Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris and ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-and-1077082/)

JimW321 Oct 30th, 2015 06:09 PM

Paris and ???

Planning a family vacation to Europe for July. Wife and 11 year old daughter. We know we want to do Paris for 5-6 days, but we are stuck on the other 5-6 days in either London or Rome. We are coming for the US, speak some French but certainly not fluent. Speak no Italian.

This is our first trip to Europe; plan to stay in apartments. In Paris we are staying in the 7th. Can anyone give a brief pros and cons of London vs. Rome for first timers? I understand that London is easier from a language barrier perspective, but I really want my daughter's first trip to be a special one so we encourage her to do more trips to Europe.

Thanks in advance.

Kathie Oct 30th, 2015 06:47 PM

What is your daughter interested in? Both London and Rome are worthy destinations, but quite different from each other. As often gets cited here, London is the largest city and has the most to do/see. But I'd choose on the basis of specific interests - Roman History? Theatre? Art (and what kind?)/ Music? Both destinations are special.

Andrew Oct 30th, 2015 07:05 PM

I've been to Europe ten times. I have never bothered to learn the local language, beyond a few words or phrases, and I've never had any problem getting by with just English (even if I occasionally encounter someone who doesn't speak English, say at a hotel or restaurant, I can generally find some way to communicate). Unless you are expecting to engage in long conversations with locals (I don't), the "language barrier" should be absolutely irrelevant to your choice. Most people in the tourist and hospitality industries in Europe speak at least a little English; many speak it fluently, especially younger people.

Here is another thought: consider more than just big cities. You can see more in France than just Paris. London, Rome, and Paris are all huge cities. As I visit Europe more, even though I love Paris, I am finding more of the charm in the smaller towns than in the big cities.

For example, in France, I loved the town of Colmar up in the Alsace region. I also enjoyed a few days in Normandy a few years ago. Besides the history there, it's beautiful countryside.

greg Oct 30th, 2015 07:58 PM

For this type of trip, language spoken is largely irrelevant.

London and Rome are very different destinations. If you have problem choosing one, you probably have not articulated what you want to get out your visit that helps you decide why you choose one over another. No one else can do this to make this trip a "special one".

Also you might want to rethink if you need to keep only the well known capitals. Depending on your goals, there might be many other destinations that pair better with Paris.

justineparis Oct 30th, 2015 08:57 PM

I have taken my 11 yr old to both Rome and London. ( and several other places) n
She loved both.. but gave the nod to Rome. Which I do not understand,, but that was her perspective..

She loved the seeing the Coliseum( kids are into the whole gladiators and lions thing) , she loved seeing St Peters( especially since she had already had seen Notre Dame in Paris, which she thought was wow.. but when she saw St Peters.. she was like .. this is double wow.

She liked Italian food .. moi not so much.. lol

Language is not an issue anywhere. Learn a few polite phrases where ever you go.. hello, thank you etc.

On the flip side.. London.. she loved the Victoria and Albert museum.. the jewels and old clothes.. and the Tower of London. she loved the history ..

My daughter loved Paris.. but do the prep.. its so much more interesting to kids with some prep.

kja Oct 30th, 2015 09:00 PM

I think Kathie and greg have given you some great advice -- have fun deciding on your main destinations and figuring out WHY you want to see them! Once you do, we'll be in a much better position to help you hone your plans.

janisj Oct 30th, 2015 10:28 PM

There is no right choice . . . It entirely depends on which city <i>you</i> want to see. Me personally, I'd choose London every time (I travel to the UK and other parts of Europe several times a year and try to squeeze at least a few days in London no matter which other places I visit)

But maybe your family would prefer Rome - just as valid a choice.

I don't have any kids myself but do have nieces and young cousins I've traveled with. Every one has adored London and Paris -- only two have been to Rome. One LOVED Rome more than anyplace else she has ever been. The other (her sister) truly hated Rome -- the traffic/graffiti actually scared her.

You need to get some guidebooks and make the decision yourselves.

pariswat Oct 30th, 2015 11:09 PM

In order of preference, my kids love London as nr1, Paris as nr2 and Rome would fall behind.

I agree that language should not be taken into consideration for such trips. We were in London recently and with their weird accent it was not that much easier than in Rome. :-)

Not worse than in Texas though ;-)

ducinaltum Oct 30th, 2015 11:12 PM

Agree with Kathie, Greg and others - check out the sights you're most interested in and go with your gut.

Also, one suggestion I have, which comes by way of some friends, is to check out the Mission Paris: Scavanger Hunt book (and one for London and one for Rome, see related links) to see if this something your daughter would enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Paris-.../dp/0989226743

My friends took their four children (10, 8, 7, almost 2) on a 3-week trip (first time for the kids), which included London and Rome. The kids really enjoyed the books and it helped them focus on what they were seeing and learn about it more, rather than getting bored so quickly. Perhaps it'd be interesting to your daughter as well? I read the reviews and some people even have older children who enjoyed the books, just depends on what piques her interest!

mamcalice Oct 31st, 2015 04:49 AM

Do some research with your daughter. Find some travel videos of London and Rome, look at guidebooks, etc. She may have ideas of her own. There is much more to see and do in London, she probably would enjoy the theatre. I might be tempted to save Rome for another trip when you could include more of Italy.

ira Nov 2nd, 2015 10:23 AM

Hi J,

My usual recommendation is fly into London, train to Paris, fly home.

Making London your first stop lets you slide into Europe while still being able to speak the language -- most of the time.

Will it really matter to any of you if you see Rome the next time around? :)

Have a great visit.

((I))

BigRuss Nov 2nd, 2015 10:44 AM

I'd do Ira's route in reverse because (1) shorter flight home from London against the wind, (2) you gain an hour going from Paris to London, but lose an hour (time change) going the opposite way.

You're going to be only marginally more capable of communicating in the UK - the motherland and the US are two countries separated by a common language: http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

kerouac Nov 2nd, 2015 01:17 PM

Don't worry about the language. Most of the tourists who come to France don't speak any French at all and yet they keep coming here anyway, again and again.

Just choose your other destination based on what attracts you. Rome would be an excellent choice.

jtpj777 Nov 3rd, 2015 07:20 AM

Rome could be pretty hot in July for walking around.

I think an 11 year old might enjoy London: so many things to do - Natural History Museum and Science Museum are close to the V and A and great fun for children. London Eye etc

pariswat Nov 3rd, 2015 07:26 AM

V and A ?

janisj Nov 3rd, 2015 07:47 AM

>>V and A ?<<

Normally written V&A = Victoria and Albert Museum

KTtravel Nov 3rd, 2015 08:23 AM

Another consideration. Rome can be quite hot in July which can dampen the enthusiasm for sight-seeing. I would probably choose London and Paris for a first trip.

Gretchen Nov 3rd, 2015 08:33 AM

While in Paris, hire Michael for at least one day to show you --and particularly your daughter--the museums. He is such an engaging person and a good teacher. You will ALL love the time with him. I'd do another day (a first one) for an overall site/sight seeing day with him also. It will more than maximize your time.

Wekiva Nov 3rd, 2015 08:42 AM

You mention 5/6 days twice. Can we assume that it might be 12 days overall? For me I'd do the following:
London 4 days
Paris 4 days
Lauterbrunnen Valley (3 days)
Fly out of Zurich/Geneva (1 day)

or

London 4 days
Paris 4 days
Rome 4 days (fly to rome)

It all depends on how much you like to settle down vs. move around a bit more. For our kids first trip when they were 11/12 we did the following:
London 3 days
Paris 3 days
Alps 2 days
Venice 2 days
Rome 4 days

We shot lots of video that the kids watch all the time. It appears we've awoken a love for travel in them with the trip. Let your daughter be involved in the planning.

justineparis Nov 3rd, 2015 08:45 AM

If one can afford a private tour of a museum is a great investment.
When I was 13 my grandmother hired a private guide for the whole day for me at the Louvre..amazing.. because my grandmother accompanied us the whole day.. and the guide did the tour for me in English ( my grandmother spoke no English) ..

I can honestly say it was the beginning of me loving museums.. the guide was engaging.. a younger lady from England finishing her studies in Paris. and she made everything we saw interesting and engaging.

When my dd was 11 we took a group tour of Louvre with "Iris" from Pariswalks.. she was excellent and my dd loved the tour and the Louvre.