Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris and........???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-and-196886/)

kam Oct 18th, 2001 04:47 PM

Paris and........????

Hello all, We need to be in Paris for a Friday, Saturday and leaving Sunday to return to the U.S. in April. Before Paris we would like to spend a few days, say 3 or 4 somewhere we haven't been before. What do you think of Brussels,Brugges, Ghent, Antwerp? We've been to a lot of northern France(Loire, Normandy, Alsace, Champagne) and don't want to take the time to go all the way to the south where we have also been in past years. Or, should we just stay in France and revisit old favorites? Don't want to spend a lot of time and really would like to do without a car, taking the trains instead. Thanks to all.

Robdaddy Oct 18th, 2001 06:05 PM

Have you considered Luxembourg? I spent several days there a few years ago, visiting friends, and was surprised at all there is to see. Easy to get to from Brussels, easy to get around in by train or car because it's so small, language isn't a problem, and the food's good as well as the local beers or Moselle wines. Also, from Lux., Trier Germany is a very easy daytrip and one we enjoyed a lot. Wherever you go, be safe and make some wonderful memories!

linda Oct 19th, 2001 04:47 AM

kam, i was going to suggest Burgundy, a fast tgv ride away, until I read that you would rather do without a car. Brugges is wonderful, but our family spent 4 nights there and although it was wonderful, we felt we were there a tad too long. Very unusual because I usually like just staying put. I do not recall how easy connections were between Belgian cities without a car. Perhaps you could go for 3 or 4 nights leaving early for Paris if you were ready. Do try to get to the small town of Damme, very close to Brugge and a favorite of our whole family. <BR> <BR>Sounds like a fun getaway. <BR> <BR>linda

geoff Oct 19th, 2001 05:59 AM

Brugge is it. Wonderful place and GREAT beer

Christina Oct 19th, 2001 09:45 AM

I liked Brugge very much but I think 3-4 days is just too much there, it would be boring as it's so small, although you could visit Brussels from there by train one day (have only been thru there but don't think it's very exciting). If I were you, I'd probably do Amsterdam instead, if you haven't been there before; there are some day trips you can make from Amsterdam easily by train, also, like Delft and Alkmeer ?( something like that where they have a cheese market)

KT Oct 19th, 2001 11:51 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me, assuming that you like food and art (and beer?). Train travel is very easy between all four of the places you mention -- short distances and frquent trains. The longest trip between any of them would be Brugge-Antwerp, which only takes about 1 1/4 hours. Brugge is, of course, the most touristy of the bunch. Antwerp would be a nice contrast -- lively, big, good museums, good cafes. Gent is somewhat of a cross between the two -- university city and capital of East Flanders, so it has more of a "real" feel than Brugge but is smaller than Antwerp. There are parts of Brussels that I really like, but it's harder to deal with because the good parts are so mixed in with unfortunate post-WWII redevelopment, so it's less immediately likeable than any of the others.

Betsy Oct 20th, 2001 10:51 AM

I had a similar amount of time on a trip a few years back. On the recommendation of a Belgian friend of mind, I spent 2 days in Mastricht, Netherlands than took the train to Brugges for 2 nights. The train connection was easy, both towns good for those without a car. Mastricht is one of the oldest towns in The Netherlands and is in the south where The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany converge. It is right on the Amstel and has a great pedestrian town center. Brugges is a wodnerful place as while being quite different than Mastricht.The train ride between the tow cities is I think a couple of hours with a possible switch in Antwerp.

linda Oct 20th, 2001 06:44 PM

kam, Betsy's idea sounds good to me. <BR> <BR>linda

Betsy Oct 21st, 2001 07:38 AM

Horribly embarassed about typos!Sorry.