Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris and 3-4 days somewhere else? the Loire Valle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Kristi

My husband and I will arrive in Paris on March 30th (about noon) and depart on April 7th. Since we've been to Paris a few times before, we want to combine about 4 days in the city, with an excusion somewhere else. We've already done Provence, so that's out. In contention right now are (1) Switzerland (2 days in Laussane, 2 in Interlachen), (2) the French Riviera, and (3) the Loire Valley. I'm concerned that Switzerland may be a bit cold, and the Riviera a bit far. <BR><BR>Right now, the Loire Valley is in the lead, and I'm considering following the Fodor guide suggested itinerary. How does this sound?<BR>- 29th (Sat) arrive, travel to Blois for the night. Should we train and rent a car or drive down from Paris?<BR>- 30 (Sun) visit Chambord, stay the night in Cheverny. This is Easter Sunday, think we'll have problems?<BR>- 1st (Mon) visit Chaumont sure Loire, travel to Amboise to see chateau and Clos Luce, stay in Amboise<BR>- 2 (Tues) visit the Chateau de Chemonceau, head back toward Paris<BR><BR>Any suggestions for hotels, a different itinerary, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. We're both in our early 30s and have no kids, if that helps. Sadly we're not big wine people. We definitely don't want to waste too much time travelling, and generally like to do a fair amount of sightseeing, browsing cities and towns, and stay in places with all the "modern conforts." Many thanks!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Therese

I would probably drive, and you might consider doing the drive directly from the airport (as you'll not be wanting a car in Paris unless you are absolutely insane) car rental and then dropping it off on your way back into town. The Loire valley will still be chilly in April, and you'll be too early for the cool "Sound and Light" shows that they do at some of the chateaux (Chenonceaux's is very cool).<BR><BR>How about Languedoc? Unless you were including that with Provence? The TGV is a great way to get down to Montpellier and environs.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:13 AM
David

I'd recommend taking the train from Paris into the Loire. That way you don't have to try to drive out of Paris. Last June it took me 2 hours just to get from the Louvre to the ring road on Paris' outskirts.<BR><BR>Next, I'd pick one hotel and stay there. The distances really aren't all that far in the Loire. www.viamichelin.com says it's 33 miles and 50 minutes from Chambord to Amboise, about the width of the area you're planning to travel by car. This is personal preference coming into play too. I don't like to pack in and out of a hotel every day. It seems like I'm speding time doing something I'd rather not.<BR><BR>Other posters, including myself, have recommended Amboise as a nice sized town for a base. A chateau hotel near Onzain gets recommended often too. You might search the postings to find the name of it and other recommendations.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Kristi

Thanks for the help already! I didn't know (but should have realized) that the distances between the sites are so short. If we base our stay in one town, I'd love additional suggestions. We'd enjoy a town that was large enough to walk around and browse in the evenings and provides a variety of restaurants, etc. Keep that great advice coming!<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:26 AM
j

I would definitely consider Burgundy - whether or not you're wine drinkers! The scenery, food, and sights (including Roman ruins), are wonderful. Great towns include Auxerre, Vezaly (eat at L'Esperance), Autun, Beaune, Dijon. Check out Relais & Chateaux website (www.relaischateaux.com?). If you're still thinking about Lausanne, maybe consider staying in Ouchy, a "suburb" on Lake Geneva that's a five-minute tram ride from Lausanne proper. Either Beau Rivage Hotel or Chateau d'Ouchy, and order omble de Chevalier, delicious fish supposedly found only in Lake Geneva! Bottom line, all choices sound good!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Grasshopper

Kristi, the Loire sounds like a great plan and you have nailed down the right chateaux. My recommendation would be to take the TGV to Tours (2 hours only) and then rent a car there. I used autoeurope (www.autoeurope.com) and they were fine. Then stay in a chateau for a very cool experience. We stayed at Chateau de Jallanges in Vouvray, about a 20 minute drive from Tours. (www.chateaux-france.com/-jallanges) <BR><BR>While you are there, plan to visit some of the wine cellars and small vintners as well. Any place with a sign that says "degaustation" allows you to taste. Some of the wine caves are really fun to visit.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:33 PM
nancy

I agree with Grasshopper. We too stayed at the Chateau de Jallanges this past fall. It was an experience I'll never forget.Somewhat of a cross between the house in the Haunting and the Adams Family! We travel a lot, and the Loire Valley outclasses them all. Switzerland didn't quite do anything for me, the French Riviera was nice, but the Loire is a fairy tale come true. Enjoy!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:39 PM
nancy

We took the TGV from Paris to Tours, and rented a car thru Avis. You can easily divide the area into 2-3 different day trips. We saw about 3-4 places each day and had plenty of time to eat and sightsee.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:36 PM
stellaky

I've stayed in Tours and in Orleans. Orleans may be a little smaller than you wish, but it is a wonderful town. We went to a wedding there...then drove to Chinon. The wine in Chinon is the best I have ever had! You'd be remiss to miss that wonderful former capital of France....

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Dayle

Kristi, I trained to Chartres, stayed overnight & picked up a car there. Drove down to Chateau de Chissay where I stayed 4 nights. From there drove to see Chambord, Cheverny, Azay le Rideau, Chennonceau (just in the next village from Chissay), Amboise and Villandry gardens. If I had it to do over, I would have stayed in 2 different places. Personally, I would rather repack (I travel light) than drive back & forth so much. Dropped car at the TGV station which is in the Tours suburb of St. Paul du Corps. Very easy. Also loved the town of Amboise & would recommend staying there. Blois is much larger, Tours too big.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Ronda

FYI We were told at our hotel that there is a direct TGV from Tours to the Charles D.G. airport which we were unable to take due to timing of our flight.<BR><BR>We stayed at a quaint little hotel in Chenonceau named Hotel La Roseraie with a great restaurant. Very quiet, very small town. Listed in Fodors and Rick Steves. Check out the Rants and Raves.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Janese

For the very best of France you cannot beat the Dordogne Valley in the Perigord region, it is not called the Fairyland of France for nothing. There are 1,000 fantastic sites in that area which is so small - a mile or 3 between each place. Also of major note are the Lascaux caves but for my vote Rocamadour is the most interesting place I have ever seen - in France that is. <BR>Do a search of that area, I have been twice now and it is my favourite place on earth. The Places, Faces and Food or that area have no equal.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:38 AM
stellaky

be careful if you take the TGV from Tours to CDG! We did that to catch our noon flight out of Paris. Left Tours on the TGV (a 1hr 15 min train ride) at about 9am. Arrived at 10:15am, thinking we had 1 hr 45 min to spare...no problem right? Wrong! It takes about 20 - 25 min to get from where the train drops you off to the proper place to check in (must take a bus.) We were still standing in line to go through security, (had not even gotten our boarding passes yet - you must go through security with ALL your bags first...) at one hr before the flight. A lady came by from Delta and said we had essentially missed our flight since we only had an hour to go - no way we would make it through. So we had to standby for the next 4 flights...then the Concord crashed while we were sitting on the plane waiting to take off. Talk about an awful day! None of the delays would have happened if the ticket agent in Tours wouldn't have told us that the TGV train getting in 1 hr 45 min ahead of our flight would be 'fine'.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Kristi

Many thanks for all the help I've received so far! A brief follow-up question . . .<BR><BR>1) Where to base? I'm deciding between Amboise and Tours. We'd like a charming town (of course!), with plenty of restaruants, and that is easy to see on foot. Others seem to think that Tours is too large?<BR><BR>2) How to get there? I like the idea of taking the TGV to Tours to rent our car. BUT, according to Rail Europe, the re is no direct TGV from CDG to Tours. I've also read that the drive from Paris to Tours is only 2 hours, and the TGV is one. Since we'll have to train into Paris from CDG to catch the TGV (or take a slower train from CDG), should we just rent the car at CDG and drive down? After 3 - 4 days in the Loire, we'll be returning to Paris for 4 days, and I definitely do not want to drive in the city . . .<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Grasshopper

I would definitely hold off on getting the car til I got to Tours... but that's just my preference. YOu can always take the RER to Gar de Lyon (requires one change I think but I did it my first trip to Paris and it wasn't difficult). Or if you prefer, take Paris Shuttle (www.parishuttle.com)<BR><BR>Amboise is a smaller, more charming town. But please do consider the idea of staying at a chateau. You will be surprised how little it costs and it will be an experience you won't soon forget.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:26 AM
lisa

The TGV leaves Paris from Gare Montparneese.It arrives in St.Pierre des Corps. (The rental cars are there.) Tours would be the better city to base from. I too stayed at Jallanges, also Marcay. The area you are visiting isn't that big that you need to worry about where you're based, but it does make since to stay at one end or the other. One day we drove from Jallanges west, the other day east. Happy travels!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Leslie

Kristi - first, I think you're idea of the Loire Valley is best for the reasons you stated about the Riviera and Switzerland.<BR><BR>Second, I think you've plotted a very nice itinerary as is. I would like to suggest the following:<BR><BR>Consider seeing Chartres on your way south. The cathedral is spectacular. Perhaps picking up your rental car there instead of Tours. We picked up the rental car near the Gare du Lyon train station, but must admit it was a little difficult getting out of Paris and onto the right road to Chartres. <BR><BR>Blois is a nicer city than Tours in my opinion, but Amboise is much smaller and nicer than both of those.<BR><BR>We did a similar itinerary and stayed our last night in Fontainbleu, which is a wonderful place to visit, if you've not yet seen it. We found it to be a reasonable distance to drive from Fontainbleu to CDG to drop off the car for an afternoon departure and I wouldn't want to drive into Paris to return a car. <BR><BR>We did, however, have a devil of a time returning our car at CDG as we were looking for car return sign on the outskirts of the airport..Turns out they were all inside the terminal in multi-level parking zones. So do ask for good directions from the agency if returning to CDG.<BR><BR>Bon Vacance!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Janine

Last March i took a group of 13 to Paris for a week then 5 of us split off for 4 days. We packed light (taking a carry-on for the side trip and leaving our large piece of luggage at the hotel in storage.)<BR><BR>I would definitely take the train out of Paris. We took the train to Orleans and spent 2 to 3 hours in Jeanne d'Arc's beautiful city. Picked up the car at Auto Europe and drove to Muides sur Loire where we stayed in a b&b for 2 nights. Toured Chambord, Chenonceau and Amboise (beyond the chateau, the town is wonderful. We then drove to Mont St. Michel and spent two nights in Normandy (near Isigny-sur-mer. Dropped car off in Caen and took train back into Paris. Went back to our same hotel.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.