytrip though, as is Orange (great theater).
Don't bother with easter, everything will be open : this is holiday schools, thus tourist season.
Paris appartments are oftne illegal, do check that they have a registration number and avoid going to a specific owner, favor renting via sites (booking.com, airbnb etc).
B&B's are easy to find for smaller cities or towns. The best imo is https://www.gites-de-france.com
Don't set it in English, the site will then ignore ads that have not been translated.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 06:22 AM

<<We would prefer to rent apartments which seems pretty easy in Paris.>>

All too easy - the majority of short-term rentals are illegal, though.

<< We can definitely do more than one>>

Sure, if you want to spend a whole load of your very short vacation time packing and unpacking and moving around. NOT a wise plan.

Easter shouldn't be much of an impediment, though Easter Day itself might be a bit quiet as it's mostly a family day.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Aix is neat but Avignon IMO is a better base as there are so many neat things in a compact area whereas Aix of course has some but not as famous or whatever as Avignon does in a really compact area. Base in a smaller town or village and visit Pont du Gard, Les Baux-de-Provence, Arles, the Camargue, etc. Book trains from Paris at www.oui.sncf or www.trainline.eu - same trains same prices some say latter is easier to use. For lots on trains in general check www.seat61.com; www.budgeeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

You could start in Avignon area for some days then go to Aix and fly home from Marseille or even Nice or hop fast train back to Paris in about 3 hours.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:20 AM

I'm not sure what you mean about how you can do more than one. You only have 10 days at most, and you want to spend 3 in Paris. Okay, I have certainly moved hotels within a week, why not, but you have an idea of renting apts. If you forget that idea (especially for Provence, not going to happen probably for a couple days, and gites tend to rent Sun-Sat only), sure, you can move to a couple towns in 6 days.

If you only do one place for a week, you'd be more likely to find a rental.

The small towns I've stayed in/near have been Roussillon and Pernes-les-Fontaines a couple times as that's my favorite. Also, Uzes but that's west of the Rhone. I've stayed in Aix and Avignon and Nice, also, but those are cities.

I"m not sure why you thnk anything related to food would be closed due to Easter, not sure what you mean. Sure, some supermarkets are closed on SUnday, but they always are.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 01:23 PM

If possible I'd stay a week in one place and rent a Gite (even if only stay there 6 days rent for minimum of week if Sun-Sat comports with you - whole different experience than a hotel - self-catering - go to local markets, etc. and live quiet village life.

https://www.gites-de-france.com/loca...-provence.html

Take TGV train to Avignon-TGV station, a few miles out of Avignon so clear sailing by car rented at station. If staying in countryside be sure IMO to spend one day or part of in Avignon - Palais des Popes where some Popes stayed during a church schism centuries ago, is one of the most historic edifices in France and of course see the famous Pont d'Avignon of children's songs standing half-way across the river and just a neat old town.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

I saw houses/apartments for rent and available by the night and thought I would split 3 nights Paris and then 3 nights in one location and 3 nights in another in Provence to cut down on the driving. we pack light so moving from one place to the next is not a big deal. I am leaning towards being in a town vs. countryside (although I saw a lot of really lovely homes for rent in the countryside). But we like the idea of walking around a town, eating out etc. and not having to jump on a bus or a train to go eat or to have to cook every night.

When we went to Greece, planning around Easter was an issue to make sure that things were open. So we did Athens during Easter because more was open than in Rural Greece. But I guess that is not the issue in France.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 03:14 AM

Greek Easter is a whole different ballgame from Easter in France. But, as already noted, it's a Sunday, and it's not high season, so you can expect things to be closed, Easter or not. Very generally speaking, lots of things close in rural France from the end of October until the Tuesday after Easter. That does not mean, however, that you will go without food.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:23 PM

Flying home from there is easier because your flight will start at a more civilized hour than if you need to make a connection from another city.
https://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/>

www.voyages-sncf.com still works but the site is now known as www.oui.sncf and www.trainline.eu has same fares and some say easier to use.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Ok so thinking Arles for three nights and ??? another town for a driving base Want to do two towns to reduce the amount of daily driving.

So is it really such a bad idea to fly into Paris...do three nights there and take a train to Provence pick up a car. Drop it off and train it back to Paris?
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 06:00 AM

No, it's a fine idea. Not what I would do, but for you it would work well, I think.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 09:07 AM

>>So is it really such a bad idea to fly into Paris...do three nights there and take a train to Provence pick up a car. Drop it off and train it back to Paris?>>

I think it sounds like the most practical idea given what you want to do.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We would prefer to rent apartments which seems pretty easy in Paris.<<

For just three nights, book a hotel in Paris. The vast majority of short term rentals in the city are illegal and by next Spring more and more will have been caught and taken off the market.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Even through Home Away from Home?
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RubyTwins
Even through Home Away from Home?
Yes - Home Away is just a listing site no different then vrbo or airbnb. IF the apartment has the long city registration number it is legal. Otherwise it is illegal. If it has a registration # it will be prominently displayed on the listing website.
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 02:48 PM

For good value modern hotels - flats can always have less than optimal showers, etc and generally prefer a week or longer stay check out Accor Hotels - www.accorhotels.com - they have a variety of American-style hotels like Holiday Inns and lesser and better ones. One IBIS accor hotel is right by the Gare du Lyon where you'd get a train to Avignon/Arles area - good value too - check the sight for possibilities.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

The problem is my son is a diabetic and ideally, we need a small kitchen. It makes it a lot easier to have breakfast at home and have some food on hand that is maybe not totally high carb instead of hunting around for breakfast/lunch/dinner. That is why we are looking for apartments but obviously don't want to break the law or get screwed if we pay for something and they close it down.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 12:44 PM

Well book the authentically registered flats early then. Or carry a hot plate!
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 02:25 PM

A hot plate??

A US hot plate would not work in France.

RubyTwins: There are Aparthotels in Paris -- Citadines is just one chain but there are others. They have kitchens or kitchenettes plus the amenities of a hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -