Paris & Provence Itinerary Planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I and my wife, starting our 60th decade, are planning a March/April 2009 trip to Paris & Provence. I expect to stay in Paris for 4-6 days, and then either drive to a location in Provence or perhaps take the train to Avignon and rent a car from there. Having spent several weeks travelling Europe in previous years, our interest is in budget & quality B&B's or small personal hotels, giving us more money to spend on day-tripping around the countryside, seeing sights, museums castles, churches. I'm looking for assistance in finding the right accommodations in or near Avignon, and suggested towns to visit.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM

Answering to top this. Robert I am also planning a trip in September and am constantly searching this forum for different ideas. There have been some good threads like
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35137221
which should give you an idea. There is also a recent thread about taking the train to Avignon. Look for posts by Stu Dudley and ask him for his detailed Provence itinerary. It is great. I hope others join in with advice.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM

We travel in France often and in Provence have stayed at http://www.chambres-hotes.fr/chambre...es_1386_en.htm 3 times. It's a beautiful B&B and we just love the owners and their wonderful cooking. We've stayed here usually in June, so I don't know how it would be in March-April. The meals probably are served indoors instead at that time of year. The location is very central to many wonderful sites of Provence.

We will be back in Provence this late August and September, staying in a B&B in the Drome for 3 nights, then renting a gite for 2 weeks in the Var. St.Remy is having a large artist show September 7, for 4 days I believe, Gigondas is having their wine festival September 5-7 and Nice is having a large craft and art show September 6-7.

Check prices on Air France for the flights between Paris Orly and Avignon and compare them to the train fares. We've flown in the past, but prices were low at the time. The TGV trains in France are fantastic, so that is a great option also. Buy your tickets ahead of time on their web site to save on the fares. You can print Prem tickets from home and just bring the ticket with you, no need to pick it up, or check in before your train ride.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM

We have done this in past years, and may point toward it again about the same time as you--HOPING for a break in air fares.
You will enjoy driving around Provence, but NOT driving TO Provence. Take the TGV and rent a car there. And to maximize budget and time, consider taking the TGV back to CDG for your return home. We did it the opposite way--taking the train from CDG to begin our trip, and ending in Paris. This is my personal preferred arrangement of our itinerary.
STu Dudley has a huge compendium of knowledge of Provence.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM

A book I'm enjoying about Provence is Walking and Eating in Provence, published by Moon. It may be of help to you.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the tips. I'll be checking in regularly as I continue planning the itinerary. I'll look for the book as well; thanks for that, Images2!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
WE once took a plane back to Paris from Avignon and left our rental car there.